come and snigger with me at what Eve magazine thinks new mums should wear

(108 Posts)
anniemac Tue 13-Feb-07 12:10:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pannacotta Tue 13-Feb-07 11:59:51

Will check all these out, hadnt thought of White Co for clothes, and Primark too! Anniemac why no tracksuits? I have a plum one from H&M with loose fitting bottom with low waist plus hooded top which I think looks quite nice! Pjs poss bit too much like nightwear, is nice to feel like you're not wearing the same stuff 24 hours in a row - or maybe I won't care when it comes to it, am sure I will be less fussy this time round due to lack of time/energy....

anniemac Tue 13-Feb-07 11:36:45

JackieNo Tue 13-Feb-07 11:35:47

The White Company do nice stuff, though their sale ends tomorrow, I think - might want to check out what's in the sale, then go back and see what the new Spring range is like once it's launched. Also, Lands End have some OK-looking stuff, if you pick and choose a bit (a lot of it can be a bit mumsy).

Pannacotta Tue 13-Feb-07 11:26:34

Good ideas re the b-feeding tops thanks, will check out H&M and also look for some stretchy camis. Anyone got any suggestions for where to buy decent "lounge about the house" type clothes (NOT Boden though!)? My plan this time round is to avoid getting properly dressed for a couple of weeks in the hope I may get more help this way, but I dont want to look too grungy!

anniemac Tue 13-Feb-07 10:57:19

JackieNo Tue 13-Feb-07 10:49:34

YOu could have something like this - I think something similar was recommended on here by someone a while ago - kind of like a boob tube that goves over your stomach rather than over your boobs, iyswim, so no exposed tummy when bf.

DebitheScot Tue 13-Feb-07 10:38:06

I had a good top from H&M that had an overlapping bit over the boobs so you could pull it down rather than up.

kittylette Tue 13-Feb-07 09:55:06

100th post woooooooooo

lol

anniemac Tue 13-Feb-07 09:54:14

Pann Tue 13-Feb-07 01:35:19

Good Housekeeping......yay. Worthy but dull, yes.

ghosty Tue 13-Feb-07 01:28:50

That kind of article would make me want to tear the whole magazine into small pieces then burn them.

Stiller Tue 13-Feb-07 01:17:08

lou33

lou33 Tue 13-Feb-07 00:28:24

but only in the mornings....

lou33 Tue 13-Feb-07 00:27:43

my kids are all school age now and i still do the school run in my pyjamas sometimes

Stiller Tue 13-Feb-07 00:27:19

PMSL at cashmere trackies - who the hell would think that might be a good idea?

How refreshing it would be to find an honest article that doesn't make new mums feel inferior. My DS's 5 and I STILL don't give a shit about my appearance. wonder if that's why I'm single...

welliemum Tue 13-Feb-07 00:21:33

Pannacotta (yummy name)

I find for breastfeeding, layering is good. So, a t-shirt with a cardigan/fleece/cotton shirt over - anything which opens in front.

Then you can unbutton the top layer a bit, pull up the T-shirt and feed comfortably without displaying acres of postnatal tummy!

I like cotton pyjamas to slob in.

Pannacotta Mon 12-Feb-07 23:54:05

I agree there were lots of very impractical clothes in this article, but I really liked the idea of an article focusing on pregnancy & post baby style. Does anyone have any suggestions of USEFUL post baby outfits? I am 27 weeks pregnant with second baby and can't remember what I found useful last time, was also different time of year, but do remember finding it hard to find things I could breastfeed in without exposing my tummy (not a good feeling). Any ideas? Think it is best to do some shopping before the baby arrives... Also would like to get some decent slobbing out clothes (but maybe not a cashmere tracksuit!!!), any thoughts?

Queenmummy Mon 12-Feb-07 19:05:13

twinsetandpearls - LOL at your white slip nightie and matching dressing gown

JoshandJamie - agree with your stance on glossy mags (though doesn't stop me buying masses of the stupid things). Whenever I look at the fashion pages I wonder who the hell (a) really goes out looking like that and (b) can really afford things like that. Quite often one of their outfits can cost about £1000 when all added up!

