Would you wear a leather skirt for work?

(33 Posts)
OutComeTheWolves Sun 20-Nov-16 01:48:57

That's pretty much it to be honest. I bought this pencil skirt from River Island a month or so ago. I've worn it once it twice for nights out but I can't decide if it would be OK for work with maybe tights and a blouse or if it's leatherness makes it too risky?

I work in a school if that makes any difference!

Joinourclub Sun 20-Nov-16 01:51:12

Yes it does make a difference! Not appropriate for school staff in my opinion.

oldlaundbooth Sun 20-Nov-16 01:57:48

Meh, I'd wear it. With a roll neck. And flat boots. It's not like it's very short.

TheCatsAway Sun 20-Nov-16 01:59:33

I did. I had a suit- pencil skirt and fitted jacket. Wore it with a cashmere twinset or a girls on motorcycles t-shirt. But that was in a media office in Lothe early naughties, run by a gay guy and a FtM. They called me Emma Peel or Bond Girl and asked when the Avengers remake was happening. In a good way.

I imagine school colleagues and pupils might not be so nice though.

paxillin Sun 20-Nov-16 02:02:35

It's perhaps a little too dominatrix for school. Lovely for a night out of course.

TheMightyMing Sun 20-Nov-16 02:52:25

I have several and I wear them for work with jumpers, bodies and ankle boots .

CrazyOldBagLady Sun 20-Nov-16 02:59:23

It's a 'going out' skirt I think. I wouldn't wear it for the office.

MsUnderstanding Sun 20-Nov-16 07:17:10

I do. With an oversized jumper, shirt or t shirt. I don't work in a school.

FrustratedFrugal Sun 20-Nov-16 07:34:55

I sometimes do, and I don't look like a dominatrix. Tone it down and it will be fine.

PeepshowPeg Sun 20-Nov-16 07:46:32

I had a teacher, Miss Williams, who taught my 7 year old self in 1981. She wore leather mini skirts, white frouffy blouses and heels. Her hair was like Bonnie Tyler's and her mascara was electric blue.
Man, she rocked. I thought she was bees knees. She was also one of my favourite teachers.
Back to the OP, yes, I would wear it for work. (I'm in healthcare).

OutComeTheWolves Sun 20-Nov-16 07:53:04

Bit of a mixed one.

If it helps, my work wardrobe is very uninspired at the minute and I've been trying to channel Sharon Horgan's wardrobe in catastrophe ie colourful and with personality yet still work and age appropriate (whilst also saving money by using clothes I've already got which are pretty much all grey hmm). You won't be shocked to know that I haven't quite managed it yet.

OutComeTheWolves Sun 20-Nov-16 07:54:48

Peepshow your teacher sounds fab!

flopsypopsymopsy Sun 20-Nov-16 08:14:16

Yes, in an office with a twin set or a polo neck.

Not sure I would wear it if I worked in a school.....

DottieDoLittle Sun 20-Nov-16 08:50:00

I'm a teacher and wire a skirt almost identical to that last week!

DottieDoLittle Sun 20-Nov-16 08:50:17

*wore

Floisme Sun 20-Nov-16 11:43:07

I think 10 years ago, that would have been fine in a school but their dress codes seem to have really changed. A lot of schools expect a much more corporate look these days - which is funny as other workplaces are going in the opposite direction. So I would tread carefully and take my cue from other staff.

SinglePringle Sun 20-Nov-16 11:47:14

Yep. With black stilettos, bare legs and a 'rock' / band t-shirt with the sleeves rolled up. Or with a bright pink silk blouse. Or a black, slim fitting round necked black jumper.

I do wear the above outfits to work.

DandelionAndBedrock Sun 20-Nov-16 11:52:46

When I saw the title, I was going to say "no, but I work in a school so it wouldn't be very appropriate, and I am quite large so it wouldn't be very flattering."

I stand by the first part of that. Actually, I think the length is fine, the cut is fine, and the leather-ness is fine, but the three together are a bit much. A knee length A-line leather skirt? Maybe. A long tight pencil skirt? Maybe. Depends in part on your age group. I teach KS1 and would wear a leather A-line skirt with a cardi/jumper. If I had nice legs and a nice bum I would wear a pencil skirt. I would feel much less comfortable doing that if I taught secondary age children.

Sugarandsalt Sun 20-Nov-16 12:32:12

I have a leather pencil skirt that I wear to work with a black polo neck. With opaque black tights and sensible shoes.

mnistooaddictive Sun 20-Nov-16 12:35:35

As a teacher I say definitely not.

Redcrayons Sun 20-Nov-16 12:43:18

Are you the slightly bohemian drama teacher?
I'd feel a bit overdressed in my office, but no one would really notice as I work with blokes.

FlowerOfTheValley Sun 20-Nov-16 12:46:55

I've worn a leather skirt to work on a number of occasions and it hasn't been an issue.

As your skirt is of a decent length I would consider it acceptable for a teacher in this day and age.

Judydreamsofhorses Sun 20-Nov-16 13:17:25

I have a faux leather skirt and a suede skirt, both black, and I wear both to work. I'm a lecturer. I wear them with opaque tights, a crew neck or polo neck jumper and flat Chelsea boots.

Pisssssedofff Sun 20-Nov-16 14:58:48

Office I'd say borderline, creatives yes. Teacher just no unless you want to be the subject of school boys erm dreams.
They need very little encouragement

iminshock Sun 20-Nov-16 14:59:52

Ha ha no

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now