Confidence crisis - never feel good on nights out

(9 Posts)
secondhoneymoon Sat 05-Nov-16 18:33:01

Got a few parties to go to before we even get to Christmas. I can 'do' casual and black tie - but can never find anything to wear to inbetween nights, e.g. Birthday and Christmas parties/meals out. I am 5'3", late 40s, size 14-16 and not slim. Prefer autumnal colours Happy with tops & trousers or dresses. Any help appreciated - links to specific items would be particularly welcome as even when I have an idea what I might like i can't find anything I like in the shops!

Revealall Sat 05-Nov-16 20:43:54

No help here but I feel exactly the same. Jeans and nice top look too casual now we are older or I end up mumsy.
My friend who is way larger than both us us looks amazing most days ( and nights). She seems to wear simple but dressy dresses. Karen Millen and the like. Good strong colours.
I can't bring myself to buy one yet but I know it's possibly time to lose the crazy clothes and look a bit classy.

Revealall Sat 05-Nov-16 20:55:32

Actually do have one suggestion. How about a black jumpsuit. There's a nice one on SilkFred. They look elegant but not too try hard. You can add drama with jewellery or nice jacket or not.
Will see if I can link.

Revealall Sat 05-Nov-16 21:00:13

www.silkfred.com/boutiques/john-zack/clothing/sleeveless-black-cowl-neck-tie-jumpsuit

secondhoneymoon Sat 05-Nov-16 21:13:37

Ooh I like that, thanks revealall. I might look a bit squat and dumpy in a jumpsuit but maybe worth a try

BusterGonad Sun 06-Nov-16 05:53:43

What about the Oasis Shimmer Popcorn Shift dress? I've not tried it on but you could team it with thick black tights, a glitzy handbag and black shoes or ankle boots. If you look on the close up pictures it's really pretty. A size M is a 12 but if it's stretchy I'd say a big 12 small 14 and a L is a 14 to 16.

secondhoneymoon Sun 06-Nov-16 08:18:40

Thanks Buster, I like it and will try it on. Neckline is probably a bit high for me (not that I like showing a lot of cleavage) but always worth trying it on

BusterGonad Sun 06-Nov-16 08:54:19

It always is, I'm a 14 but my boobs are huge so if there's no stretch I struggle. In Oasis I can be a M or a L depending on stretchiness! I'm really keen on the popcorn dress, also when looking at clothes on line I'm obsessed with people's reviews! The popcorn dress is so nice as it can really be dressed up or not and I've got the feeling it will be a 'feel good' dress which looks good on fab days as well as drab days! grin

BusterGonad Sun 06-Nov-16 08:56:03

Also OP a bright lip always makes me feel great!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now