As for cashmere tracksuits as a post-partum outfit someone is having a laugh...

JoshandJamie Mon 12-Feb-07 16:39:38

Whenever I read one of these magazines I feel utterly deflated afterwards. I'm sure they're supposed to inspire and motivate but they just make me feel exhausted.

I always come away thinking:
- I need to diet
- I need more exercise
- I need to be more fashionable
- I need to achieve more
- I need to care more for the evironment
- I need to be a better parent
- I need to have more sex
- Need to be a better friend/daughter/sister

And I get semi motivated - sort of in a new year resolution type way - to do all of the above, and then life starts up and I return to my normal average achievement self (who incidentally I'm not unhappy with until I read who i should be) and I vow not to buy another one.

Aloha Mon 12-Feb-07 16:23:13

Yes, you could wash at 60degrees....and then it would make a perfect babygro

TinyGang Mon 12-Feb-07 16:21:59

Don't panic - I've found one and it's reduced too!

To £245..........

so that's all right then.

Wonder if you can wash it at 60 degrees

twinsetandpearls Mon 12-Feb-07 14:39:37

THis reminds me of my case that I packed for the hospital. After I had dd and had been cleaned up the midwife asked if I had a nightie " I had packed a Janet Reger white silk slip with matching gown- she looked at me and said this is your first isn;t it. my other option was a white cotton embroidered mother earth type gown with matching robe!

beansprout Mon 12-Feb-07 14:34:51

I hate this crap. We are women so we can give birth and look after our young, not so we can be easy on the eye for all the men out there. We look like we are supposed to when we have given birth. If any mummy was seriously reading this book instead of getting to know her newborn, I would be concerned.

Enid Mon 12-Feb-07 14:34:37

nott he eve posh fashion the easy living stuff

I do not posses a tracksuit cashmere or otherwise

Cappuccino Mon 12-Feb-07 14:32:10

do you have a cashmere tracksuit Enid?

do you find it just the thing to wear when carrying your laundry around the house?

<snort>

Enid Mon 12-Feb-07 14:29:45

ooh I like the posh fashion

MrsBadger Mon 12-Feb-07 13:59:36

glad to hear it Capp!

GrumpyOldHorsewoman Mon 12-Feb-07 12:59:32

I cried when, several weeks after the birth of DD2, I still had to wear either maternity trousers and a baggy jumper or DH's jeans (he asked me to never wear them again as I looked so hideous). I love these cloud-cuckoo land articles. How deep are our pockets supposed to be? And how interested are you in your appearance when you feel like shit and sleep-deprived. I was just depressed that nothing fit me, and I always looked horrible anyway, so what was the point. Add to that stitches, a post-baby menstruation that passes 10 gallons of blood a day for about a month and leaking boobs and I would think that washability/disposability were the highest pre-requisites of any clothing purchase. And, like was said before, you are invisible behind a puschair, anyway.

Cappuccino Mon 12-Feb-07 12:25:39

Mrs Badger! Was just about to send you an email!

how happy my dd is with her stable!! You have never seen a child more pleased!!

MrsBadger Mon 12-Feb-07 11:46:20

must say that is the one thing that annoys me about Easy Living - their fashion things are just too expensive.
Glamour may be ghastly in all sorts of other directions but at least half their fashion stuff is high st and reasonably affordable.

SilentTerror Mon 12-Feb-07 11:36:33

Agree about Woman and Home magazine.The fashion and in particular is great,shows there is life after forty!Was forty last week and have decided I quite like looking at glamorous 'older' women, not skinny teenage waifs.Think the fashion in Eve,Easy Living etc can be quite OTT,especially price wise.Still buy the mags though...

one of the top tips i ever recieved about having a new mum was to but some nice pj's and wear them for at least two weeks. as soon as you get dressed properly, people will think you are'back to normal' and expect way too much from you!

TinyGang Mon 12-Feb-07 11:27:19

Rofl!

