Please find me a 'going to a do' outfit

(12 Posts)
poppym12 Wed 16-Nov-16 10:48:09

It's a party at a hotel. Not overly dressy as in evening wear but I want to look chic and stylish nice.

I never go out and I never dress up. My 'style' would probably be categorised as scandinavian. No frills, patterns or bright colours. My colouring is soft/muted summer. I'm a size 16 and I hate my huge thunderthighs.

I've unsuccessfully trawled so many websites looking for something I might feel ok in that I have now given up and am thinking of not going. Budget isn't huge (as I don't expect to ever wear it again). Less than £100 would be great.

Please oh wise ones, dress me stylishly for an evening with people I've never met.

PussyPatches Wed 16-Nov-16 11:26:29

Would you feel happier in a dress or separates?

Could you wear trousers and a silky top?
Something just a bit smarter than you'd normally wear?

PussyPatches Wed 16-Nov-16 11:29:51

I can't remember what summer colours are specifically but how about something like this?

poppym12 Wed 16-Nov-16 14:06:49

Trousers and top would be OK pussy as long as the trousers fit me well and magically slim down my horrible legs. I hadn't thought of Wallis so I'll check their website too, thank you.

PussyPatches Wed 16-Nov-16 14:28:57

I find Wallis can be quite good for long tops.
What style of trousers do you like?
Someone posted a pair of velvet skinny jeans on another thread that would look great with a long, grey asymmetric top I saw on Wallis.
A bit of silver jewellery and you'd be all set.

poppym12 Wed 16-Nov-16 15:46:04

If I wear skinnies I look like a giant parsnip. My thighs really are a lot bigger than the rest of me.

PussyPatches Wed 16-Nov-16 16:47:45

Do you have any trousers already that you could wear that you're happy in?

You could wear a fine knit jumper and dress it up a bit with jewellery

Or how about something like this dress ?

poppym12 Wed 16-Nov-16 18:03:11

No, I only have various jeans in grey, blue and black. I'm afraid your links didn't work.

PussyPatches Wed 16-Nov-16 18:57:03

Sorry. I'm on phone.

Try these
Jumper
http://m2.hm.com/m/engb/productpage.0390125009.htmll_

Dress
http://m.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prodd_10701100011_60514+FFN0042525_-1

notagiraffe Wed 16-Nov-16 19:08:16

Believe it or not, M&S have a really good range of smart black trousers at the moment - with some lycra in the fit, which slims but also makes them really comfortable to wear. You could add spike- heeled ankle boots and a long, loose silky shirt. What age/shape/colouring are you?

I love these and these both of which hang really nicely and are very flattering.

Bluntness100 Wed 16-Nov-16 19:15:26

Asos for trousers, do long with heels and the trousers coming over the heel to the ground, really lengthens uour legs and makes them look slimmer.

poppym12 Wed 16-Nov-16 19:44:45

I'm mid 40s, pear shaped, gold/brown hair and grey green eyes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now