What shoes to wear with LBD to dress it down?

(13 Posts)
AngelicCurls Fri 28-Oct-16 19:00:16

I'm going to a work do in a few weeks where there are 2 nights of smart/dressyish but not too dressy type events. I've 2 short black dresses that i'd love to wear as I never get to go out post kids but don't want to look too dressed up. I'm thinking of wearing them with thick black opaques but not sure what shoes to wear that won't look too try to hard. I've got some little silver ballet flats, an ancient pair of black strappy heels (which i think would be too dressy), a pair of fuschia heels with a bow (poss too dressy tho the colour might be nice) or tan ankle boots. Do I need to buy a new pair of shoes, and if so what shall I get?!

FrickOnAStick Fri 28-Oct-16 19:06:16

M&S and possibly you'll hate them but I recently bought these in the burgundy patent and they are fab. They work with opaques or skinnies and are comfy and a bargain.

Bibs2014 Fri 28-Oct-16 19:07:10

Shoe boots?

FrickOnAStick Fri 28-Oct-16 19:07:53

Sorry, M&S call the shade 'wine'. They look a bit brown on my iPad, they are more burgundy in RL.

panad317 Fri 28-Oct-16 19:09:08

Heeled boots

AngelicCurls Fri 28-Oct-16 19:12:14

Not keen on those frick- sorry! Would heeled ankle boots work? I have a pair of block tan ankle boots somewhere? I also have flat knee lenght tan boots but are they a bit passé?

HereIAm20 Fri 28-Oct-16 19:27:25

I'd go with the ballet flats

I'd go for heeled ankle boots - black, not tan. Or the silver ballet shoes.

HardcoreLadyType Fri 28-Oct-16 19:32:03

None of those sound quite right, really.

If I had to choose, I'd probably go with the ankle boots, depending on the dresses.

MotherFuckingChainsaw Fri 28-Oct-16 20:22:54

DMs?

<gets coat>

AngelicCurls Fri 28-Oct-16 20:38:08

hardcore what would you recommend then-am willing to buy new smile
The silver flats are old and not that comfy but might do if I don't get anything else

squiz81 Fri 28-Oct-16 22:04:47

I don't think any of those shoes would work with thick black tights (except maybe the tan boots? If you want to wear black tights I think you will have to get black shoes or ankle boots.
I had a quick look on Google images and there s loads of ideas

bingisthebest Fri 28-Oct-16 23:04:53

Heeled ankle boots in black will dress it down.
I have a do next weekend and are wearing a fitted dress and plan on opaque tights and ankle boots to make me feel less dressed up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now