Anyone had a tummy tuck ?

(44 Posts)
habibihabibi Fri 18-Nov-16 10:51:34

Mess of a mid section due to multiple c-sections .
I am wondering what the pain, recovery time and results were like ?
How much did it cost?

startingtolooklikemother Fri 18-Nov-16 10:57:02

I'm also very interested, had C section and despite weight loss it just hangs there.

bellabelly Fri 18-Nov-16 10:58:12

Ooh, will watch with interest - I DREAM of having a tummy tuck! 2 twin pregnancies and 2 c-sections have not been kind!

paap1975 Fri 18-Nov-16 11:01:07

No babies here but lots of spare skin at stretch marks after losing 20kg. Not sure I'm brave enough for the op

bellabelly Fri 18-Nov-16 11:27:08

That's my problem with the idea, papa. Am a coward.

Pisssssedofff Fri 18-Nov-16 12:08:07

I e had a boob job which everyone in real life told me was soooo painful, huge recovery time etc. If you've had kids anything short of a head transplant is no big deal any more if you ask me. I've not had a Caesarian but I genuinely can't think there's much more painful things in life

habibihabibi Fri 18-Nov-16 15:35:59

I asked a general surgeon when I had a minor op and he said it is likely it is more painful and takes longer to recover than a CS .I guess the difference is there isn't a baby needing feeding and keeping you up. I have looked on plastic surgery forums but the posters are mainly American and doing multi ( and quite frightful IMO) procedures. I just would love the saggy skin and pouchy bit to go away from my tummy .

margaritasbythesea Fri 18-Nov-16 15:45:38

Yes me too. Ive done a gazillion sit ups but its still there like an ugly apron.

Ive got a friend who is super fit and she still has it.

ShesAStar Fri 18-Nov-16 15:51:21

My friend is a midwife and she told me that anyone who has a taught and toned stomach after childbirth has had a tummy tuck. The skin has to go somewhere. I'd love to have one due to stretch marks from DC1 but I'm scared how painful it would be and also I wouldn't have any idea who to go to. Some of the botched body type programmes make me think 'better the devil you know'

Ilovehedgehogs Fri 18-Nov-16 15:52:27

I have had both, a tummy tuck was incredibly painful, very, very difficult to manage for me. I would have it done again in a heartbeat though.
I will always be a chunky lady but I love not having that hanging skin.

SasherinSuite Fri 18-Nov-16 16:03:03

I would love a tummy tuck and also repair to my diastatis recti but I just wouldn't be able to manage the recovery time. Isn't it about 6 weeks? Similar to a hysterectomy? No driving etc?

Ilovehedgehogs Fri 18-Nov-16 16:28:50

That was the biggest reason for me, my muscles put back together, it has done that. I couldn't have done it with little ones without bags of help.
My youngest is 14 so I waited a while wink

GipsyDanger Fri 18-Nov-16 16:32:53

I have made a deal with myself. I want to be back to my goal weight for my 30th birthday and I will go for a tummy tuck. Pain and scars don't bother me. I hate the way my stomach looks

Ilovehedgehogs Fri 18-Nov-16 16:35:07

I have had a breast reduction which was a walk in the park in comparison.

Pisssssedofff Fri 18-Nov-16 17:06:29

Scared to ask, was it expensive ?
Can you just not bother losing the weight and have the tummy tuck instead or does it not work like that ?
Thanks

wizzywig Fri 18-Nov-16 17:09:39

Paid 5k for mine in the uk. Well worth it. Not as painful as a csection

ShesAStar Fri 18-Nov-16 17:11:49

How did you go about sourcing someone you trusted?

Pisssssedofff Fri 18-Nov-16 17:13:30

That's the hardest bit, finding a surgeon. My boobs need redoing next year and my previous surgeon who was a bit tactless but fab has vanished

Ilovehedgehogs Fri 18-Nov-16 17:21:14

It took about a year for me to find the right surgeon, I used to be a nurse so I used my contacts to find people who had worked in theatre with the ones that I was interested in.
I was warned off the one that I thought I would use and recommended another one. He was fantastic, does lots of NHS work too

I think it's very similar to a Caesarian, it's a bigger area that is cut though (depending on whether you have a full TT), so that needs to be taken in to account.

Ilovehedgehogs Fri 18-Nov-16 17:21:36

Sorry, mine was nearly 7k.

Ilovehedgehogs Fri 18-Nov-16 17:25:44

Have you looked on this forum? My surgeon posts on here. It's quite a good one.

www.realself.com/question/tummy-tuck-pain-c-section

I had a tummy tuck last year. Skin was destroyed after many gynae related abdominal ops and a c section. I had a two inch muscle separation and what was essentially a rubber ring of dead skin from being cut so many times.

Paid 7.5k in the South East. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

Recovery was slow and hard - not so much painful, but very hard on the body.

habibihabibi Fri 18-Nov-16 18:52:45

I do look at realself hedgehogs but haven't seen many UK ops .
Is it totally worth the pain and money ?
I wonder since I am 40 + everything is going to catch up in terms of slackness soon. I am not really a looks body obessed person but find it so annoying that I have to dress like I am pregnant or really plus sized to cover my tum.
If only there was a painless procedure .
That is my real concern

Ilovehedgehogs Fri 18-Nov-16 18:57:13

Yes, absolutely worth it. I am not body conscious or even very groomed but my muscles were shot and it was affecting my back and my posture.
I can pm my surgeon if you like? I am SE.

Onthewingofaswift Fri 18-Nov-16 18:57:53

I had one as part of a breast reconstruction. Before that I'd lost a lot of weight and had an overhang. The pain was really the first day when I felt like a medicine ball had been thrown at my abdomen. Then it got much better and my recovery was smooth. I got myself as fit as I could for it by walking and swimming. The result was fantastic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now