Work trousers for fat hourglass!

(19 Posts)
ThornyBird Wed 12-Oct-16 21:01:28

I started work in a new job on Monday. Dress code is smart.

I have never had to dress smart before so assume leggings and dresses/tunic tops are out as they are more smart/casual.

I've worn dresses and tights so far but notice most of the other women are wearing trousers and shirts. I have never worn smart work trousers do really don't know where to start.

I am currently a size 20, 5ft10 pear/hour glass. My biggest problem are my saddlebag thighs - to get jeans to fit they normally gape at the waist. For this reason I prefer high waists as they don't seem to fall down as much!

I have 2 tunics/short dresses that have blue in them so I was thinking of getting some tapered leg trousers to replace the leggings I would normally wear under. Do you think that could work? If so, where should I be looking to buy please?

AnotherEmma Wed 12-Oct-16 21:07:36

I'm a pear/hourglass shape and always have a nightmare finding trousers that fit. My best recent purchase was a pair of chinos from Next - they're a bit stretchy and they accommodate bum and thighs without gaping around the waist. They're comfy but also smart enough for work if you wear them with a shirt or a smart top.

The sizing seems to be more generous than other shops (for the chinos anyway) so that's gratifying too wink

ThornyBird Wed 12-Oct-16 21:28:25

That sounds promising, I always forget about Next! Thanks smile

wowwee123 Wed 12-Oct-16 21:29:46

marks and spencer do some lovely jersey wide leg trousers. soooo comfy and last forever too.

ThornyBird Wed 12-Oct-16 21:36:51

I did have a look round M&S but every pair I liked only went up to an 18 in long and past experience had taught me I need a long in M&S sad

idontlikealdi Wed 12-Oct-16 21:38:21

What about a skirt instead of trousers? Wouldn't work with the tunics but with a top instead? Skirts are much more flattering IMO and fit better.

ThornyBird Wed 12-Oct-16 21:43:57

I gave up on skirts as I found it tricky to get long enough tops - but then I was looking more at t-shirts - skirts also fall down leaving an attractive gap between top and skirt blush

I may just explore the world of tights in more depth grin

bingohandjob Wed 12-Oct-16 21:54:30

Try ASOS curve peg trousers. If you can, order a few styles/sizes to find your fit. If you use promo code HEYMYSIZE it was knocking 20% off curve items.

ThornyBird Wed 12-Oct-16 21:55:34

Will have a look now. Thank you smile

travailtotravel Wed 12-Oct-16 22:00:28

I have a stalwart pair from M&S (check online rather than in store). I am worried your tunics won't be smart enough though - have you cruised past the new work place to suss out what everyone else is wearing?

wowwee123 Wed 12-Oct-16 22:02:06

could be worth trying the 18 in m&s as they have a lot of give.

StrawberryLeaf Wed 12-Oct-16 22:03:52

Boden trousers are lovely. Great quality and fit, I currently have a few of the Richmond ones.

Good luck with the new job smile

ThornyBird Wed 12-Oct-16 22:22:18

travail I already started, 3 days in and have met everyone in both offices now so have had a chance to check out what is worn - all women in trousers and blouses/shirts/smart tops.

I have worn a different dress each day but the offices are cold and I am not enjoying tights grin.

The tunics I have are actually dresses but because I am tall, busty and arsey, they come up shorter than I am comfortable enough to wear with tights. A couple of inches above the knee type length. Perfect with a pair of thick, no knicker flashing leggings wink

ThornyBird Wed 12-Oct-16 22:25:31

wow I will give it a go but I have found over the past few years that I the wrong shape for M&S.

strawberry 2 of my dresses have been Boden. I never thought to try their trousers. And thank you, it seems to be going well so far. It's my first full time job since before dc1 was born 15 years ago shock

AnotherEmma Wed 12-Oct-16 22:45:32

I also found Zalando chinos are a good fit, great value and they come in 5 colours!

AnotherEmma Wed 12-Oct-16 22:50:02

Sorry, those chinos might not go up to your size, but they do have curvy chinos - only problem is that they're beige (I avoid pale trousers like the plague!)

polyhymnia Wed 12-Oct-16 22:52:22

Definitely recommend Boden trousers and dresses. Always possible to buy with a discount usually 20%.

ThornyBird Sat 15-Oct-16 13:21:30

Ok, just doing my Next order then will continue onto Boden. Had a look at Asos but not sure they'll be long enough so will go back to them if no joy. Had a mooch round M&S yesterday quickly and ours had no work type trousers bigger than a size 16 angry

ThornyBird Tue 25-Oct-16 16:28:49

First 2 pairs of trousers are in!

Next - a pair of navy slouch trousers that look like crap on so are going back and a lovely pair of linen chinos that are no good for work but very comfy!

Still awaiting delivery/collection - 2 pairs of Next chinos (they went out of stock) and a pair of the Boden Richmond trousers (I waited for the 25% off sale).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now