Are these shoes just too frumpy?

(89 Posts)
88blueshoes Wed 16-Nov-16 14:09:49

I'm 31. Prefer wearing heels if possible but they need to be comfy as although I work in an office I spend a lot of time walking about.

Tried flat loafer style but they just didn't work for me at all.

A friend told me about Hotter shoes and I've ordered a pair which are super comfortable and would go with loads of outfits (I wear a lot of blue/burgundy/purple dresses). I realise they're not super stylish high fashion, obviously. But would you say they are:

a) run of the mill office shoes, which will go with lots of things
b) frumpy old lady

I'm going for a), obviously! Thanks in advance!

these are the shoes, in navy

ExConstance Wed 16-Nov-16 14:12:09

Just about A, but I loathe Hotter with a vengeance. I know I should wear comfy shoes for work, but I either wear ones I have to take off under the desk by lunch time or bike boots which are not really smart enough.

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Wed 16-Nov-16 14:12:42

My nan had shoes like that, but I personally wouldn't have put her in the "frumpy" category. Smartly comfortable is how my mum described how she dressed.

Dunno if that helps you at all.

MrsRonBurgundy Wed 16-Nov-16 14:13:42

B. Definitely definitely B.

chemicalCat Wed 16-Nov-16 14:16:06

ExConst, agreed on "Hotter" but those are not the worst I've seen of theirs.

On balance, I wouldn't.

88blueshoes Wed 16-Nov-16 14:18:28

Sigh, this is what I feared. Think they will be going back. It's a shame as they ARE really comfy!

TallulahTheTiger Wed 16-Nov-16 14:19:56

Sorry I Defo don't like and think B! What were those Clarks shoes someone posted who had similar issues.....

mummarichardson Wed 16-Nov-16 14:20:16

Sorry but B, very real struggle striking the balance i know

imjessie Wed 16-Nov-16 14:21:09

I'm 42 and wouldn't be seen in them but I don't work In an office . The black are a lot better than the silver to be honest . I have tricky feet though so I do feel your pain ( in more ways than one ) .. try m and s insolia !

Fairylea Wed 16-Nov-16 14:22:46

I have these www.clarks.co.uk/p/26119822 which are very comfortable and slightly less frumpo than hotter shoes I think. (But what do I know! grin)

Fairylea Wed 16-Nov-16 14:23:18

(Navy and office shoes)!

HappyGirlNow Wed 16-Nov-16 14:23:25

B but that's being kind...

Bluntness100 Wed 16-Nov-16 14:24:37

B absolutely b, like old lady shoes. Will probably make uour legs look shit too.

Flossiesmummy Wed 16-Nov-16 14:26:59

My nan (80) has a pair just like that. B, sorry.

MidnightVelvetthe7th Wed 16-Nov-16 14:27:09

Who gives a shit what anyone else thinks, if you like them then wear them! They are inoffensive & don't scream 'Hotter' at you like some of them do grin

The most comfy boots I've ever had were from Hotter, these ones:

www.hotter.com/gb/en/samia-boots

burnishedsilver Wed 16-Nov-16 14:29:04

They're like something the queen mother would have worn.

88blueshoes Wed 16-Nov-16 14:29:45

midnight I would usually agree with you, but the thing is I don't really like them...but all the shoes I do actually like are just not comfy enough to wear all day!

I suppose I'm going for inoffensive and age appropriate grin. You wouldn't think that would be so hard!

ErrolTheDragon Wed 16-Nov-16 14:30:25

I'd say they are inoffensive and probably no-one will notice or think about them one way or the other. They're sort of the equivalent of blokes plain black (far more comfortable than ladiesenvy) shoes.

ErrolTheDragon Wed 16-Nov-16 14:32:07

That was an x-post not echoing your 'inoffensive' btw.

MidnightVelvetthe7th Wed 16-Nov-16 14:33:11

88 at Hotter prices you have to really like them! smile

Petal02 Wed 16-Nov-16 14:55:08

As a previous poster just said – I doubt anyone will notice them! To be honest, I rarely notice what anyone’s got on their feet unless they clearly can’t walk properly. I had an ankle op three years ago, and during convalescence, found myself in footwear’s twilight zone – however I did my best to compensate by dressing as well as possible, and I think I got away with it! If anyone noticed my temporary ‘comfort shoes’ they certainly didn’t comment.

So OP, I don’t actually think those shoes are too bad at all. Granted they’re not high fashion, but they’re inoffensive, and if you can walk comfortably, and feel OK in them, then it’s a ‘yes’ from me.

RebelandaStunner Wed 16-Nov-16 16:11:38

B but not B
Frumpy but any self respecting old lady wouldn't be seen dead in them.

BusterGonad Fri 18-Nov-16 04:38:27

As soon as I pressed the link and Hotter was in the search bar I already knew the answer. Sorry OP but definitely B with out a shadow of a doubt!

FenellaMaxwell Fri 18-Nov-16 05:34:54

I don't think even my grandma would wear them - sorry OP! Hotter shoes are really hideous.

nooka Fri 18-Nov-16 05:45:16

They look pretty nondescript to me, I don't see why they wouldn't be fine for work. Then again I wear Mary Janes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now