Annoyed by New Look's Trump email

(10 Posts)
Hetaera Tue 25-Oct-16 09:22:34

Last night, I received an email from New Look telling me that I should "respect women" and dump Trump (and wear one of their grotty slogan t-shirts).
The email really, really annoyed me. I am a UK resident, have no sway in the US election and really don't believe that it was appropriate.

Can they guarantee their shirts are produced fairly? Are they giving a share of their profits from this shirt to a charity? Er, no. Obviously I have now unsubscribed from their emails.

PinkSquash Tue 25-Oct-16 09:24:51

I saw that last night and was miffed by it, I don't understand what they hoped to gain from it

botemp Tue 25-Oct-16 09:26:43

What they hoped to gain from it was stirring a bit of controversy resulting in some free publicity as perfectly demonstrated by this thread.

Hetaera Tue 25-Oct-16 09:28:25

Yes, you're right botemp. But it made me so cross!

LornaUK Tue 25-Oct-16 09:38:59

I also got an unwanted USA election related Google+ notification from the Democrat campaigners (Clinton's machinery). I try my best not to subscribe to anything as it always becomes totally unwelcome.

It is shocking the new low the American election campaigns have become.
It seems about 99% of the time, attention is focused away from the most important questions & issues... a standard propaganda tactic. If only the Americans would wake up & realise they are being bamboozled.

botemp Tue 25-Oct-16 10:02:20

I don't like it either when companies become political, it's somewhat unnerving whether I agree with their stance or not. It feels very invasive somehow, companies are supposed to be neutral in my mind.

I found the Tic Tac response amusing (they distanced themselves from Trump as he asked for a Tic Tac from that reporter so his breath wouldn't smell when he would try to kiss that women without her express consent) and sadly it felt somewhat necessary while opportunistic but this definitely feels solely opportunistic.

On the other hand I do find myself avoiding more and more companies on the base of their policies and conduct, few multinationals are perfect but some genuinely tend to strive for better ways (environmentally, socially, sustainably, tax paying, etc.) and others only care about their shareholders' bottom line. I know people are educating themselves on these issues more and more and that negatively impacts some and motivates change while other will maneuver like this, aligning themselves with political causes their customer base would most likely respond positively to with some publicity (good/bad it seems to make no difference) to boot. Neither one are looking good in my book.

pyjamasalways Tue 25-Oct-16 10:04:55

I thought it was weird too it's not our election.

LoisWooookersonsLastNerve Tue 25-Oct-16 10:07:49

I think its nice they've put the work experience kid in charge of marketing. grin Very cringe inducing.

Thingvellir Tue 25-Oct-16 10:13:39

I'm with you OP - I agree it's opportunism trying to ride a wave of public opinion, and from a cheap clothing company (manufacturing practices and NMW employer) it's doubly annoying.

We can all have an opinion on the US election if we want, but it's not our election, and wrong to campaign over here and try to influence US voters when we don't have a right to vote ourselves.

TheCompanyOfCats Tue 25-Oct-16 10:39:43

It's teeth-itchingly awful. Where do you start? It ignores it's demographic (er, British people), it arrogantly takes a side, it's pathetically American-wannabe. It's smacks of a young would-be Buzzfeeder trying to seem politically aware whilst proving themselves the opposite. angry

I'd actually be tempted to send them some feedback.

I'm not on Facebook but I'd be amazed if there aren't a few people giving NewLook what for on there this morning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now