I don't want to straighten my hair every day - something to make it look nicely wavy?

(15 Posts)
2ndSopranos Thu 27-Oct-16 08:11:49

I have very thick, naturally wavy hair that when a little longer (currently just past my shoulders) dries quite curly, almost in loose ringlets. It looks nice until I go outside or brush it in which case it explodes.

I tend to straighten it for work but I don't want to do that daily. It's in good condition (it's trimmed/coloured quite regularly). I went through a phase of running Frizz Ease through it on non-GHD days but it just looked oily.

Is there anything else I can put on it to bring out the natural curl?

Pisssssedofff Thu 27-Oct-16 08:26:49

Stop using siloncone and sulphate shampoo. Curly hair is in (at bloody last), I'm loving the umberto giovanna curly hair range at boots, pink bottles, the gel dries, then you scrunch it and perfect ringlets are there. No frizz !!

2ndSopranos Thu 27-Oct-16 08:31:07

Thanks for that! I'm going very near a Boots later so I'll try that.

FuckThatToOneSide Thu 27-Oct-16 08:33:20

Watching with interest OP. I also have naturally wavy hair, though mine is quite fine and lightweight. It either looks nice all by itself or looks terrible all by itself. The only way to guarantee it looking ok is to straighten it, which I don't have time to do ever every day.

Felascloak Thu 27-Oct-16 08:36:30

Boots pink curl creme 1.99 a tub and a tub lasts me ages grin
Do not brush it except when dripping wet, I just finger comb with water and curl creme to style on days when I don't shower (no flaming please)

Pisssssedofff Thu 27-Oct-16 08:36:35

Never brush it, in fact I just finger comb it when im conditioning it these days. Mines grown really nicely now I'm staying away from the heat, only needs trimming once a year and in great condition, shiny which it hadn't been in 25 years

KitKats28 Thu 27-Oct-16 09:24:33

I love the Umberto Gianni gel too. The curl creme works well too if you use it "properly". Squish it into soaking wet hair, and then keep squeezing the moisture out. Wrap in an old cotton t-shirt for a couple of hours, then air dry. Scrunch with your hands to get the crispiness out and you should have nice waves.

As a PP said, use sulphate free shampoo (Body Shop Rain Forest is ok) and silicone free conditioner (Fructis from £ shops).

specialsubject Thu 27-Oct-16 12:41:32

I am evangelical about the wellastrate treatment. My frizzy curls are light waves afterwards and take moments to straighten.

It comes in two strengths, the less ferocious one should do for you. Lasts a year.

MaidOfStars Thu 27-Oct-16 14:45:03

My "perfect wave" routine is:
1. Wash hair at night (no special shampoo etc), then apply John Frieda Frizz Ease Air Dry Waves Styling Foam, scrunch or twirl into ringlets, let dry overnight.
2. Before applying makeup in the morning, give hair a really good spritz with John Frieda Beach Blonde Sea Waves Sea Salt Spray, again scrunch or twirl to boost overnight curls, let dry while doing makeup.
3. Finish with TRESemme Make Waves Creation Hairspray, for final definition/hold.

Sounds arduous but isn't.

MaidOfStars Thu 27-Oct-16 14:46:12

(should say, I have natural loose ringlets that frizz, and this sorts them out into proper, even, day-long curls)

thissismyusername Thu 27-Oct-16 18:11:13

I have thick curly ringlets, and Ive never straightened mine. I use Lush R&B to eliminate frizz and define curls.
You only use a tiny amount when its damp. I soak my hair in the morning and squeeze dry and comb through, then after my coffee apply R&B scrunch curls - go.
The girl in the shop gave me a sample first as its quite expensive but lasts an age.

Also I use a product called "twisted sister" its designed for mixed race hair, which mine isn't, but there is a lovely curl creme thats super light and works for me. I prefer a creme to the gel as I find it goes bit crispy but thats probably me not doing it light

Good luck

burnishedsilver Thu 27-Oct-16 18:27:03

Babyliss Big Hair

IdaDown Thu 27-Oct-16 20:25:01

shop.swell.co.uk

I like these products.
You can get them in M&S.

No silicones etc... not tested on animals.

Makes my nest of frizz a pre-Raphalite dream.

CaptainBrickbeard Thu 27-Oct-16 20:27:53

Google curly girl method or hair 'plopping'. Wash with silicon/sulphate free shampoo and conditioner, comb through curling gel/cream stuff and then you wrap the wet hair in a long sleeve t-shirt for twenty mins and leave to dry naturally. Lovely, shiny curls for minimal effort!

DandelionAndBedrock Thu 27-Oct-16 20:33:19

I find sleeping on damp hair seems to 'fix' the wave in my hair a bit. I don't add anything to it.

I get a really itchy neck if I sleep with dry hair now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now