Anyone up for a pregnancy style thread?

(16 Posts)
everdene Mon 10-Oct-16 18:00:43

I'm 14 weeks pregnant and my bump is starting to show.

On going around the usual maternity collections, I have found an abundance of bland colours, 70s smocks and dull patterns.

Am I the only one who doesn't necessarily want to wear spotty wrap dresses for the next six months?

If not, join me here!

Today's outfit is black skinny Topshop jeans, a charcoal oversize woolly shirtsleeve v-neck and a grey American Apparel t-shirt with charcoal ankle boots. Jewellery-wise just a simple gold necklace with a diamond.

Any more for any more?

everdene Mon 10-Oct-16 20:09:30

Bump wink for the evening crowd!

pinkywink Mon 10-Oct-16 20:13:44

Following as feeling despair at maternity clothes I've seen so far!
Only 11 weeks and not showing yet but I'm carrying more weight than I'd like anyway so feeling a bit self conscious at my normal clothes starting to strain confused

GreyBird84 Mon 10-Oct-16 21:43:15

Yep. 8 weeks but look more like 4 months.
Have been eyeing up a pair of DP maternity black skinnies with ripped knees but want a discount code!

ImYourWomanJonSnow Mon 10-Oct-16 21:54:54

Yup I'm in.
The usual advice of looking at Pinterest for inspiration sadly returns dire results (for me at least, not up for wearing a bodycon dress and heels thank you very much).

Only 7 weeks today so it's only about hiding the bloat for me at this stage. Today I wore high waist slim pale denim jeans and a rust lambswool jumper.

pastabest Mon 10-Oct-16 21:57:27

Yep what is it about pregnancy that makes retailers think floaty and flowers? I just want normal clothes with a bit more give in the right places!

I've stocked up on normal long vest tops from Sainsburys and New Look and just wear them under normal jumpers and cardigans at the moment. I've bought four pairs of maternity jeans from New Look and ASOS (I've had to go down a size from my normal size in the New Look ones they are huge!)I also have a few nice cheapo plain black/blue maternity dresses from ASOS.

So far I am getting by with that (24 weeks) but definitely starting to struggle to do up zips on my coats comfortably and wondering what I'm going to do when it gets a lot colder.

Biggest disasters so far have been maternity tights and leggings. They just won't stay up! Perhaps they will fit better when the bump gets bigger? A friend recommended normal M&S leggings as they apparently have a wide comfy waistband but not got round to getting any yet.

pastabest Mon 10-Oct-16 22:00:11

Also doesn't help that the current fashion seems to be for jumpers and tops that rise further at the front than the back... Not really ideal for my current shape!

everdene Mon 10-Oct-16 22:04:11

My people! grin

I am at a total loss as to where to get style ideas, but I'm going to try to stick to a palette of colours to keep everything looking neat.

There are some good ideas on Buzzfeed but I feel like pioneers of pregnancy fashion are few and far between!

I liked some of these looks: ((https://www.buzzfeed.com/alisoncaporimo/up-their-maternity-style?utm_term=.ajPXedEry3#.vworjoz5AL)) (sorry for untidy link, i'm on the app) - can't quite see myself wearing a blazer with my hands over my swollen boobs, though! wink

ImYourWomanJonSnow Mon 10-Oct-16 22:13:31

This is NOT what I aspire to www.barefootblonde.com/2015/08/date-night/

Bubbinsmakesthree Tue 11-Oct-16 09:39:21

Loose boxy tops over skinny jeans are a staple look for me and one that should see me right through pregnancy. Have yet to get my maternity clothes out of storage and assess what I've got - I was a bit more into colour three years ago so not sure I am going to be feeling enamoured with everything. I had a bright pink dress last time (I called it my 'Mr Greedy' dress as it made me the exact shape and colour of the Mr Man!) which got loads of compliments but I can't imagine wearing bright pink now. Perhaps the difference was that I was heavily pregnant in mid summer last time whilst this time will be winter/spring.

everdene Tue 11-Oct-16 22:41:42

JonSnow that outfit looks soooo uncomfortable!!

Bubbins where do you get good boxy tops from? Cos?

ImYourWomanJonSnow Wed 12-Oct-16 14:05:58

At work today, wearing a jersey midi slim-fitting skirt with side slit, some smart loafers and a shortish wide grey jumper. I think this will be my dressing template for the time being, hiding my tummy, and the stretchiness makes it more comfy.

Cos and Toast served me well during last pregnancy too, I got a lot of stuff off Ebay cheaply so I'll be checking them out as I get bigger.

ImYourWomanJonSnow Fri 14-Oct-16 13:41:05

Where IS everyone?

1frenchfoodie Fri 14-Oct-16 17:38:46

I know what you mean ever most maternity ranges have a strange aesthetic. I bought 1 item of maternity clothing when pregnant with DD (now 6 months) - h&m skinny jeans. I liked over bump but I am somebody who is ovten cold and loved the extra layer. I got a few non maternity stretchy knit/ jersey skirts for work (h&m, White Stuff though Fatface anf Phase Eight had some too). I also hunted down a couple of wrap dresses for more formal stuff (inc a wedding at 38wks) and found loads of boxy high st tops fit fine without even changing size. Uniqulo heatech long sleeve scoop necks were a good base layer.

everdene Fri 14-Oct-16 21:43:03

French I'm going to get some H&M over bump jeans this weekend!

Also I have a wedding in a few weeks and don't have a clue what to wear, it seems a bit pointless to buy a smart dress I'll realistically probably only get a few wears out of, but then maybe if I did have something elegant I'd feel good over Christmas/ further parties.

The nice maternity dresses I've seen in most shops are jersey, more like with dresses than smart ones.

Bubbinsmakesthree Sat 15-Oct-16 05:20:58

everdene have you checked out the maternity range at ASOS for dresses? They've got a very extensive collection. Sale on at the moment, I was just having a quick browse - would sonething like this:

www.asos.com/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=6490860

Or this:

www.asos.com/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=5888787

...work for you? They've got literally hundreds of options though.

Perhaps not this one unless 'giant jellyfish' is a look you're going for confused :

www.asos.com/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=6533750

Only thing I would say though is it took me a good while last time to have a big enough bump for a lot of maternity dresses to not look baggy, so unless you really pop in the next few weeks you might be better with a non-maternity style that's forgiving on the tum. Are you trying to embrace or hide the little bump at the moment?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now