Cappuccino Mon 12-Feb-07 11:25:19

ha ha yes deb the 'trophy wives'

DebitheScot Mon 12-Feb-07 11:21:11

Tinygang- I remember looking at the mams&papas catalogue before ds was born and laughing at how I was never going to look like the "parents" in it. The car seats in the front seat of the open top sports car driven by the rather sexy man were the best.

DebitheScot Mon 12-Feb-07 11:17:52

I have a subscription to eve but am still not quite finished January's one. Just went and dug out March's so I could look at that article. I think to be able to (and want to) buy all those clothes you need to be one of the women in the article that is next in the mag. And who the hell has a "nappy bag beauty kit"??

I also spent the first couple of weeks in maternity clothes (which were not gorgeous, glamorous, sophisticated....) or dhs t-shirts. That's if I even got dressed at all. DS is 9 months old and I still answered the door to the postman in my pjs this morning at about 9.30.

ssd Mon 12-Feb-07 11:15:13

www I'm impressed you could actually qualify for those jobs in the Sunday Times!

I read that paper every week and don't even know what most of the jobs in the job section are about!!

Anchovy Mon 12-Feb-07 11:12:33

Pink Tulips - with each child I think there was a 4 month period when my day wear and night wear were indistinguishable.

The key is getting the right type of pull on trousers: stripy cotton pjs = slattern still in bed in the afternoon; plain black or grey cotton pull on ones = anytime wear. Think I had 2 pairs from Knickerbox and 2 pairs from Primark.

Can I put this advice in a book and charge £12.95?

WideWebWitch Mon 12-Feb-07 11:10:17

And The Observer every Sunday and The Sunday Times only if I'm job hunting
And read the ft.com jobs online

FioFio Mon 12-Feb-07 11:09:59

Message deleted

Cappuccino Mon 12-Feb-07 11:09:09

good god www! that's quite a list

I get this sent through the post by my dad

TinyGang Mon 12-Feb-07 11:08:49

Haha! What's the point of writing books for new mums? It was two years before I read a proper book again iirc.

Cashemere track suits indeed!

When our first was due I remember looking through the Mamas and Papas book for a pram. Not in all the years that followed did dh or myself ever resemble the parents in that book.

ssd Mon 12-Feb-07 11:08:42

whats easy living like then?

I've never seen it

taylormama Mon 12-Feb-07 11:08:26

i have PG tips full strenth and white bread with lard ...

ssd Mon 12-Feb-07 11:08:00

yes it used to be good

load of sh*te these days

what planet are these people on?

Cappuccino Mon 12-Feb-07 11:07:55

Haymarket Magazines it says

WideWebWitch Mon 12-Feb-07 11:07:42

I buy
Eve
Easy Living
Red
Hello sometimes
OK sometimes
Heat sometimes
The Economist sometimes
The Eclologise sometimes
NW sometimes
GOOD HOUSEKEEPING
WOMAN & HOME
Both of which are surprisingly good, I really like them but wish they'd both change their names, I feel frumpy the minute I put them in my trolley

fairyfly Mon 12-Feb-07 11:07:03

Does it really say Red Flares for the extra bloody days?

WideWebWitch Mon 12-Feb-07 11:05:29

It was better before, is it not owned by the BBC anymore? Who then, Emap?

ssd Mon 12-Feb-07 11:05:05

like this thread!

read this in the magazine a while ago and thought what a load of crap!!

and of course the "model" was 6 feet tall and stick thin!

don't any of these writers actually have kids?

or do they dump them on the nanny ASAP and go back to their exciting jobs and never deal with the nitty gritty of babies?

cupcakes Mon 12-Feb-07 11:04:59

I only bought Eve once - it had a free umbrella - and that was it.

EL is the best glossy.

maisym Mon 12-Feb-07 11:04:43

lol www & capuccino - saddly yes & it annoys me (why I read it I don't know). I get Easy Living & Eve mixed up - the most annoying feature is fashion maths - wear the item a million times to justify cost - investment buy - what rubbish!!

