navy or purple?

(23 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Thu 13-Oct-16 15:20:27

purple mac
classic navy
Ordered both and can't choose.
How versatile do people find a mac like this to be? How many months out of the year do you get before its just too cold. These are good thick cotton btw. Wondering whether to invest in wool peacoat for winter months, in which case would there be any point in having a navy mac as well?

rightknockered Thu 13-Oct-16 16:19:44

I like the navy mac.
I wore my tan coloured one today and did feel the cold, have to admit. You might be better off with a pea coat

burnishedsilver Thu 13-Oct-16 17:27:20

I vote navy.

Rudymentary Thu 13-Oct-16 17:28:57

Navy

..... and I'm someone who loves purple

SansasEscape Thu 13-Oct-16 17:30:11

Navy is almost always the more chic option in my world smile

leaveittothediva Thu 13-Oct-16 17:33:31

Definitely Navy. It's classy.

MightyMunki Thu 13-Oct-16 17:56:56

Another vote for navy, simple and elegant. I love a good Mac, awesomely versatile, and you'll use it at the very least for two seasons out of the year, autumn and spring.

I'm not a big fan of heavier coats myself, I tend to layer up with a thick scarf/gloves/hat if it gets a bit colder.

DoYouRememberJustinBobby Thu 13-Oct-16 18:00:00

Navy all the way. Understated, chic, classic. You would get years of wear out of it compared to the purple one which is nice enough but not in the same league as the navy one.

keeponkeepinon Thu 13-Oct-16 19:24:55

OK so if it was really super cold and the daytime I'd wear my warm practical winter jacket. But something smarter for going out in the evening when it's cold? Layer up with a scarf and boots and go with the mac?
I'll fess up, I got the purple one in the sale and while ago wanted the navy but it wasn't in the sale and actually like the purple, it's not quite as bright as in the pic though it does sometimes feel a bit 'loud' and doesn't always mix in with what I'm wearing so i haven't worn it as much as I should. I was even contemplating whether it could be dyed navy. I spotted the same jacket in navy come up in the hobbs sale and grabbed the last one in my size. It was a bargain. I think it was 15% off sale price. It feels like a jacket to be kept for years and years, but a bit wasteful as I've already got the purple one! Plus I really need something warm and smart for nights out which is where the wool peacoat comes in. I wonder if I could keep reasonably warm in the mac - its usually just pub hopping and never more than probably 20 mins walk. Scarf and navy/purple mac? Or warm wool chunky peacoat? Must admit the mac is nice and tailored and sleek.

flirtygirl Thu 13-Oct-16 23:05:46

Both as navy is very chic but purple is stunning.

Iambubbles86 Thu 13-Oct-16 23:09:38

I thought the purple was lovely at first but the more I look at it the more I think the buttons make it look cheap. Go with navy

Greenifer Thu 13-Oct-16 23:49:46

Navy. Agree about the buttons, they are horrible. Nice colour of purple, though.

Floisme Fri 14-Oct-16 09:32:07

It just depends on which colour suits you best. I wear loads of purple but I've seen that shade in Hobbs and it's too bright for me. But I don't suit a lot of navy either so if it was me, I might end up with neither!

I don't find macs that versatile either. I bought one a few years ago (grey - perfect smile) thinking I would wear it loads but it doesn't keep me warm or dry which is a priority as I walk to work. So however nice it may look on, it's mostly useless apart from the odd spring day.

keeponkeepinon Fri 14-Oct-16 09:58:13

If I kept both then one of them will most likely sit unused. I mean, who needs two macs? If I hadn't already bought the purple I'd be keeping the more sensible navy. Like I said, I had wondered if I could dye the purple to navy. I'm not sure if it has a coating on the fabric though as rain did seem to bead up a bit on it.
But then again the purple is stunning. I just don't want to waste money yet if I send the navy back i might regret it - it was the last one!

Floisme Fri 14-Oct-16 10:19:50

If the purple suits you I'd keep it. I wouldn't risk dyeing it because you might find that the fabric takes the dye but not the stitching and button holes as they're probably not cotton.

keeponkeepinon Fri 14-Oct-16 10:34:08

I think I'd be taking a risk dyeing it, you're right flo.
I think the purple suits ok, I just feel a bit loud in it. I probably wouldn't wear it to work for instance.
It's more a case of whether it's worth keeping a second mac in navy or if it's a waste of money. Or get a warmer smart wool coat perhaps for the colder months.

Floisme Fri 14-Oct-16 10:44:58

Hmm... in that case, I'm going to switch! Navy if it suits you. (I say that because some navy looks nearly as bad on me as black.) There's no point in having a coat you're not going to wear. Personally I wouldn't keep them both as I barely wear the one I've got (which I like). But it does depend a lot on where you live and how you get to work etc.

keeponkeepinon Fri 14-Oct-16 10:52:23

Thanks flo, like I say, I already bought the purple one some time ago so couldn't return it. I preferred the navy then really but the purple was in the sale and I wanted a smart jacket. I should have just waited!
Only option would be to ebay the purple really.
Now it's cold I tend to wear a proper warm school run coat for work anyway. It's smart enough for work but not dressy for going out.

Floisme Fri 14-Oct-16 11:25:14

Ah sorry, I had it in my head you'd only recently bought them both.

So really, the purple has turned out to be a bit of mistake but it's too late to return it, so the dilemma is whether to spend more money fixing the mistake and write off or ebay the purple one? But is it worth doing that if you're not going to get that much wear out of a mac anyway? Ouff my brain hurts now grin

Ok my personal verdict: macs are overrated. They may look good but they're not very useful and the only way I'll be buying another is if I ever find one that's stylish, waterproof(ish) and has a hood. But that's just me and my life; other posters may find them really versatile.

keeponkeepinon Fri 14-Oct-16 11:36:43

Thanks flo you've been very helpful flowers I'm going to try on the purple mac later and see how I feel in it. That shade of purple is one of my favourites. It does seem daft to fork out for another jacket but I was thinking it's a classic in navy.
Do I want safe jacket or daring jacket?!grin

keeponkeepinon Fri 14-Oct-16 12:22:07

Oh and now I'm wondering about the buttons...I'd never even notice the buttons before!

keeponkeepinon Fri 14-Oct-16 17:58:21

You know what? I'm keeping the purple. I've all the time in the world to wear classic navy and it's not like there'll ever be a time you just can't buy a navy mac. And I don't think it would come out of the wardrobe very often, I don't really dress formally most of the time.
I'm going for the fun striking option! and spend the money on some beautiful boots I'll wear practically every day
Thanks for listening to my whinnying! flowerswine

keeponkeepinon Fri 14-Oct-16 19:29:37

The purple actually suits me better because it's a warmer jewel colour. And the navy attracts fluff like I don't know what!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now