New jumper - how best to style? Pic

(24 Posts)
YvaineStormhold Tue 18-Oct-16 20:44:21

My lovely DP is drowning in Brownie points tonight, after he handed me the jumper I've been salivating over for months.

It's a bit special and I'm not the sort of person who can throw on jeans and a jumper I have legs like a pit pony and look amazing.

So, how can I do it justice? Would it look ok with wide black trousers and trainers?
Is there a skirt it would work with?

Help, mavens.

BifsWif Tue 18-Oct-16 20:46:40

A just above knew-length skater style/a-line skirt with black tights and boots would look great!

BifsWif Tue 18-Oct-16 20:46:58

Knee*

YvaineStormhold Tue 18-Oct-16 20:48:21

Ooh, that's a good idea...

botemp Tue 18-Oct-16 21:00:04

Ooh love that Bella Freud one, especially in that colour.

It's somewhat tight fitting, slight bit of slouch, right?

I say wear it with a mini A-line skirt or tuck in the front of trousers (medium-highish waist) and leave it out at the back. Scrunch up on the arms a bit for a casual look. Wear over a crisp shirt but keep the collar tucked in underneath for a more modern look and to not detract from the strong graphic feel of the sweater. Will look great with denim (shorts) too. It shouldn't be too hard to dress up and down and a quick Google image search should give you plenty more inspiration.

CaitAgusMadra Tue 18-Oct-16 21:19:31

Does my bum look 40 has this jumper and has worn it a few different ways on her blog, worth checking for inspiration

SinglePringle Tue 18-Oct-16 21:24:03

Black pleated midi skirt (possibly in a double layer chiffon type fabric), white shirt (masculine tailoring) styled as suggested above, black opaques and black brogues.

YvaineStormhold Tue 18-Oct-16 21:51:09

Some great ideas here!

I like the Bum40 woman's blog, but she's a racehorse to my pit pony so what suits her doesn't always suit me, sadly.

PropertyWidow Tue 18-Oct-16 22:24:20

What size/height are you? I love Bella Freud, have quite a few of her sweaters.

I have the 1970 in a poloneck and wear it tucked into cropped skinny high rise jeans or leather skinnies (J brand alana in leopard print, Paige rocket high rise in medium wash or J brand Maria leather) with either very low block heels (I'm wearing my Maryam Nassir Zadeh Roberta pumps in red suede or burgundy leather on repeat) or white sneakers (Acne studios Kobe or IM Bayla, most worn favourites), with a cropped fur jacket or a collarless mid thigh coat (I have a very old black boucle Chanel one). A bit mod, a bit gamine and a bit Mossy. I'm
5 foot 7 and size 6 for reference.

JackandDiane Wed 19-Oct-16 01:08:31

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

YvaineStormhold Wed 19-Oct-16 08:09:11

Jealousy is very unattractive, Jack wink

YvaineStormhold Wed 19-Oct-16 08:11:22

Although I'm 5ft 7 and a size 14, so I'm a bit envy too grin

PropertyWidow Wed 19-Oct-16 08:11:36

Thanks Jack, I aim to please.

sleepachu Wed 19-Oct-16 08:16:13

Oh my god, how amazing is that jumper envy I want everything of hers x Fred Perry. I'd wear that with leggings and some really good classic trainers. (Can never keep up with the rules on whether leggings are/are not pants)

YvaineStormhold Wed 19-Oct-16 08:50:43

So, basically, to style my jumper properly involves losing two stone.

I suspected as much grin

PropertyWidow Wed 19-Oct-16 09:06:19

No, I meant what size you are will dictate what looks good! I don't for one minute subscribe to the view that you have to look one way to look good, only that what looks good at one size will not at another.

I'm not great in many things, because I'm bony but that's due to serious illness and I try not to think about it.

Her knits look good in many ways, I was only describing what I wear. Do you like your legs? Did your husband buy you the sweater in a fitted style or oversize? If fitted I would say a short a line skirt, black opaques and some block heel loafers (low or high, depending on how you feel) or some oxfords. Oversize, I'd say some skinny flares with heels, tuck it in at the front and let it hang loose at the back or some high waist track pant style trousers (there's a lot doing the rounds) tucked at the front, loose at the back with white sneakers or high stilettos for evening.

YvaineStormhold Wed 19-Oct-16 10:01:21

Oh, I wasn't being funny! I do need to lose weight to wear the things I want to!

Sorry if I sounded arsey flowers

PropertyWidow Wed 19-Oct-16 10:57:43

Not at all. I get carried away sometimes with this stuff as I've been involved in the style business at various times. Enjoy your sweater!

blueskyinmarch Wed 19-Oct-16 11:02:46

I know - everyone to their own, but fuck me, £290 for a very ordinary looking sweater! It had better feel like the wings of angels and wash like a dream at that price!

YvaineStormhold Wed 19-Oct-16 11:03:34

You certainly seem to know your stuff.

On which point...can I get away with wearing a slogan sweatshirt with smart navy wideleg trousers and Stan Smiths?

Hurry up though - I'm off to work in ten minutes and I don't think I'm getting away with it grin

PropertyWidow Wed 19-Oct-16 11:16:53

Definitely! very Vetements (for the fashion geeks out there).

Fabellini Wed 19-Oct-16 11:19:12

According to the Net a Porter sizing guide, a large in the Bella Freud jumper is a 12-14, so you're being a bit disingenuous with your pit pony, and needing to lose stones nonsense!

YvaineStormhold Wed 19-Oct-16 11:28:29

No, he got me a medium and I was a bit worried, but it fits fine. Slightly form-fitting, which is why it won't look great with jeans, but I'm about a 12 top so I just about get away with it.

YvaineStormhold Wed 19-Oct-16 11:29:27

Ah - I chickened out and changed my jumper. Maybe next time smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now