My 40th

(11 Posts)
exhaustedhome Sat 29-Oct-16 17:35:20

It's my 40th in December -I've got a couple get togethers with friends to celebrate. The first one in 2 weeks. I've lost my way a bit with clothes - used to 'get' it and was a long term poster on the wise and avid threads etc. Now, I wander into shops and wander out again.

We are staying in a hotel in shoreditch and out for dinner and drinks. I have absolutely no idea what to wear.

I'm a size 12 - good legs but crap tummy area.

I love Isabel marant sort of stuff, but a) too ££ And when I try it on it makes me look like I'm wearing a toddlers clothes.

My most worn evening dress is a navy lace whistles number that is short but with a bit of a frill. That's the sort of look I'd like, I think

I'd love to look and feel amazing, it's been a tough year and currently due to work I'm worn out and looking ragged.

Help from the experts much appreciated.

Help!

Chippednailvarnishing Sat 29-Oct-16 17:37:43

I'm following this with interest!

starsinyourpies Sun 30-Oct-16 13:33:00

If you live near London I highly recommend the (free) personal styling at John Lewis Oxford Street, they did a brilliant job when I was in a panic about an awards do! Other John Lewis stores offer it but don't have such a wide range of the higher end brands for special occasions.

Pisssssedofff Sun 30-Oct-16 14:12:04

If you love the navy dress, wear that. I go back to old favourites that I know work time and time again - I also keep my eyes peeled for updated versions but if something makes you feel good and confident stick with it, but some new jewellery to go with it to have a "new" thing

exhaustedhome Sun 30-Oct-16 14:24:30

I'd really like something new - literally the
Navy dress has been worn every wedding and party for the last 3 years!

That's a good idea re personal shopper - think I'm going to struggle with getting to the shops though and was thinking online ideally

Pantsalive Sun 30-Oct-16 14:27:14

Have you got a picture of the Whistles dress? I can't quite picture it so can guess whether feminine or a bit edgy.

Have you looked at Jigsaw? I like their dresses for looking pretty dressed up but feeling comfortable.

Pantsalive Sun 30-Oct-16 14:27:44

*can't not can

shirkingworking Sun 30-Oct-16 15:13:49

Can anybody recommend a particular personal shopper at JohnLewis in Oxford Street? I went before my 40th, a year ago, and she didn't find me anything I liked! All rather frumpsville. Sorry for the post hijack!

JamieVardysParty Sun 30-Oct-16 15:51:45

Can't link rn, but I keep recommending the ASOS Minimal playsuit. It's black, V neck but not revealing, just above knee and fitting without being clingy. I'm a 12 with a wobbly stomach and it is so flattering.

I wore it with a big statement necklace and had so many compliments. I've worn it on nights out, to a christening, to a wedding etc and found it so versatile.

It's been a while since I've felt cool on a night out but this really hits the spot.

Just search minimal playsuit on ASOS, it's the one with short sleeves and kind of looks like a dress. I'll try and find a link later if you like the sound of it.

happypoobum Sun 30-Oct-16 17:01:20

Is it this Jamie ?
Looks a lot shorter at the front than the back?

Have you looked at the "& other stories" website OP? Lots of cool affordable clothes there.

JamieVardysParty Sun 30-Oct-16 17:46:54

That's the one happy. Looking at mine, the back is slightly longer, maybe an inch or so, but doesn't look hugely obvious. I didn't even notice till you pointed it out but the picture makes it look more of a difference than it is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now