Right, I need some serious style intervention. Anyone up to the challenge, please>

(4 Posts)
regularbutpanickingabit Thu 24-Nov-16 15:52:45

I am probably now a size 18/20 but with slim legs and a really big sticky-out tummy. I am overweight around my neck and arms but not obese. However, my tummy looks pregnant at the best of times. I have long arms and legs so always need either a long size or 3/4 sleeves.

This belly is partly because of large fibroids, partly because of cut-through stomach muscles after multiple surgeries and partly because a long term injury has prevented any meaningful exercise for too long. It is, to be frank, not helped by a current issue with insomnia that has mean I am a sugar addict for the moment. I am working on that bit.

Anyway. I am about 5'10' with broad shoulders and a straight body - ribs practically touch my hip bones so even at my skinniest I have never had what you might refer to as a waist. I therefore cannot carry off anything with an A line skirt, cinched in waist or fussy waistline.

It's christmas soon, I have a new job and I really want to buy some clothes but I just don't know what to get.

As a guide, I used to always find bootcut (long length) jeans to be the most flattering and loved my bargain 7 for all mankind pairs. They are too small now. I have found the Next high waist jeans surprisingly ok but not quite as flattering.

I need long-line tops or at least something that doesn't highlight the fact that there is a belly protrusion sticking out under my scars as well as above. Not an attractive feature to have a double belly.

I want to feel elegant or cool, not old fashioned. My style used to be slightly off beat but understated. I am not a pearls and twinset person, neither am I an animal print or flowery person. Being tall and broad means plain is usually better than overly patterned.

I have a budget of about £150/200 all in and would like to get at least one or two bottoms and a couple of tops out of that if possible.

Job-wise I am currently in black trousers and a variety of tops. Trousers are being held up with a belt because they are too small around my waist. They are a size 16. Legs-wise they fit perfectly so i am definitely unbalanced.

I have bought a couple of nice tops from Phase 8 and otherwise seem stuck with old maternity clothes.

Any help much appreciated and apologies for the long post!

Momentumista Thu 24-Nov-16 16:58:43

For the bottoms, I would suggest Asos Farleigh jeans as they are super high waisted and great for saggy tum issues.

see here

Tops wise, how about a camisole top and a half buttoned up shirt? I find this works as the shirt gives a tailored look but wearing a cami under it means you don't have to do it all up which hides a multitude of sins.

This shirt is also nice & might give illusion of a waist.

JamieVardysParty Thu 24-Nov-16 17:52:41

Do you have very long legs? You sound like you could be short waisted. I'm the same and the same things you mentioned look awful on me too. I find that longer tops that hit just above mid thigh look flattering as they give the illusion that your body is longer. Something like this top with your existing trousers or these jeggings.

Shift style dresses are quite flattering at skimming over your middle. Something like this or this.

I love this shirt and these trousers.

Ruched pencil skirts can be quite flattering.

To go with your existing clothes, sometimes a new jacket can brighten it up. This is stunning and could work for work or going out, especially at Christmas.

regularbutpanickingabit Thu 24-Nov-16 19:59:42

Thanks for the ideas. I haven't heard of Farleigh jeans before, I think I might order a couple and see how they fit. Yep, I have long legs so I need to make sure I don't end up with ankle flappers.

I like the look of the pencil skirt. Not sure about the colour because I won't have much to match it with but the style might work, will definitely try and find something along those lines. I like the idea of that white shirt but i will need to try it on.

I'm sorry Jamie, apart from the skirt I am not so keen on the patterns of or material of the other ideas. You are right, longer tops to mid thigh are definitely good on me and a shift dress is a good idea. I just need to go looking for the right style. I tend to prefer things that are more understated.

Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now