I need easy, natural make up and lesson - Bobbi Brown?

(10 Posts)
Shantotto Sun 20-Nov-16 22:38:17

Just hit 37 and am trying to look after myself a bit more. Got some lovely skincare for my birthday and am really trying to use it properly. For most of the last year my face was lucky to get water splashed on it since DS was born.

My skin is very pale but also very rosy cheeked, a bit freckled too and I always look exhausted and rubbish. My face is quite bumpy and goes red at the slightest hint of wind or sun.

I've been thinking for ages of sorting out a bit of make up I can chuck on in 5 minutes and look a bit better. I have no idea how to apply it either! So thinking of booking something at a shop or counter.

My budget won't be huge but I thought I could invest in base and then cheaper mascara or eye shadow or lipstick or something? Although I didn't realise quite how expensive Bobbi Brown was! I'd just heard somewhere it's good for a natural look.

I've no idea what I'm doing! Just after any tips or opinions I suppose. I went to a Space NK for help with what to use on my skin and they were good - anyone know if they do make up tutorials too? I definitely need a real life someone to help me make sure I'm using the right shade and to show to apply this stuff properly!

ElizaSchuyler Sun 20-Nov-16 22:41:30

We were very impressed by dds teen beauty make up lesson at Bobbi Brown. I took her in an attempt to stop herself making herself look like she had a dirty face with contour.

We bought the tinted moisturiser then colour matched cheaper versions of most other stuff.

Shantotto Sun 20-Nov-16 22:49:12

Hah, sounds like what my attempts at contouring would be! It's the tinted moisturiser I'm thinking about so I can whack it on and not have to worry too much. Hopefully.

LadyLapsang Sun 20-Nov-16 22:58:56

I've had good experiences with Bobbi Brown, Chanel and Space NK. No pressure to purchase although I did buy some products, but not all. I picked up some good tips from the Bobbi Brown lesson, e.g. using their foundation brush - makes a big difference. I will probably go back in the next few weeks as you can have lessons that focus on a particular area, eyes / party etc.

Shantotto Mon 21-Nov-16 07:29:47

I might pop into Space NK as well then. I think I disappointed them when I went in there and had to explain my moisturiser budget wasn't quite £100!

Someone's suggested Benefit to me, but I read that the bases aren't that great and they are a similar price to the Bobbi Brown.

JamieVardysParty Mon 21-Nov-16 13:54:53

Bobbi Brown is great for a natural, still look like you but a bit more groomed sort of look. It is fairly expensive but does last. I'd probably get their tinted moisturiser (or Laura Mercier is very good), Slopes blush, an eyebrow pencil and a pinky-nude lipstick. You can get away with a cheaper mascara.

Maybe it's worth asking for some department store vouchers for Christmas.

polyhymnia Mon 21-Nov-16 14:00:05

Have found Bobbi Brown advice really good.

Imfinehowareyou Mon 21-Nov-16 14:07:54

Watching with interest. I want this for my Christmas present but can't decide between Bobbi Brown or Mac. Am imtimidated by Mac though blush

Costacoffeeplease Mon 21-Nov-16 14:18:01

I use Laura geller balance and brighten, absolutely foolproof and gives a natural look. You can get it from QVC (with 30 day money back guarantee) or I think debenhams stock it too

Laststop Mon 21-Nov-16 14:20:07

Mac do a lesson for 50 pounds but they give you the 50 pounds to spend at the end of that makes sense , so then maybe buy one or two bits and source cheaper alternatives for the others but they will show you how to use difficult products

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now