When your chin bristles start poking thru but are too short to pluck...

(42 Posts)
ChickenVindaloo2 Sat 19-Nov-16 19:07:27

Gah! I can feel the sharp thick nubbin of black hair poking out my chin.
But it's too short to pluck, even with my tweezermans and so, in trying to get it out, I have created what looks like a spot!

Is it just me? How do you deal with the few days when the bugger is only rearing its head?!

Thanks!

eurochick Sat 19-Nov-16 19:14:06

Facial scrub will probably reveal enough to let you get it.

Janey50 Sat 19-Nov-16 19:18:39

I know exactly what you mean so I just shave mine every 3 - 4 days while I'm in the shower! Only takes a minute. I use a really good quality razor for a very close shave. Thankfully I'm fair so I don't get the issue if dark hairs (99% of the time anyway,do get the odd rogue black one). So much easier than waiting for the little blighters to get long enough to pluck.

rightknockered Sat 19-Nov-16 19:20:08

scrape the skin around it to remove dead ski(with my nail - sorry), use a magnifying mirror and keep trying. Otherwise the red mark will only draw attention to it. Try to not look at the other 3 half dozen little fuckersbuggering bastards

Janey50 Sat 19-Nov-16 19:22:00

And for anyone saying shaving makes them grow back quicker,I can honestly say there is no difference between shaving and plucking. Shaving makes it feel slightly more stubbly but if it's being shaved off every few days,I don't see the problem.

ClarissaDarling Sat 19-Nov-16 19:23:54

Me too!! I keep getting the buggers and they pop up over night- it's these random white thick bristly ones that I hate!!

InfiniteSheldon Sat 19-Nov-16 19:24:16

My dh gets out the magnifying glass to do mine for me we know how to live

FreeButtonBee Sat 19-Nov-16 19:24:33

This is where aha/bha is amazing at dissolving the top layer of skin and letting the buggers through. Pixi glow/nip and fab pads/olay anti wrinkle toner all excellent for this. Honestly I am your hairy aunty Mary and this at lest gives me a chance to get the fuckers out

Manumission Sat 19-Nov-16 19:26:36

At what age can we expect this fun?

Would exfoliating work like with post-epilated legs?

pklme Sat 19-Nov-16 19:46:22

Ooh, free, that sounds good! I try not to pluck because I get spots where they come through... The exfoliators you mention would help with that.

pklme Sat 19-Nov-16 19:46:51

Manumission, 46 I reckon for me.

Manumission Sat 19-Nov-16 20:05:11

Not long then sad

Lules Sat 19-Nov-16 20:07:11

I got there in my late 20s! I do have PCOS though

ChickenVindaloo2 Sat 19-Nov-16 20:18:37

I have about 3 thick chin bristles. They developed when I was 30.

ChickenVindaloo2 Sat 19-Nov-16 20:18:51

I'm 33 now and it will probs get worse!

PickAChew Sat 19-Nov-16 20:19:49

I hate that stage. Can't stop scratching at it.

JennyOnAPlate Sat 19-Nov-16 20:22:29

I have a chin full of whiskers and I'm 37! I do have pcos though.

Howtocatchastar Sat 19-Nov-16 20:25:51

Mine have got a lot worse since having children! Always been hairy, but worsened with age 😐

I've already told my husband if anything happens to me and I'm not able to groom myself, make sure you pop some hair removal cream on my face once a week, I'm sure I'd end up with a goatee within a few weeks (I check every day, but if I leave it a couple of days, there's always about 20 new hairs popping though :-(

NotAMammy Sat 19-Nov-16 20:38:27

I have had three chin hairs and two on my cheek (on a mole) since I was probably in my early 20s. I tend to either give them a squeeze to try and push them out further or just bring a pair of tweezers in my bag until the magic moment when they are long enough to pluck.
Fuckers.

Although this reminds me that I need to veet my tash tonight. The joys of being a dark haired, pale skinned, hairy mary.

wobblywonderwoman Sat 19-Nov-16 20:41:00

I had laser treatment for mine and it was great for five years and the buggers returned. So I am using sensitive very in the meantime - I used to created big spots/scars

I love mumsnet as this is the type of tricky thing you can't discuss

Pollyanna9 Sat 19-Nov-16 20:47:09

I've got about 6 on my chin - they're like wires!

I can tell you what hasn't worked:
- exfoliating of any type
- shaving
- waxing
- plucking

No matter what I try I get horrific ingrown hairs - my chin looks absolutely awful with at least three 'spots' at any one time whether they be about to emerge so with a nearly spot and red and angry to finally come out (if they do) and then they're all flaky and dry. It looks awful.

I get ingrown hairs all over and in the last 2 summers having shaved my legs they would go into incredible itching and bumps and I couldn't stop myself from scratching them raw (then couldn't wear skirts or dresses!).

So now I've bought a laser hair removal wotsit (a home one) and am about 4 treatments in doing my legs, chin, armpits, bikini area.

I'm not sure yet how it's going to work with the chin hairs because when I pluck them out they're white and hair removal lasers work on light skin and dark hair - so I'll have to play it by ear and see how it goes on the chin.

As I speak today in order to remove a slightly proud hair I used the razor and promptly it bled like a bugger and I've had to walk round today with make up caked on top of a huge red scab!

P1nkP0ppy Sat 19-Nov-16 20:48:14

I seem to only notice when they're an inch long, nothing one day but there the next 😡 If I spot the bugger earlier then I scrub it with a facecloth until it emerges probably exactly what you're not meant to do!
My tache gets epilated when I do my legs; very ouchy the first time but used to it now.

megletthesecond Sat 19-Nov-16 20:48:25

You need tweezermans.

I had this fun from 39 hmm.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 20-Nov-16 14:25:50

Tweezerman Pointy Ended Tweezers

If you can feel the little spikey blighters, these tweezers will get them.

MeadowHay Sun 20-Nov-16 19:12:06

I'm in my early twenties and already have this problem. Unfortunately I'm just a hairy lady and it doesn't help that my hair is thick and dark and my skin pale. sad

Agree with PP that one second I can't find any particularly visible, then next day there suddenly can be a handful of huge thick dark ones! confused

I just leave them til pluckable with tweezers. I get my entire face threaded about once a month or something though to help keep me sane or it really affects my self-esteem. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now