Tipping your hairdresser

(86 Posts)
Blogwoman Tue 22-Nov-16 18:45:05

I'm confused about what's the norm, if there is such a thing, around tipping hairdressers in the UK. I've always done it and give about 10% of the cost of my bill. (I have a cut & blow dry in a salon every 6-8 weeks.) A conversation with colleagues recently revealed that some never tip. What do you do? If you're a hairdresser, what do you expect and how much variety in practice is there? I'm about to move to a different salon and don't want to get this wrong! Thanks

jelliebelly Tue 22-Nov-16 18:49:20

I don't tip except a tenner at Christmas

Bourdic Tue 22-Nov-16 18:56:14

I've known my hairdresser since she was my dd's friend in primary school and used to come to tea( about 30 years ago). She's lovely and works very hard. My usual is a wet cut which costs about £25. I tip her 10 % and put a £1 in for the young woman who washes my hair.

ThomasHardyPerennial Tue 22-Nov-16 19:11:45

Sometimes I tip, but not always. I do get her a christmas present without fail though! Have been going to her for 6 years, so hopefully not that weird blush.

Judydreamsofhorses Tue 22-Nov-16 19:40:37

I've been going to the same hairdresser for about eight years - I pay £62 every six weeks religiously, and tend not to tip as I think that's plenty. However, I often go in for a "free" fringe trim between appointments, and always leave £5 then. I bring a bottle of prosecco in for her before Christmas too.

AgeingArtemis Tue 22-Nov-16 20:43:33

I have clipper cut and go to a unisex place where they charge me the "mens" rate (I didn't have the cheek to ask, they just did it) so I always tip in recognition that they are doing me a favour, and I still save 10 quid

Statelychangers Tue 22-Nov-16 21:27:10

I pay around £70 a cut - I don't tip, I feel that's enough. I don't tip my plumber either!

Blogwoman Tue 22-Nov-16 21:28:31

Thanks for your replies. Quite a lot of variety amongst just a few of us here then. Judy I'm paying not a lot less than you & do wonder if an expensive cut means they pay their staff well (I hope so!) & that I'm payed by enough in that price, as you say. Fair enough to tip for your 'free' fringe trim. I feel a bit embarrassed at the lack of clear etiquette! Any hairdressers here?

Blogwoman Tue 22-Nov-16 21:29:09

Paying not payed

1frenchfoodie Tue 22-Nov-16 21:29:31

I tip my usual hairdresser 25% but that is cause at £12 the haircut is a bargain so I always hand over £15. Previously I've left a tip of 5-10% but only if I liked the service.

lapsedorienteerer Tue 22-Nov-16 21:30:03

I have a wet cut every 6-8 weeks at approx £26, I always tip around £2-£2.50 (10%) if I have the change.

FunnysInLaJardin Tue 22-Nov-16 21:30:44

I never tip. I pay around £60 for a cut and dry and about £150 if you add a colour. Tipping seems archaic to me. Why is it that waiters and hairdressers still expect to be tipped? Loads of folk are self employed or on the minimum wage, but we don't tip them confused

FunnysInLaJardin Tue 22-Nov-16 21:31:20

oh and taxi drivers. Why do we tip them?

Polkadot1974 Tue 22-Nov-16 21:32:46

I tip the lady who does my sons' hair but not mine as at £50 it's a bit ouch already!

SparklesandBangs Tue 22-Nov-16 21:39:18

My hair costs around £90 a time (5weeks) and is done by the salon owner and has been for years. Never tip her, it would be odd, if the junior is around and helps then she gets a couple of quid.

At Christmas it's big tips and bottles of fizz

idontlikealdi Tue 22-Nov-16 21:42:48

Nope never tip. I pay way enough already for highlights and a cut and blow dry.

Judydreamsofhorses Tue 22-Nov-16 22:39:37

blogwoman I think there's so much variety because there is no clear etiquette. It's a much easier system in the US. To me a tip is in recognition of great service - although admittedly I would generally tip in a restaurant unless the service was crap - whereas for others it would seem odd or rude not to tip. I work as a lecturer and often get gifts from students when they leave to graduate - last summer both my leaving classes clubbed together and got me really generous, amazing, thoughtful presents and I was so, so touched, but I'd never expect a "tip".

bojorojo Tue 22-Nov-16 23:53:54

As my bill is usually about £90-£120 every six weeks, that is enough and I pay happily and have done for years. I do not tip and I expect the staff to be paid a fair wage.

Also, why do we not tip shop assistants when they are helpful, but doing their job? What about tipping a fireman, a nurse or a policemen? They are just doing their jobs too. Why do we just tip hairdressers, beauticians, cab drivers and waiters? But not the bus driver! Lots of people work in service jobs, but why do some get tips and others don't? I prefer the attitude of the Swiss. No tips - pay the going rate.

CointreauVersial Tue 22-Nov-16 23:55:40

Have never tipped a hairdresser - it wouldn't occur to me!

bojorojo Wed 23-Nov-16 00:01:22

The system in the US adds loads to the bill and good service is so diffiuclt to judge. In the US, you have to add the tax and then double the tax for the tip. We have friends who regularly tip 20% in the States. Even at the less generous levels, this usually ups the price you have originally seen by at least 25% in most States. So $100 becomes $108 (with tax) and with the tip becomes $124 (tax and tip) - minimum. Obviously more if the tax is 10%. I do not find it easy at all. On a recent visit, service was not good either, but a tip is expected and in one restaurant we were reminded of the tipping policy before we started our meal. Not good!

WidowTwonky Wed 23-Nov-16 00:02:33

I thought the rule was you don't tip 'senior' stylists. But you do any other grades, especially the junior who washes your hair

Xmasbaby11 Wed 23-Nov-16 00:02:34

I've tipped the hair washer a pound or two and sometimes the stylist. But I dobt think it's necessary. It wouldn't occur to me to tip at Xmas. The only person I tip at Xmas is our office cleaner. That is a truly shit job.

AbsoluteGonk Wed 23-Nov-16 00:34:51

I don't tip hairdressers (or office cleaners!). I think it's demeaning for them. They're being paid to do their job and don't need me coming across as Lady Bountiful and proffering a few quid.

Florathefern Wed 23-Nov-16 01:54:15

Before I became a SAHM, I went to a salon every two months and spent 150 pounds. For years I left 5 pounds as a tip but was always a bit embarrassed leaving it. Then I realised, that I was probably on less money than they were and nobody tipped me for working so I stopped and I never tip anymore. Then again, I'd be lucky to go to the salon two or three times a year these days!

LadyOfTheCanyon Wed 23-Nov-16 11:38:13

I find the whole thing really stressful.. I work as a florist and do not expect tips. I am on not much over minimum wage and create things for people based on my training and talent, so on a par with a hairdresser surely? Yet when I go to have my hair cut I give the hair washing girl about £3 and my stylist a tenner. In my head I begrudge it but ' go with the flow' as it were ( I live in London.)
Am currently in NY on holiday and the tipping system is bizarre. I get that they expect tips to ' top up' their wages, however in a lot of places service has been distinctly average in a way that if I was in the UK I wouldn't dream of tipping.. And prices aren't cheap to start with!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now