Dying roots - advice

(11 Posts)
Arkengarthdale Fri 11-Nov-16 21:19:48

I have an appointment next Friday to have my hair cut and coloured and it is certainly overdue, I have an inch of drab root showing in my otherwise ok hair.

But I have an important job interview on Monday and these nasty roots. I can't bring the hair appointment forward. Should I use a home root colouring pack now and then get the hairdresser to sort it out or should I just go to the interview with hideous roots? My hair is quite long so I wear it up for work

Jmangel Fri 11-Nov-16 21:28:19

Why don't you try a temporary crayon or powder to tide you over?

blowmybarnacles Fri 11-Nov-16 21:31:18

I would dye them - what is your normal colour/ dyed colour?
Have you ever done your own roots?

Arkengarthdale Fri 11-Nov-16 21:43:05

Ooo I don't know about crayon or powder!

My natural colour is faded mouse, and I have it coloured more blonde. The last time I had it coloured I think it was too yellow so the roots seem to show quite quickly. I normally have foil highlights so the regrowth is much less obvious, but last time I had colour on my scalp and bayalage (?) on the lengths. There is a very definite line where it has grown out.

Thanks for responses!

Arkengarthdale Fri 11-Nov-16 21:45:40

And yes I used to colour my hair at home every time until I was able to afford a hairdresser smile I have a root touch up which I think I will use and just cope with the hairdresser's wrath

TresDesolee Fri 11-Nov-16 21:49:00

You can get spray-in, wash-out root touch-up stuff in boots or superdrug - green aerosols, small cans. About five different shades including blonde although don't know how they work if you're lightening up rather than darkening down. Might be John Frieda? They make your hair feel awful but they work in a pinch and won't get in your hairdresser's way come the appointment. Good luck with the interview!

Arkengarthdale Fri 11-Nov-16 22:27:18

Thank you so much! Superdrug here I come

Theonlyoneiknow Fri 11-Nov-16 22:32:41

I bought some aerosol spray cover up today and seems to work well!

SnowBallsAreHere Fri 11-Nov-16 22:34:14

Get something like this.
Spray this & brush your hair BEFORE you get dressed & apply make up, as it can spray wide/dribble:brush out onto your shoulders a bit. I always add a bit of hairspray after too.

It's not perfect but roots look better even if your hair does feel like you've overdone the dry shampoo

TresDesolee Fri 11-Nov-16 22:36:09

That's the one!

Makes my hair feel like candy floss, it's awful. But has saved my bacon on a few occasions

Arkengarthdale Sat 12-Nov-16 11:32:29

Excellent! Thanks all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now