Mixing different coloured metals in jewellery - ok or not?

(12 Posts)
ilovecherries Mon 07-Nov-16 19:09:34

I've always preferred white metal jewellery, and everything I own is platinum or silver. However I've inherited a rather lovely rose gold pendant, which I'd like to wear sometimes. But my watch has a platinum band and all my earrings are set in white metal, as are my wedding/engagement/eternity rings. Is this pendant going to look silly amongs all this white metal? It's a fairly chunky, distinctive piece.

bojorojo Mon 07-Nov-16 20:48:33

Absolutely wear it. It is presumably a different era and was designed in rose gold as it suited the piece. I wouldn't give it a second thought if you like it.

Ladyformation Mon 07-Nov-16 21:31:16

I think metals look best with similar toned metals and wouldn't mix, with the exclusion of your wedding (etc!) rings. But then I match jewellery specifically to each outfit and don't wear any single piece all the time. Perhaps take the rest off and let the necklace shine sometimes?

MrsT2007 Mon 07-Nov-16 21:36:31

It's bang on trend. Donit!

MakingMyWayThroughTown Mon 07-Nov-16 21:38:29

I wear rose gold with white gold so I say go for it! I have a tri-gold diamond triple band which I adore! Maybe get a piece which is both rose gold & white gold to tie them together (any excuse for a bit of new jewellery wink)

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Mon 07-Nov-16 21:40:55

i have always mixed and matched...rings, bracelets, earrings

I do not wear a necklace often though, and I wouldn't wear a gold necklace with silver earrings....I don't know why

Jackie0 Mon 07-Nov-16 21:46:56

Is it Keira Knightley that has a different colour wedding band and engagement ring?
I really want to like it but if KK can't make it cool no one can.
I have actually seen an engagement ring with an ombre effect, apparently the fiancée was to decide which she preferred hmm it was just odd looking.
Getting off the point , sorry.
I prefer yellow and rose gold but when I wear silver I coordinate everything except my wedding rings .

WhooooAmI24601 Mon 07-Nov-16 21:57:05

This is how insane I am (and why DH says I'm a lunatic); if I'm wearing shoes or boots or handbags with a specific coloured metal hardware on, I match my jewellery to that colour. Today I wore ankle boots with gold zippers so wore an animal-print belt with gold buckle, gold Orla Kiely watch, a large gold poppy brooch and gold ring. If it's silver I wear my silver poppy, silver watch and silver accessories. He maintains that I'm tapped but I can't do it; it's like mixing underwear colours and even the thought of it gives me the jeebies. Even to the point of belts; I have different coloured belts with different colours of metal to suit different days.

I've never admitted that to anyone in real life. Typing it makes me see that it's totally batshit.

bunnybleu Mon 07-Nov-16 22:36:39

whoooo batshit it may be but it makes perfect sense to me! Like I can only have the tv volume on certain numbers......and put certain amounts of diesel in the car! We all have our foibles!

I think the 'rules' for jewellery are much more relaxed now, people mix metals all the time so OP if you like the combo then wear it. One of the reasons I have a silver and gold watch is because my original rings were gold but I tend to wear more silver jewellery than gold so it all ties in still. If you like it, that's all that matters really.

ChickenVindaloo Mon 07-Nov-16 22:46:02

Kate middleton's wedding ring is yellow gold whereas the engagement and eternity rings are white gold or platinum.

ilovecherries Mon 07-Nov-16 23:20:51

Maybe what I need is more jewellery...! I can't not wear earrings or a watch, I feel completely unfinished if I do that. But maybe a cheaper more neutral watch would give me more flexibility some days, and pair of rose and white gold earrings would help pull it all together a bit.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 07-Nov-16 23:30:26

Yes,it's fine. Bit like navy and black used to be a no no but fine now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now