Lipsticks

(18 Posts)
PilkoPumpPants Tue 08-Nov-16 19:25:02

I never usually bother with lipsticks but I'm trying jazz myself up a bit for Christmas.

What brand does everyone use? Can anyone recommend a good colour for me to use? I'm really pale so nothing bright just something casual.

grin

sammy891 Tue 08-Nov-16 19:47:28

What kind of finish do you like, glossy or matte? Bobbi Brown has lovely natueal shades and Mac is also great. I like the Charlotte Tilbury Matte range as well.

Blue2014 Tue 08-Nov-16 19:49:30

Primark - who would have believed it. It's the longest lasting lipstick I've found!

Samatamfabahaba Tue 08-Nov-16 19:54:11

Charlotte Tilbury is my favourite. It doesn't even feel like you've got it on, and it lasts all day. It's absolutely fab and the shades are brilliant. The concession in Fenwicks in Newcastle the girls are amazing and SO helpful. MAC is my next fave.

PookieSnackenberger Tue 08-Nov-16 19:54:55

I love Mac and Charlotte Tilbury. Mac will allow you to test them on your lips. The store at St Pancras Station is great if you're in London.

Mac do a huge range of natural shades for all colouring.

If you're trying out colours you could go the really inexpensive route and try a few cheap ones out from Superdrug.

They do a range where the lipsticks and lip glosses are £1-£2 (MUA?) and I've had some great natural colours that are just as good as more expensive brands.

Just checked and you can order MUA online.

Crocky Tue 08-Nov-16 19:55:30

I've heard really good things about the primark lipsticks. Am planning on getting some this weekend. The bonus is that because they are so cheap you can try out a few different colours.

FrustratedFrugal Tue 08-Nov-16 20:10:19

I really like Kiko.

I'm pale, blonde and cool toned and my most worn shades are mauves (Kiko 315) and brownish pinks (Chanel Coco Rouge in shade Mademoiselle) and cool berry pinks. A vibrant pink also looks good on me - I wear Chanel Rouge Allure Velvet in shade #37 l'Exuberante a lot.

If you are still new to lipstick, a tinted creamy balm is a great choice. I've worn the Kiko Kiss Balm in 05 Raspberry a lot and always have it in my purse. It feels great on dry lips and has good color payoff but I can put it on without having to check the mirror.

FrustratedFrugal Tue 08-Nov-16 20:15:25

Sorry, link fail - Kiss Balm and Chanel l'Exuberante.

AmberNectarine Tue 08-Nov-16 20:18:01

Agree KIKO lipstick is great and SO cheap.

I also like Bobbi brown art sticks.

Sparkletastic Tue 08-Nov-16 20:23:00

Mac in Kinda Sexy - ideal long-lasting lipstick for beginners

SuperFlyHigh Tue 08-Nov-16 20:31:33

My faves are Mac closely followed by bobbi brown

PilkoPumpPants Tue 08-Nov-16 20:32:32

Thanks everyonegrin.

What's everyone's favourite shade?

SuperFlyHigh Tue 08-Nov-16 20:40:37

What hair colour and eye colour are you? Hard to pick eg natural shade without seeing you. I'd go into Mac and ask eg for a natural shade and a brighter shade.

SuperFlyHigh Tue 08-Nov-16 20:41:10

I like eg Cosmo which is an easy to wear Mac natural (on me) shade.

Softkitty2 Tue 08-Nov-16 20:42:40

Mac in mehr (beautiful warm pink)
Charlotte tilbury in bond girl or very victoria
Urban decay in back talk

These are all sort of nudes/warm pinks

If you go for a matte lipstick I would suggest pairing with a suitable lip liner.

Mac lipliners in whirl and soar goes with most of the shades mentioned above.

I love love love lipsticks.

OhHaaaaay Tue 08-Nov-16 20:47:13

I've recently discovered Mac 'Hue'

It's the BEST shade. A lovely pinky nude. So easy to wear (I can apply without a mirror) but looks like you're wearing lipstick.

Also, it's what they call a glaze so it's moisturising rather than drying like some of their matte shades.

Pic attached (obviously not mine - I googled it).

FrustratedFrugal Tue 08-Nov-16 20:59:26

I'm also wondering whether Charlotte Tilbury and Kiko use the same factory / subcontractor for some of their lipsticks - they look quite similar. See this story.

A lot of high end make-up is made in Italy, Kiko is a Northern Italy (Bergamo) based brand, and Kiko lipsticks feel really high end.

AmberNectarine Tue 08-Nov-16 22:41:27

I like the pigmentation of Mac but I do find them drying.

You may be right Frugal, they're similarly creamy. I rate a lot of Kiko products actually, their liquid liners are easily as good as higher end.

Shades I like (if you're after a nude):

BB art stick in Rose Brown or Rich Nude
CT in Super Cindy or Very Victoria
Mac Soar liner
Kiko I have a few but no idea re shades
Also think the Kate Moss Rimmel ones aren't bad though can be drying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now