Last minute hair cut jitters

(4 Posts)
GinAndOnIt Mon 31-Oct-16 16:34:20

Well, not quite last minute, I have until 9am Wednesday.

My hair is currently about armpit length, the longest it's been since.... well, I can't actually remember. A long time. It's been anywhere between a pixie and a bob up until now. I've been enjoying the flexibility of it, and being able to throw it up.

But, I hardly ever style it because I know I've got the option to put it up, so I just do that out of laziness. So I thought, enough is enough, I'll have it cut and then I'll have to get back into the habit of making it look nice.

Except now, I've blow-dried it for the first time in about three months, and I fear I'm going to miss the length. I will, won't I? But then I think about how nice freshly cut hair feels, and I keep eyeing up people with bobs.

I've attached a couple of photos of the sort of hairstyle I was hoping to achieve on Wednesday.

Should I just get on with it, or will I really regret it?

70isaLimitNotaTarget Mon 31-Oct-16 18:37:12

If its armpit length why not get a couple of inches cut so it can still skim past your shoulders but it feels 'blunter'. You can still tie it.
My DD went from hair past her waist to elbow length to shoulder length. She loves it, still plaits it (I liked her hair really long, but it's her hair)

I went from bob (boring) to bob+fringe (ok) to layers (big mistake it went all wild'n'wavery) to crop.
I've had it short now for a couple of years, I cannot get to any stage where I can grow it, so every 5 weeks its cropped.

Plus side though, I've done loads of things with the colour, it just gets cropped out.
But everyone who tells you "it's hair , it grows" - yes, but it's a pain in the tonsils to regrow.

GinAndOnIt Mon 31-Oct-16 18:47:27

We don't have the spare cash to really justify a professional hair cut for just a few inches off, as I can do that myself (and did it about two months ago?) so, if I'm going to go through with the appointment, it needs to be worth it IYSWIM.

I would never get a pixie crop again. My god, the growing out was painful. It was also the only hairstyle I've ever had that required daily faffing, with bits sticking up in the morning all over the shop! Normally I can blow dry my hair and it will last for about 3 days, possibly five with a bit of dry shampoo and overnight rollers just along parting.

Do you think I should just continue trimming back myself then, until I know for definite that short is what I want?

(I know people say it's silly to cut your own hair, but it works for me for a tidy-up and saves so much money)

wooooofudge Mon 31-Oct-16 19:09:04

Do it. The length and styles you like are not exactly going to be an extreme change.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now