Work clothes in a wheelchair

(9 Posts)
bobgoblin23 Sun 30-Oct-16 18:49:14

Hi all
I am transitioning in to a wheelchair and will be soon using it at work. I usually wear dresses to work, I'm 12/14 and wear wiggle dress or skater dress style. This will not work in a wheelchair as I get a belly when I sit down and my thighs double in size. My lovely 😊 bum is hidden and no one can really see past a chair anyway...

So what should I wear instead? Are there any go to styles - like the rules for pear 🍐 shaped gals or apple etc.

I've googled, searched on twitter and instagram but I'm not getting anything really other than adaptive clothing (which I don't need).

Any ideas? Many thanks

Kaffiene Sun 30-Oct-16 19:13:02

My daughter uses a wheelchair. She is only 8 but it has made me more aware. I don't think there is a wheelchair uniform as such ;-)
I know quite a few people who go for highly impractical but great looking shoes. Ones you could never wear if you had to walk any distance!
On a more practical note I would have thought skater dresses would be great - don't they hide your thighs? You want to avoid waist bands as much as possible or trousers with pockets etc. With a shortish cropped jacket would look super smart.
Also have you thought about what bag to use? Small cross body or are you able to get a bag on and off the back?

CMOTDibbler Sun 30-Oct-16 19:16:12

Have a look on Pintrest - 'wheelchair fashion' or 'wheelchair outfit' seem to get the best results, and I found a link to an article on golden rules - like you'll need longer trousers than if you were standing, and longer tops.

I like the way this blogger moves her waistline up and uses full skirts

Or this lady rocks a lap length top and trousers look

Good luck in finding a new look that works for you smile

Kaffiene Sun 30-Oct-16 19:16:21

Ps My daughter loves the Push Girls, while I am not suggesting you want to dress like them. Maybe following some famous people who use WCs on Facebook, Instagram might give you some ideas.

ElspethFlashman Sun 30-Oct-16 19:22:06

Not me, but family member in wheelchair so am familiar with the tummy issue. She wears separates with peplum tops or similar.

Piehunter Sun 30-Oct-16 19:33:09

Bloody stomach podge in dresses is one of my most irritating fashion related issues in a chair, it's such a pain. Sometimes leggings can do enough that with the right dress its workable.. Tops also ride up and look too short, I wear long line everything mostly but that's useful to remember. Pencil skirts and tops? I don't need office wear but I have a couple of denim skirts that look nice as they properly outline my shape which I find important and a skirt holds your wobblier bits in better than a dress. Empire line dresses may be feasible? I have some tops and dresses with elasticated empire line that look really nice on as you can't see my stomach.

PinkBuffalo Sun 30-Oct-16 19:36:16

When my mum has to go somewhere smart (she doesn't work now) she will usually go with a maxi dress or skirt. She looks very nice and can accessorise with cardigan etc.

bobgoblin23 Sun 30-Oct-16 20:16:59

Fab thanks for all your responses! Never heard of Push Girls so will check them out.

Probably right about the skater dress, I stupidly have not tried my work clothes on sat down in front of a mirror! First step I think! Finding this change really hard, especially has work are being difficult with me so I'm probably worrying about the clothes to take attention away from that.

Piehunter Mon 31-Oct-16 08:52:52

You have to regain your confidence in a chair, fashion or otherwise. Your confidence will help others be less uncomfortable too (I still don't understand why it creates the awkwardness it does...) I don't use my chair in the house but I have a stool I do hair/make up on and get dressed with, useful to see what things look like sat down! A PP mentioned maxi dresses, I love them but don't like many of them on me when I'm in my chair as I feel they make me look wide around hips/stomach area.

Really sorry work are being difficult, hope you're getting support from somewhere, health professional or occupational health?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now