WideWebWitch Mon 12-Feb-07 11:04:38

I like Eve usually but I'm a bit fed up with all the women bloody doing it for themselves who have amazing lifestyle and hardly seem to work at all a la the french boutique example already given.

Cappuccino Mon 12-Feb-07 11:04:29

I do think that it used to better in the old days when it was owned by the BBC

PinkTulips Mon 12-Feb-07 11:04:21

pmsl anchovy..... to do that you must have had clean clothes that actually fit which was so far beyond my powers to accomplish it's frightening

Cappuccino Mon 12-Feb-07 11:03:50

enid what irritated you?

am very much up for being irritated this morning

cupcakes Mon 12-Feb-07 11:03:40

I read the Liz Fraser one when pg recently and actually enjoyed it..

Enid Mon 12-Feb-07 11:03:17

ooh good can we bitch about Eve

I used to like it but I read one particular issue before christmas and it made me so cross I have never bought it since

Easy Living all the way

Anchovy Mon 12-Feb-07 11:02:46

Oh you lot, living in your pyjamas, what are you like?

(I took a lateral approach and just slept in my clothes!)

Cappuccino Mon 12-Feb-07 11:02:02

maisym I take it you're a regular reader

I got it bought for a subscription and it never fails to irritate me

WideWebWitch Mon 12-Feb-07 11:00:53

lol at maisym and at the other books Amazon customers bought, they're in for a big shock then all the new mums reading this crap.

maisym Mon 12-Feb-07 10:57:53

the pushchair with the bunch of flowers in the basket of course!

JackieNo Mon 12-Feb-07 10:57:11

Ah yes, the old pushchair 'cloak of invisibility' - but actually when you're feeling like sh*t it can be quite welcome (or is that just me?)

maisym Mon 12-Feb-07 10:56:23

wot - no article about living in France selling french linens to boutiques in small uk towns, wondering around markets for veg & bread and living in a huge country house? All with small kids of course...

Cappuccino Mon 12-Feb-07 10:55:20

however damn stylish you are no-one gives you a second look behind a pushchair

which is probably why there is no buggy in sight throughout the article

Bugsy2 Mon 12-Feb-07 10:53:22

The tradgedy is though, that before I had my first baby, I would have completely bought into all that crap. I really did think that you could be a super stylish new mum.
There was no Mumsnet in those days. Sniff!
I remember choosing my "coming home" outfit with such care before I went into labour.
Not realising that I wouldn't give a Castemaine thingy what not what the hell I was wearing because I'd be too busy trying to perch on one buttock in the back of the car so as not to wrench my too tight stitches, while wondering why DS was screaming his head off.

ScottishMummy Mon 12-Feb-07 10:50:25

AWWWWW

i remember opening the front door to the postie - he took one look at manky me, my deranged youjustfeckinwokethebaby puffy face and spluttered a gasped ooo sorry AND THE POOR MAN PRACTICALLY RAN - even now he still looks tiimidly at me

and the LEAKY**BOOBS in t shirt look

MrsJohnCusack Mon 12-Feb-07 10:49:41

oh really PinkTulips?
doesn't suprise me

MrsJohnCusack Mon 12-Feb-07 10:48:29

am also sniggering at the 'other customers who bought this bought these' list on Amazon (and also the fact that Jools Oliver is quoted on the cover of the book).
Baby-proofing Your Marriage: How to Laugh More, Argue Less and Communicate Better as Your Family Grows by Stacie Cockrell
Trinny & Susannah: The Survival Guide - A Woman's Secret Weapon for Getting Through the Year by Trinny Woodall
The Secret Life of a Slummy Mummy by Fiona Neill
Shopaholic and Baby by Sophie Kinsella
Yummy Mummy's Ultimate Family Survival Guide by Liz Fraser
Time Management for Manic Mums by Allison Mitchell

here's a hint - read Mumsnet for FREE rather than reading this shite and contributing to some other mother's coffers. oooooh it does make me cross (although I do love Trinny &Suze)

£300, what an utter bargain.

cupcakes Mon 12-Feb-07 10:47:39

she is in a diet special with a picture of her looking tres boho feeding croissants and strawberries to Isabella Rose, 5, and Gabriel, 3.

