Anyone gone from brunette to platinum blond?

(47 Posts)
macherie Fri 25-Jul-08 21:37:40

So, I took the plunge today and chopped off my long hair into an Agyness crop. I love it and it suits me(unfortunately, dd,4, is devastated as all mummies and princesses MUST have long hair - she bursts into tears every time she looks at me!!).

Anyway, I have dark brown hair, but I'm really tempted to go the whole way and bleach it blond. I suspect the maintainence would be a pain, but you only live once and all that....

Any advice?

I did it in my 20s
Short hair works better as platinum blonde than long if brunette, you are sort of looking for a fashion statement rather than faking it
I looked fantabulous, short cropped platinum blonde, had to fight men off with sticks, it was odd, as had obviously been nice enough looking as a brunette, but not fighting off with sticks standard.
My granny thought I looked better brown smile
I am too old to do it now though I reckon
Go for it
PS I could only do the upkeep a few times, the dark roots looked gross and so had to be touched up every 4 weeks and it got really pricey

My DD 4 hates me wearing trousers and also wails if the dress rule is broken

hester Fri 25-Jul-08 21:47:14

Yes, I've done it. Two things to watch out for:

1. Depending on how dark your hair is, you may have to bleach your hair twice before dyeing to get it light enough (assuming you're doing it at home - if at hairdresser they'll just leave the bleach on longer). This plays havoc with the quality of your hair. You can probably get away with this while your hair is in a short crop, but don't be tempted to keep bleaching on top of bleach if you grow it out. (I went through a phase of bleaching my dark blonde hair, then dyeing it black, then bleaching it up again - in the end my hair fell out, I kid you not; I was young and stupid and it taught me a good lesson!).

2. You may well have to adjust your make-up. It's very hard to go au naturel if you are platinum blonde - most of us look too washed out or pinky to get away with this. So do be prepared to have to put on a face full of slap every day.

But go for it: you'll regret not trying it at least once!

macherie Fri 25-Jul-08 21:47:22

That's what I was thinking, that the upkeep would bankrupt me, as my hair grows really quickly

macherie Fri 25-Jul-08 21:49:22

Ooo, I'm so tempted to do it!

Thomcat Fri 25-Jul-08 21:50:49

Why would you do that? Brunettes ROCK grin

Ledodgy Fri 25-Jul-08 21:51:20

We need a pic I think, and we'll tell you if it will suit you or not.

It was about £70/£80 a go, and that was 10 years ago.
Agree about the makeup, I looked too pink for a bit.
But then you get away with wearing simpler clothes, I just used to wear black (mind you that probably was mid 1990s fashion}
It was odd going back to a brunette again, people stopped noticing my hair

PavlovtheCat Fri 25-Jul-08 21:52:23

Oh what a great thread. I am about to do the same, cut my brunette (and somewhat prematurely greying) hair, and want to dye it platinum blonde.

Go for it!

What about eyebrows, do they need to be matched? My eye brows are really dark, so worried it would look daft.

Let us know if you do it, send us some pictures grin

I remember being freaked out by one of my own hairs on my pillow.
I thought, someone else has been sleeping in my bed.
Then I realised it was me.
I prefer being brunette, you do get a classier type of man chatting you up, but it was fun being blonde for a few months

Thomcat Fri 25-Jul-08 21:55:42

Blonde hair, Dark eyebrows and dark PUBES.
Should have done it when you were 14, NOT NOW.

Is this a mid life crisis moment of insanity??

But seriously < NO.

One word

macherie Fri 25-Jul-08 21:56:00

Can't put a picture up right now, but I'm very pale, greeny hazel eyes. Thinking today at the hairdressers that I was looking a bit washed out (or maybe that was just the harsh lighting!).

macherie Fri 25-Jul-08 21:59:19

OMG, Thomcat, I hadn't thought about a mid life crisis???Surely I have got to that point already. God, perhaps you're right shock

Thomcat Fri 25-Jul-08 22:00:05

LOL! Buy a Harley Davidson instead grin

Or a mini cooper clubman (my midlife crisis)

Dying hair less damaging than an affair though

PavlovtheCat Fri 25-Jul-08 22:04:28

macherie hairdressers are designed to make you look washed up, its done on purpose so you then say, oh how about adding some colour for a lot of money to make me feel better? Oh you do facials too? I shall have one while waiting for you to fit me in for the hair treatment, thank you very much'.

And they have two mirrors, one you look at as they run through what you are having done (the works as you look sooooo old) and the one you look in to see the final result {ooooh how much better I look} and subsequently tip them a shit load and return again for more.

macherie Fri 25-Jul-08 22:05:23

Darrell,my 2 ds are fascinated that mini coopers are only ever driven by very pretty girls where we live. And they always have lovely (long) hair.

smile at the minis
pavlov, that is so good to know
Will check it out at next appointment, although currently growing hair as less trims needed and therefore less hassle
Am a fan of short hair overall

macherie Fri 25-Jul-08 22:09:04

So relieved to hear that Pavlov, was considering replacing all mirrors and lighting in bathroom as it is clearly too flattering and I am deluding myself as I leave the house thinking I look alright!

Thomcat Fri 25-Jul-08 22:10:06

Ohhhhhhh teh Clubman. Lovely. My parents had a clubman when I was a kid. In a sort of orangey mustard colour. I loved it.

Would have hated it if my mum had dyed her hair blonde though grin Would probably have scarred me for life.

zippitippitoes Fri 25-Jul-08 22:11:42

an mp did this

i still find it

very odd

my mum used to dye her hair a nice brown colour, but one summer she put in some highlights and they went green in the pool
I was mortified
And actually I used to make her wear dresses rather than trousers

mp zippi?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now