Vintage style dress for wedding that doesn't make my boobs look like a shelf!

(23 Posts)
UnGoogleable Sat 15-Oct-16 23:11:56

I'm going to a wedding in December - all day in a hotel type jobbie, so not too worried about being outdoors.

I really like the 50's vintage style look, and have been looking at Lindy Bop and Elsie's Attic following recommendations from MN. I need a bold colour - I have grey hair despite being in my 30s, so it needs to be colourful and not ageing (silver & gold are out of the question)

I'm 5'10" and size 12 on top, 14 around my tum and bum. I'm very conscious of my bloated tummy, but I have a small waist and big hips - hence me linking the retro nipped-in-waist style.

I need something below the knee, and also with a sympathetic neckline. I feel that anything with a high neck just emphasizes the boob area too much, so that the frontage is just a boob shelf - so I think a v-neck or sweetheart neckline is best.

I love this Teal Butterfly Tea Dress but it has that high-neck problem.

I also like these:

Grace Midnight Blue

Polka Dot

Amber midnight blue

But I'm not sure if they'll look a bit tacky in the flesh. Has anyone ordered from them before?

My budget is up to £100. Can any of you wise style gurus help??

ThePortlyPinUp Sat 15-Oct-16 23:15:34

I'd take a look at the collectif trixie I think it would really suit your shape.

UnGoogleable Sat 15-Oct-16 23:34:08

is it this one Collectif Trixie

If so, yes, I love that, thank you! The green one is a perfect colour.

Totally off the brief here, but I'm also looking at Peacock themed dresses - a bit like this one Peacock dress but I think it's a bit tacky... and maybe a bit too 'Look at me' for a wedding. What do you reckon?

BigGreenOlives Sun 16-Oct-16 07:52:45

The peacock dress is very pretty but it looks like a black tie dress rather than a dress for a day into evening wedding.

FrameyMcFrame Sun 16-Oct-16 08:01:34

http://www.weekenddoll.co.uk/regina-chiffon-dress-vintage-inspired-and-wedding-guest-party-dresses-50s-style-moss-green-xs-8-plain_133928.html
Weekend Doll. Love their stuff, a bit more toned down vintage with a modern twist

Outcomesthebunnyofdeath Sun 16-Oct-16 08:22:38

I have a lindy bop dress. I only paid £11 for it in the sale. I got lots of nice comments on it, but only wore it for a vintage dress up day, it is quite a silky material and I do think it looks a little cheap - I wouldn't wear it to a wedding but that may be just that particular material. However the dresses are quite cheap overall and this may be reflected in their quality.

Love some of the weekend doll ones.

MontyPythonsFlyingFuck Sun 16-Oct-16 09:27:48

Collectif Dolores Doll is the cut you want. Sweetheart neckline, incredibly flattering.

mimiasovitch Sun 16-Oct-16 12:42:13

How about something like this? They have this fabric in other designs too.

mimiasovitch Sun 16-Oct-16 12:45:32

this fabric is nice too

UnGoogleable Sun 16-Oct-16 23:09:03

Oooh thanks - yes both the Collectif, Weekend Doll and Victory Parade are very much the style I'm aiming for.

Some of them are a bit casual though (although I'm bookmarking them for work / casual occasions) I'd like something with a bit more glamour.

The Collectif Dolores Doll dress is indeed just the style that would suit me, I think. Is Polka Dot acceptable for a wedding - like this one Collectif Dolores Doll

Fletcherl Mon 17-Oct-16 07:28:59

I have had great clothes from English Country Vintage.

choppolata Mon 17-Oct-16 09:10:27

I have the Sallyanne dress from Victory Parade, it is very flattering and comes in a peacock print www.victoryparadecollection.com/info2.cfm?info_id=220311

UnGoogleable Tue 15-Nov-16 23:18:17

Oh god I'm still going round in circles.

Every time I find a dress I like, I lose confidence and think it will look shit on me.

I love a lot of the dresses on here Top Vintage but I'm worried they won't flatter me. I think I'm most similar in shape to This Lady except my boobs are smaller and I'm younger (39)

I like the swing type dresses, but I'm tall and I'm not sure whether they'll look too short, and therefore too young on me.

I love the wiggle dresses, but I have a large stomach. I could wear some magic pants though.

Aaargh, help, I've got 2 weeks to get it ordered, factoring in time to send back / buy another / buy accessories.....

Please help!!!!!!!

itstheyearzero Wed 16-Nov-16 12:32:56

Oooh you should have a look at Nancy Mac. Stunning silk dresses and some on sale...
www.nancymac.co.uk/

slug Wed 16-Nov-16 13:47:10

Over budget but...sigh

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Wed 16-Nov-16 15:14:01

Try Lady V

steppemum Wed 16-Nov-16 15:21:59

I think the red polka dot one is lovely, and very flattering

vintagechick43 Wed 16-Nov-16 15:26:52

Pretty kitty fashion has some beautiful dresses to suit all budgets, sorry can't do links ! I think you just need to take the plunge and order to see what the quality is like, you can always send back if no good.

hollinhurst84 Wed 16-Nov-16 16:13:32

I'm 5ft 10 and K cup - let me find some pics as I have a few of those dressss

hollinhurst84 Wed 16-Nov-16 16:16:15

In order
Purple spot lady volup Isabella
Collectif dolores doll
Lady volup Lyra

MrsJamin Wed 16-Nov-16 21:10:49

Try Get Cutie, my favourite dress for weddings is from there, fun bold prints and fit to your cup size too. Watch the sizing though as the material is non-stretchy cotton.

UnGoogleable Wed 16-Nov-16 23:36:23

Oh thank you all, you lifesavers!

Having a browse now.

I've also fallen in love with this one: Nancy Mac Lace Dress but it's rather expensive and I'm not sure it would flatter my colouring or my curves.

Thatwaslulu Wed 16-Nov-16 23:41:41

What about a Lindy Bop Lana or Daria? I must have about 30 LB dresses (don't like the booby ones much either). Hell Bunny or Scarlett and Jo have some nice frocks, and Daisy Mae Boutique in Coleraine have an online shop and have lots of different brands (plus Marianne is a lovely person to do business with).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now