Where to shop for a classic christmas party dress that I can hope to wear more than once!

(25 Posts)
Trickymoments Tue 15-Nov-16 19:25:24

As the Christmas party looms again I am having my usual dilemma of what the hell to wear.
I don't often go anywhere smart, I have about 5 dresses in my wardrobe that I have bought for christmas parties. They are from Next, Warehouse, Mango & Monsoon. Since having children they are all a little too tight! I also feel that they date quickly as they are always fashion of the moment and so I never feel like I want to wear them again.

I'd like to buy a simple, more classic dress, without being frumpy that fits me nicely and that I can wear on more than one occasion without it being too memorable and that won't feel dates in 12 months time.

Could anyone suggest the sort of shops I could try to find something like this? I am 5'3", size 12 with a mumtum, pear shaped. As I am quite short alot of dresses are too long for me.

Also what would you do with the 5 that aren't quite right in the wardrobe? Keep in the hope of them fitting again one day or ebay them all and use the money to buy one nice dress?

Thanks for any suggestions

Tenpastlate Tue 15-Nov-16 19:38:55

No help but watching with interest.
I am looking for a classic with a bit of sleeve, boat or v neck and a flattering shape.
Definitely ebay the old dresses and buy new. They will look dated if you ever wear them again.

Trickymoments Tue 15-Nov-16 19:48:45

Thanks tenpastlate. I meant to say I'm 41 and feel like I don't know what to wear anymore for these smart occasions, or rather where to buy from. I don't want to be really trendy but not ready for frumpy either.

TheFallenMadonna Tue 15-Nov-16 19:52:45

I have two dresses from Jaeger Outlet. One lace, once plain black. Both have sleeves (hurrah!)

JontyDoggle37 Tue 15-Nov-16 20:00:26

Coast. Every time. Not cheap but excellent quality, classic styles and cut to flatter.

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Tue 15-Nov-16 20:01:29

Coast from me too. I've a few that haven't dated that I've had for a couple of years.

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Tue 15-Nov-16 20:03:04

Oh, and eBay the old dresses. I kept a lovely one until I could fit in it again, I now can (hurrah), but i just don't like it on anymore!

knowler Tue 15-Nov-16 20:03:16

Jaeger outlet is amazing!! However, at the other end of the scale, I've found f&f at tesco has some great stuff. Last year I got a brilliant black dress, lace overlay, for £30. I've worn it to xmas parties and even a dressier event and got lots of compliments. Might be worth having a look online.

Revealall Tue 15-Nov-16 20:11:13

I have the same as you - about 5 but I wear them most years. I have two red dresses , a silk strapless tight one and a long sleeved velvet number both £10 in the Monsoon sale. A French Connection bright flowery sequin cocktail from an outlet shop and a Karen Millen tulle / satin job that both do for parties all year round. I also have a black crepe dress from Next that has high halter neck with silver beading. It's over 15 years old and comes out for everything - bargin at a fiver in their sale.
I think you should just buy whatever looks good cheap in the sales and wear it. Party dresses that aren't "in" style ,never go out of style.

Tenpastlate Tue 15-Nov-16 22:15:59

I'm the same age Tricky, and after children I no longer have the toned tummy/killer cleavage combination I used to rely on!
Wondering if plain dress and edgy shoes is the way to go?

Trickymoments Thu 17-Nov-16 15:56:02

I'm planning a shopping trip at the weekend to try & get a dress. Which
other shops should I try for a timeless party dress? I did try Coast recently but I was in between sizes.

HalleLouja Thu 17-Nov-16 15:57:11

I got a lovely dress from Boden recently. You do have to go through the chintz to find the nicer ones.

notagiraffe Thu 17-Nov-16 16:02:20

How about this one from Coast? It's pretty classic, can be worn at other times of year, is forgiving around the mum-tum area as it's draped, has sleeves but is still sexy and you could dress it up differently each time you wore it.

mouldycheesefan Thu 17-Nov-16 16:05:53

John Lewis has lots of brands that would suit, you could make an appointment with a personal shopper the appointments are fee, you get a massive changing room by yourself and someone to run around and get things for you.
Phase eight
Coast
Ted baker

HalleLouja Thu 17-Nov-16 16:14:36

This is the Boden dress I bought. But they have others.

Trickymoments Thu 17-Nov-16 17:44:56

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the Coast one but am worried my bum would look huge in it!
I've never looked at Boden but they have some nice dresses. They're all
pretty pricey though for what they are it seems. I'm guessing they
must be very good quality?
I've never spent £100 on a dress but I'm starting to think it would be better to do that and have one perfect dress rather than several cheap but not so nice ones.

mamado Thu 17-Nov-16 17:56:53

Im considering this dress for exactly the same purpose! I'm wondering if it's too plain?
www.hallhuber.com/uk/collection/apparel/dresses/velvet-dress-with-flared-cut-black.html

Trickymoments Thu 17-Nov-16 20:00:29

That's really lovely mamado

HalleLouja Thu 17-Nov-16 20:04:17

Tricky there is always a voucher for Boden if you want to buy anything. As I said there is a lot of not so lovely dresses on there but the odd gem. I bought a lovely 60s style dress for work which is actually quite stylish.

HTKB Thu 17-Nov-16 20:07:44

I'm fat but with a waist and this looks lovely on www.mintvelvet.co.uk/black-chiffon-bandage-dress/dresses/mint-v/fcp-product/7593

MakeTeaNotWar Thu 17-Nov-16 20:31:04

That's lovely HKTB - how is the length on you? I'm 5'4" and the model is 5'10"

Trickymoments Thu 17-Nov-16 20:56:42

Love that mint velvet one but think it would be too long on me at 5'3".

HTKB Thu 17-Nov-16 21:42:53

It's knee length, I'm 5 7.

MrsGannicus Thu 17-Nov-16 21:52:27

I got this last year and I love it
prettykittyfashion.co.uk/products/black-sequin-wiggle-dress

Trickymoments Fri 18-Nov-16 20:47:09

Any more suggestions for shops please before my shopping trip?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now