Smart tops for a cold morsel

(8 Posts)
h0rsewithn0name Sun 27-Nov-16 10:05:37

Venturing into s & b for a first time...

I'm moving up the management ladder and need to smarten up a bit. At the moment I'm wearing tailored trousers with long sleeved tops, but I feel the cold and I'm so tempted to add a cardi. I don't really want to move to jackets, as they would come off for comfort anyway. I've noticed that really smart people don't have layers - just sleeves that are elbow length.

Any ideas what I can wear? I want to stick with trousers - it's just the tops I'm struggling with. I'm quite a big girl - size 16, 5' 8" and I'm conscious of my sticky out stomach.

Thank you for reading.

phoolani Sun 27-Nov-16 10:58:37

What's wrong with a cardi? I virtually live in them in winter. Im not normally a fan of boden but they do a good cardi.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Sun 27-Nov-16 11:09:06

You could try swapping your long sleeved tops for thin cashmere jumpers, if your budget allows. They would give you the warmth of wool without the bulk. A short fitted cardigan over a smart top or blouse can look smart too.

You can also try invisible layers. Try a thermal vest top underneath, they're surprisingly warm.

hugoagogo Sun 27-Nov-16 11:10:36

I would just wear a cardigan and a vest or what about something like this?

N0tfinished Sun 27-Nov-16 11:15:23

Yes cashmere is really toasty but thin. I often pick up inexpensive kinds in TK Maxx, but you have to be quite particular about colour & style.

Timeforabiscuit Sun 27-Nov-16 11:17:31

Yup thermal or thinner under layers.

Cardigans are fine as long as they are cut to suit your shape.

I tend to wear pashmina type things at work which i wear as a scarf or shawl - office has unpredictable drafts!

Also thick socks help alot!

Judydreamsofhorses Sun 27-Nov-16 11:27:24

I wear a lot of blouses to work - usually with black skinny jeans, I am not especially smart - but at this time of year always with a long-sleeved thermal top underneath. (My favourites are the John Lewis version of Uniqlo heat-tech.) Just make sure the base layer is very fitted - i wear 8/10 when I am a 10/12 in proper clothes - so you don't get lumps and wrinkles.

h0rsewithn0name Sun 27-Nov-16 20:07:49

Ah so cardigans are not so sneered upon? I've been under an illusion all my life!

Will take a look a cashmere - thank you. I guess if my salary is going up then I may as well spend it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now