I noticed it because in the background they have the same B&Q playhouse as us.

She has organic green tea with aloe vera first thing every morning.

taylormama Mon 12-Feb-07 10:45:48

i thought that breastpads and a dressing gown was what all the stylish mums were wearing this season ... how wrong was i ...

PinkTulips Mon 12-Feb-07 10:45:04

ack... that other book amazon recommend you buy 'how to baby proof your marriage', the writer was on the radio with gerry ryan the other day and had me in a spitting rage.

she spent an hour going on about how the poor husband gets neglegted in favour of the baby and it's so unfair, blah-di-blah. basically on about how mothers are neurotic possesive freaks who need to show their husbands more love than the baby

and her top tip was for mom to head off for a weekend and leave baby with dad as soon as possible so they could bond and dad could prove he could cope......... not paticularly helpful if you're breastfeeding

taylormama Mon 12-Feb-07 10:44:53

this woman can't have children???????!!!!!!!!

filthymindedvixen Mon 12-Feb-07 10:42:27

ah well, see, this all makes perfect sense to me. The baby's got colic and has cried solidly for a fortnight so the neighbours have reported you to SS , the house is a shithole, you can't even remember what your make-up bag looks like, let along whether you've got any waterprof mascara; your dh is sitting in a corner in a bouncy chair with his thumb in his mouth in SHOCK; your fango feels like Dr Frankenstein's been experimenting again, but all of this will magically be cured because you have a book which tells you how to buy a cashmere dummy cover. FFS.

Bugsy2 Mon 12-Feb-07 10:41:06

LOL, a super sylish maternity leave! I never thought it was possible to combine all those words in the same sentence!
As far as I remember there was nothing remotely stylish about sweating like a pig, bleeding like the mortally wounded, having ouzing breasts, falling out hair & the biggest darkest bags under my eyes.

Cappuccino Mon 12-Feb-07 10:40:25

the one she is wearing costs £300 altogether MrsCusack

surely John could spring for one of those?

cupcakes Mon 12-Feb-07 10:37:37

her book

I saw her in easy Living the other month giving other helpful advice on childrearing. Will look for it.

MrsJohnCusack Mon 12-Feb-07 10:37:35

well if she does post on here then I want her to know she deserves a smacked bottom quite frankly

cashmere tracksuit my arse

JackieNo Mon 12-Feb-07 10:37:06

Shall I buy it for you when the baby's born, MrsJC.

MrsJohnCusack Mon 12-Feb-07 10:36:14

a book

FFS

JackieNo Mon 12-Feb-07 10:35:20

Now there's a thought. Might be, mightn't it.

This must be the book.

CheesyFeet Mon 12-Feb-07 10:34:45

A super stylish maternity leave...
pmsl

I had a tracksuit. It was grey brushed cotton with an elasticated waist on the trousers which covered up my Big Knickers rather well. It washed fantastically, all the blood/baby puke/snot etc etc came out perfectly every time. I also wore maternity trousers for rather longer than I was expecting to.

I dressed down my dressing gown by wearing a vest underneath. Which had extra wide straps to cover up my humungous bra straps. See, I wasn't so unstylish as to have my bra straps on show

Cappuccino Mon 12-Feb-07 10:32:21

Grace Saunders

oh crap, it's none of you lot, is it?

JackieNo Mon 12-Feb-07 10:31:34

Who is the author?

Cappuccino Mon 12-Feb-07 10:29:30

ooh now I check again it seems she has written a book about this!

hoorah! for just £12.99 we can pick up more of her insight

beansprout Mon 12-Feb-07 10:28:34

Shall we send them some pictures of us when our dcs were newborns and ask them what they suggest?

