Help! Mouldy musty smell in leather bag!

(6 Posts)
Itsautumn Fri 18-Nov-16 17:55:34

I have inherited a lovely small leather clutch. However it absolutely reeks of that mouldy musty smell. I have cleaned it and wiped it down with antiseptic wipes and then a diluted vinegar solution but no success!
Does anyone have any ideas of how to get rid off the smell?
Tia

pinkmagic1 Fri 18-Nov-16 18:06:10

You can put it in a suitcase with coffee granules inside for a couple of weeks. This normally does the Trick, although smells of coffee for a while after, better than musty smell though.

Lanaorana1 Fri 18-Nov-16 18:21:08

Turn it inside out if you can and dettol fresh air it. leave it outside for a couple of days, this weather will kill any remaining mould fast.

Sgtmajormummy Fri 18-Nov-16 18:34:42

I would put bicarbonate of soda into it. Just a tablespoon swished and shaken around inside like talcum powder. Leave it a day, brush it out and it should have got rid of the smell.

I've found that with Indian leather the smell is really strong. Urine is often used in the tanning process

Whatthefoxgoingon Fri 18-Nov-16 19:03:15

If you don't want to brush out the bicarbonate, put a pile on a tissue, rest it in the bag and close it. Leave it overnight to absorb the smell.

Itsautumn Fri 18-Nov-16 20:48:18

Thank you all for the tips!! flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now