Corporate Interview Bag

(16 Posts)
AteRiri Tue 29-Nov-16 20:59:21

I only have one leather bag that might pass for an interview bag but not sure.

The one in the picture - Marc by Marc Jacobs?

Do I have to get another bag? How about the Furla?

Or will the MJ do?

OCSockOrphanage Tue 29-Nov-16 21:01:33

EIther looks fine to me (but I am old). Surely the interview is for you, not your bag?

AteRiri Tue 29-Nov-16 21:03:58

Yes, but appearance is important in this job.

OCSockOrphanage Thu 01-Dec-16 20:42:14

It always is. The answer is something that clearly cost loads, but doesn't shout "I got this for an interview". I have a bag that originally cost $$$$, but which I bought on EBay. Even previously loved, it is a very posh bag just somewhat below radar, and therefore impossible to rate, unless you work in fashion TBH. If it is perfect with your outfit and top quality, it will state your taste and status without emphasis.

OCSockOrphanage Thu 01-Dec-16 20:46:00

It was all about your briefcase when I was young. I spent lots on them.

OCSockOrphanage Thu 01-Dec-16 20:50:05

Good luck!

worriedlassy Thu 01-Dec-16 21:02:02

I don't think it looks professional sorry. Second one is better although I'm not sure if notice someone's bag

YouSpinmeRound Thu 01-Dec-16 22:09:07

Nice Osprey work style bags in tk maxx and their website. If you can afford and it gives confidence

MontyPythonsFlyingFuck Thu 01-Dec-16 22:47:24

If you seriously think they'll be judging you on your bag, then the second is better than the first. But really - can you not borrow one if it's that important? Really, don't spend loads on a bag just for an interview.

For the record, I'm a management consultant. My current bags are an Osprey one (from TK Maxx) which takes loads of stuff, and a Knomo backpack for my laptop, papers, chargers, etc etc.

AteRiri Fri 02-Dec-16 03:54:52

Aside from the first bag, I don't have any other bag that's suitable. I have backpacks, crossbody bags but no corporate-ish bag.

RaisingSteam Fri 02-Dec-16 09:06:53

They won't judge you specifically on your bag but if it distracts (rucksack, bling handbag, Cath kidston) it will not help.

Having said that you could probably get a bag from TKMaxx that was tidy and understated. Is it a proper corporate job (law/banking etc) in which case you do need to look smart polished and expensive. Is it a laptop size bag/briefcase or just a handbag? If you have a few interviews coming up or expect to get the job and use it for work, probably worth investing.

AteRiri Sat 03-Dec-16 20:32:54

Logo bags no no?

These are on sale.

Pisssssedofff Sun 04-Dec-16 08:26:42

I've interviewed literally thousands of women and never looked at their bags and decided if they got the job or not.

PrettySophisticated Sun 04-Dec-16 08:43:07

I have a very slim case that's a cross between a handbag and a brief case. Came from next about 20 years ago.

It's completely useless really as it's so narrow you can't fit any proper files in but it's perfect for interview notes.

Both my sister and I have used it for every interview we've had in that time - in three different, quite varied industries and it's never failed. It's our lucky bag.

All of which is no help to you Op, except that whilst the bag needs to be appropriate, I don't think it needs to be expensive or new. Can you borrow something (like dsis does)?

PrettySophisticated Sun 04-Dec-16 08:44:27

Oh, XP. One if those industries was corporate banking. The bag did me proud there!

AteRiri Sun 04-Dec-16 09:05:21

PrettySophisticated - if I can borrow, I would. The problem is, I don't know anyone to borrow from. We're (relatively) new to this country, I have no female working friends.

My bags are literally all backpacks, little crossbodies, and that one bag in the post up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now