I hate fancy dress, I'm old and size 16
They are all young and pert and I will look ridiculous
I have no clue what to go as

Boolovessulley Sat 15-Oct-16 07:20:48

Is there a theme?

pleasestopsnoring Sat 15-Oct-16 07:40:56

Think it's just Halloween

Geillis Sat 15-Oct-16 07:50:44

I wouldn't put myself through the agony of a fancy dress party with 21 year olds. Who's party is it? Can you bow out gracefully or maybe accentuate your age, get a grey wig and a Zimmer frame and go as an old old lady.

Losgunna Sat 15-Oct-16 07:50:48

I feel your pain. A friend of mine is the same age as me (literally less than a week between us) but we behave (and feel I think) as though I'm much older. We're drifting apart a bit because of this tbh.

She has had a fancy dress party for her birthday every year for the last five years. She's slim and beautiful with legs for miles. Im short, fat and bespectacled. I can't even wear contacts.

So instead of going as something sexy I do like the men do, and if it's Halloween go as something actually scary (stitched up ragdoll was a hit and virtually no flesh on show).

It doesn't have to be all devil horns and bunny ears, have fun with it!

Chocolateteabag Sat 15-Oct-16 07:51:19

Morticia Addams? - long black dress with long sleeves make the most of shoulders and cleavage. Long black wig, strong eyes white face, red nails and off you go?

But I agree I hate dress up

AbBanana Sat 15-Oct-16 07:56:55

Pinterest clever diy Halloween costumes for ideas. At 21, they won't bother as much and won't have the £££ to put together a great costume. Or rent something spectacular, like an old period costume. I've always wanted to visit the National Theatre in London and their costume & props hire department. Those corsets do wondrous things.

Losgunna Sat 15-Oct-16 08:00:44

A friend of mine who was a size 18 at the time so bigger than you went as Ursula from the little mermaid once for Halloween. She didn't look pretty exactly but she did look amazing, and really showed up the skinny little totty wearing a red bra a green skirt dressed as Ariel as she wasn't scary and my friend was iyswim. Wish I could post a picture! (But won't as not of me)

pleasestopsnoring Sat 15-Oct-16 08:04:55

It's my niece and she loves a Halloween costume, make up, contacts the works

Just spotted a pink ladies costume on amazon, I could do a dead pink lady?
Black trousers, flats or heels, pink jacket, pony tail, then really go for it with the makeup?

SpiritedLondon Sat 15-Oct-16 08:43:59

Ok I'm keen on fancy dress and am a size 16. I can't stand the whole "sexy" thing that some women go for and instead would go for a proper scary character. I've just found out that I might need to dress up for trick or treating and was thinking of recycling a costume I already have and making it a zombie. So in my case I will be a zombie nun ( which I wore when massively pregnant to a New Years party) and DH can be a zombie Bishop. If DD 4 tries to do the whole princess thing I'm going to zombie her too.....zombie Elsa! I think you could do the look with normal make up if you've got dark eye shadow but you might want to buy fake blood. Other than that check out other costume ideas on Pinterest. TBH I would probably enjoy the costume bit more than the party!!

Boolovessulley Sun 16-Oct-16 15:14:32

Why don't you go as Elle from Scarier Things.
Google it
Night shirt and wires on your head. Dead easy.

usernumber007 Sun 16-Oct-16 15:47:27

I'd just get a dress from lindybop, Vivian of Holloway, or similar, then do my hair and make up like a Mexican skeleton, google day of the dead for ideas. Simple, effective, and you can wear the dress afterwards

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now