Ruched skirt - hush or baukjen

(16 Posts)
MrsDurrell Sat 29-Oct-16 11:12:18

I really like the look of the hush ruched skirt but it's out of stock in a medium. So, my question, do they come back into stock or is that it until next season? Plan b is the Baukjen karlie ruched skirt (and the grey looks nice). However I like the idea of the double layer in the hush skirt, does anyone know if the baukjen skirt is thin or is it adequately thick? And I'm a size 12 if that helps! Thanks

DrScholl Sat 29-Oct-16 11:18:02

all i can say is that they are ACE
i hve the boden one and it doesn't bag ALL day

think that is double layered

MrsDurrell Sat 29-Oct-16 11:26:32

Or Kettlewell, just to throw a third contender into the ring?

Floisme Sat 29-Oct-16 11:29:23

Neither are quite right for me. The Baukjen one is the right length but too thin unless I wear very substantial underwear. The Hush one is double layered so has much better sucky-in powers but it's too short.

I think the Boden version is better than either of them but I don't think they're doing it for autumn, although I saw a thread about some in clearance.

nickEcave Sat 29-Oct-16 13:58:43

I love my kettlewell one but I am under 5 foot and it is on my knee. I imagine it would be a micro mini on anyone remotely tall

Thisismynewname123 Sun 30-Oct-16 08:05:52

Thanks for posting as I have been asking myself exactly the same question! I really want the Hush one because I have the Tara dress which I figure as the same skirt on it, and it's so flattering, but the skirt is out of stock and I've been checking every day waiting for it. I haven't ordered from Bakujen before but I have been looking at their skirt as an alternative, but I didn't realise it wasn't the same thickness as the Hush one. I think that makes up my mind to wait for it to come back in stock. I'd never heard of kettlewell before, so I'm just looking now. Lots of the reviews seem to say that it sags. Does anyone know how it compares to the Hush one? Does it sag? Is it the same double thickness as the Hush one?

slenderisthenight Sun 30-Oct-16 08:11:34

Sorry to add nothing helpful but how does anyone of normal height actually wear these skirts? In the hush catalogue the ruched skirt looks fairly short but it's a Small and the model wearing it is 5 foot 9!

I was going to start a thread asking what brands of ruched skirt are suited to ordinary people of 5 ft 5 but if any experts on this thread could throw an answer my way I'd be very grateful.

Gillybobs Sun 30-Oct-16 08:37:34

The baukjen isn't thick but there's loads of fabric so it's so ruched I find it very flattering (and I'm a 14/16). I do always wear with thick opaques which helps give a smooth line. Length wise I'm 5'7 and it is plenty long....the beauty of it is that you can play about with the ruching until it's the length you want. I have two, black and grey and I get compliments every single time I wear them. Great buys.

RosieLig Sun 30-Oct-16 08:37:44

Boden one is perfect - on the knee (I'm 5 foot 6) and double layered. I wear it to work.

Mumelie Sun 30-Oct-16 08:43:40

Kettlewell one comes in 2 lengths for those looking for more coverage.
I'm going to try and make one as they seem very expensive for what they are!

MrsDurrell Sun 30-Oct-16 08:47:59

Update- The baukjen isn't double thickness, I phoned and asked customer services! I've ordered the kettlewell skirt as it's double thickness and looks pretty similar. Boden don't do the ruched skirt anymore. I don't think the hush skirt will come back into stock because some of their clothes say things like in stock in 6 weeks and this has nothing but out of stock. I will report back on kettlewell skirt when it arrives!

Thisismynewname123 Sun 30-Oct-16 09:10:25

I'm going to watch out for your review of the Kettlewell one! I think the Hush one has been a bit of a staple so I can't imagine it won't come back. I think lots of people have probably ordered it in the last week whilst they have a mini sale on (not on the skirt, but on other stuff) so hoping some will be returned in the next week or so.

Floisme Sun 30-Oct-16 09:29:52

slender not sure what length you're after but I'm 5'3 and look for knee length or just below. The best one I've ever had was from Me and Em - they've not done it for a few years but worth looking out for 2nd hand. ££ but the fabric is really heavy duty and gives me a great shape.

Boden in long length finishes just where my knee ends. I think there was a patterned one in their latest spring preview so there might be more coming in a few months.

The Hush was way too short for me (and remember I'm only 5'3). I should have sent it back but I loved the colour (burgundy). If I wear it halfway down my hips, it just reaches my knees but it feels a bit precarious and I have to layer the tops carefully!

Not tried Kettlewell but it looks promising and I'll look out for reports.

slenderisthenight Sun 30-Oct-16 10:38:50

Thank you flois. That's really helpful. I have to wear short ones as hips to waist ratio leaves me looking like a washer woman otherwise! Not that I have anything against washer women...smile

slenderisthenight Sun 30-Oct-16 10:38:56

Thank you flois. That's really helpful. I have to wear short ones as hips to waist ratio leaves me looking like a washer woman otherwise! Not that I have anything against washer women...smile

KatharinaRosalie Sun 30-Oct-16 17:43:37

Yes Boden is great, knee length for me (5'6). Hush is way too short.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now