I've just done my first dermaroller!

(20 Posts)
ChickenVindaloo Wed 12-Oct-16 17:52:45

Hello people!

Got my 0.5 dermaroller off amazon and am now in for the night. So I did my first session! It was a wee bit prickly. My face has gone quite red and is a bit swollen. I have massaged in my vitamin C serum (which smells bloody vile btw!) and am now expectantly looking in the mirror awaiting the moment when I become gorgeous!! Just thought I would share this moment with you!

Here is the dermaroller:
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00L63C4CM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And here is the serum (although I don't like the smell, it is 20% vitamin c and seems good quality plus I don't like the smell of loccitane almond shower oil when everyone else (weirdos!) does.
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01C1TWUSC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

AyeAmarok Wed 12-Oct-16 17:55:17

Ooooh, is this one of those things that causes some sort of minor trauma to the skin, which means your body increases the blood flow to the area to heal it, which hopefully then makes your skin better, or something like that?

I've always wondered if they work!

ChickenVindaloo Wed 12-Oct-16 17:58:33

Here is my wee red face! I'm 33 btw.

ChickenVindaloo Wed 12-Oct-16 18:43:35

Hi Aye!

Yes, it makes tiny holes all over your skin and is apparently good for 2 reasons:
1) it makes any product you apply afterwards work better
2) your skin starts making more collagen to rebuild itself.

I have been really paying attention to my skin in the last couple of months - have been using retin-a and acid toners. It's making a huge difference!

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 12-Oct-16 19:37:56

Damaged skin like that makes scar tissue, it's inflexible and will age you.

ChickenVindaloo Wed 12-Oct-16 19:48:56

Fluffy, you better tell that to all the dermatologists then, eg my favourite Dr Sam Bunting! It actually does the opposite - it gets rid of scars and stretch marks.

Colette Wed 12-Oct-16 20:03:02

Chicken- what retain_a product did you use ? V interested but wondering about sensitivity ( bit older than you envytoo)

TheForeignOffice Wed 12-Oct-16 20:15:52

chicken congratulations! I've dermarolled for years and was a happy early adopter of the Derminator (not affiliated in any way, but a repeat happy customer of owndoc). If you get into needling then please google for reviews and consider getting one of these. shop.owndoc.com/product-info.php?Derminator-pid256.html. as they are absolutely fabulous.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 12-Oct-16 20:26:15

When you break the skin you get scar tissue. The body doesn't bother rebuilding epidermis, it lays down disposable tissue that rebuilds quickly in high traffic areas like the mouth and chucks scar tissue everywhere else.

It just sounds like it's a good idea because no one looks beyond the advertising blurb.

Not all Drs are ethical, and the cosmetic industry isn't regulated very well. COD science. Like skin & nails breathing.

Retin A cream & wearing sunblock every single day prevents aging, but that's boring & takes years whereas derma rollers come through the post and give "results" straightaway.

www.carolinehirons.com/2015/05/meeting-paula-begoun.html

Your poor face looks so red. Inflammations a sign things ain't right.

ChickenVindaloo Wed 12-Oct-16 20:37:14

Caroline Hirons is wrong on quite a few points about skincare I'm afraid, not just dermarolling. She is wrong about facial oils as well and recommends loads of pricey products which do bugger all.

I prefer to take my advice from medically qualified people:
drsambunting.wordpress.com/tag/dermaroller/

Collette - I get my retinA from my GP on the NHS because I have had acne grin you can get it on a private prescription too.

TheForeignOffice Wed 12-Oct-16 21:03:38

Fluffy you can easily review the considerable research of drs setterfield and fernandes for medical and scientific info...the dermatology community embraced this over a decade ago.

Caroline writes entertaining posts but she's hardly a medic and I'd question her financial interests as well as her ability to genuinely review a bazillion products for even basic efficacy before she endorses them

ChickenVindaloo Wed 12-Oct-16 21:07:48

I'm disappointed in Paula tbh because I do rate her for AHA/BHA products. Mind you, she does sell retinol products which are essentially homeopathic.

ChickenVindaloo Wed 12-Oct-16 21:09:04

And yes, Caroline has, I assume, only one face so I really don't understand how she can personally test so many products.

TheForeignOffice Wed 12-Oct-16 21:12:48

Colette if you're sensitive, the cream base may suit you better than the gel. If you're very sensitive, you are best off starting with "micro" cream (micro encapsulated). There are ways to apply eg contact therapy (rinse off after an hour) or simply mixing 50/50 with a moisturizer (dilution) so that sensitive skins can start very gently and move up very slowly. If you do this with patience and sunscreen in the day then definitely worth a go. My skin is not sensitive and I built my dose up over about 9 months!

ChickenVindaloo Wed 12-Oct-16 21:16:46

I suppose dermarolling is a bit like taking your face to the gym. There, you make micro-tears in your muscles and, when your body heals, it gets stronger. Similar happens with bone.

The body is actually amazing!

TheForeignOffice Wed 12-Oct-16 21:26:40

This is a really good guide from Owndoc if you're starting on a programme of rolling. Veryy important to match skin goal to needle length with frequency for best results. It's a PDF download and definitely worth a detailed read for anyone starting out.

www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://dermaroller.owndoc.com/dermaroller-instructions.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwj6-Z7vi9bPAhUCHxoKHTGXAXwQFggcMAA&usg=AFQjCNHAfilwtJBPRAp3pDC3tGMBagOUWQ&sig2=rnD__kbvV1hGysLPjAQIJA

ChickenVindaloo Wed 12-Oct-16 21:28:46

Thanks Foreign!

Colette Fri 14-Oct-16 23:06:19

thanks chicken and foreign.
Where did you buy the cream based retinol foreign ? Were the results good for fine lines? Has anyone combined wth dermarolling ?

ChickenVindaloo Mon 17-Oct-16 13:47:14

I've PM'd you, Colette.

I didn't actually have any fine lines, so it's more of a prevention thing.
Yes, I am doing dermaroller as well. I only do dermaroller once a week and I don't use retin-a that day, or the next day if I am still red.

You're doing all the right things tho, I'm sure you'll look gorgeous!

(Also consider AHA/BHA acid toners, I'm a bit obsessed with them at the mo, there's lots of threads on here about them. Try pixi glow tonic for AHA - good for fine lines and Paula's Choice 2per cent for BHA - which cleans out pores)

YerTiz Wed 26-Oct-16 10:28:41

How're you finding it ChickenVindaloo? I've just ordered one! (Eep!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now