NAB3 Mon 12-Feb-07 10:27:20

I love eve mag but that article did annoy me.

beansprout Mon 12-Feb-07 10:25:37

I bet the model looks like she has slept in the last week and hey, don't tell me, has the make up that I spent sooo much time applying when ds was first born. I still think "making the effort" is brushing my hair rather than just scraping it back, and ds is 2

ScottishMummy Mon 12-Feb-07 10:22:31

LAUGH CHORTLE

i spent a good 4-6 weeks in manky pyjama and/or dressing gown with huge sore boobies

I sported the following new mummy look

greasy manky hair
sore nipples
psychotic haze induced by lack of REM sleepa sanitary pad the size of a duvet jammed in my waist high knickers

boyfriend
Wore dressing gown for a week too

....No sanny pad ...or sore boobies....not that i noticed

OH yes and lots of takeaway food cos neither of us could be fecked cooking

Cappuccino Mon 12-Feb-07 10:18:58

oh go on MrsCusack it's an investment buy

MrsJohnCusack Mon 12-Feb-07 10:16:22

god I didn't even know you could buy a cashmere tracksuit. What a useless piece of clothing. Must rush out and get one

Aloha Mon 12-Feb-07 10:12:20

sundress a really good choice for breastfeeding, eh?
And yes, a really brilliant wheeze to buy a cashmere (!) tracksuit in size 18 when you'll be a size 14 in about six weeks time! And you'd have to hand wash or dry clean it Mad, mad, mad.

cupcakes Mon 12-Feb-07 10:11:06

sundress? Any type of dress whilst breastfeeding is going to make life pretty complicated. Unless you like exposing your knickers when feeding.

remember white is a good colour for muslin cloths as it will go with all outfits-you will be draped in them for the first 6 months.

Cappuccino Mon 12-Feb-07 10:07:18

'I had to find a wardrobe that would allow me to.. carry piles of laundry up and down the stairs'

do you know I often spend hours choosing the right outfit for tasks like this

WideWebWitch Mon 12-Feb-07 10:04:35

"Remember to buy extra large sanitary pads and pile cream"

JackieNo Mon 12-Feb-07 10:04:25

Dressing gown

JackieNo Mon 12-Feb-07 10:04:13

Just a manky dressing down should do, really.

Cappuccino Mon 12-Feb-07 10:02:35

we should write our own version

"All you need for the first weeks is a long coat and a pair of pyjamas'

cazboldy Mon 12-Feb-07 10:00:52

Just after mine were born I thought it was an achievement to get dressed at all......who cares what I am wearing as long as it covers my ginormous boobs and does up at the waist!?

i saw this too and went and flipped the page!!!

hana Mon 12-Feb-07 09:59:42

'and has obviously washed her hair'

lol

WideWebWitch Mon 12-Feb-07 09:59:18

Oh I know Capp, I sniggered at that too.

Cashmere and posset go SO well together.

edam Mon 12-Feb-07 09:59:08

LOL! But at least they noticed that women have babies. Most glossy mags don't. When I worked in that industry, fashion desks were not exactly well-known for employing mothers.

OttergavebirthonValentines Mon 12-Feb-07 09:58:40

how ridiculous
'touche eclat' for the bags and a pair of red flares for the extra bloody days?

Cappuccino Mon 12-Feb-07 09:58:02

I'd also like to point out that the woman in the pictures weighs about six stone

and has obviously washed her hair

Cappuccino Mon 12-Feb-07 09:56:59

okay the fun starts with:

'A super-stylish maternity leave' - after the birth buy 'an oh-so-soft tracksuit in velour or cashmere (go on - it's an investment buy'

okay so when can a velour tracksuit ever be right?

and how is buying a piece of clothing in a size you hope you'll never be again an 'investment'

it goes on

'wear your jeans with a 'wow' top that you can dress down with a vest underneath'

and there is a picture of a woman in a white top costing £95 for her baby to puke down

doesn't look particularly washable either

by the second page we are wesring the most hideous dress imaginable in a vile print because it 'hides a multitude of sins' (?!) and then we see a lovely woman in her trenchcoat and Mulberry bag which doesn't look a) like it is holding any nappies or b) like it is going to be looped over the handle of any pushchair anytime soon as she doesn't have one with her

oh and as if we hadn't thought of this, in the summer we should 'wear a sundress'

and buy waterproof mascara for the 'baby blues'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now