Temperature to start and stop wearing leather jackets?

(11 Posts)
CoolToned Sun 09-Oct-16 13:11:45

Usually, it's worn during autumn and spring but when do you start/stop?

SesameSparkle Mon 10-Oct-16 21:26:46

I've been trying to layer my jacket with a big scarf over, but it suddenly feels too cold now - I think I shall have to switch to a winter coat. How can I extend the season for jacket wearing? Is there something else I could be wearing with it?

WhooooAmI24601 Mon 10-Oct-16 21:44:06

I wear mine all year round. Mainly with chunky scarves and chunky knits at this time of year, with thin knits in spring. Never too early or late for leather jackets.

Really thin layers of thermals/knits are lovely with leather I think. John Lewis do some good ones.

Judydreamsofhorses Mon 10-Oct-16 22:25:57

Jumper and big blanket scarf in Autumn and winter - I wear Uniqlo heat-tech long sleeved tops underneath the jumpers. I wear mine more when it's dry and windy at this time of year, but also over light dresses in summer.

Floisme Mon 10-Oct-16 22:28:47

Start?? I've already stopped. But then I have a new coat that I just couldn't wait to wear smile

PNGirl Tue 11-Oct-16 10:04:04

I don't think you stop in winter unless it's wet, do you? Mine will be out all winter but I'll just wear a jumper underneath instead of a t-shirt.

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Tue 11-Oct-16 13:15:52

I wear mine when I'm going out but won't be outside long. Or shopping in the town centre which is uncovered, but where I'll get too hot in shops and stay warm by walking. I wear a nice big scarf to compensate.

I do have a proper winter coat but don't think I'll be wearing it for a while.

UsernamesAreAPainInTheBalls Tue 11-Oct-16 13:24:46

I wear mine with a (faux) fur gilet over it so it feels like a coat but then you can take the gilet off in the car or whatever
I never seem to find winter coats that I like so this does the job I didn't bother buying a winter coat last year just got a black and a grey gilet and then hats and gloves to match and they went with everything

vitaminC Tue 11-Oct-16 14:41:56

I would say I wear mine when the temperature is between 5 and 15 degrees.
Below 5 I need a proper coat à over 15 I tend to wear blazers.

At the lower end of the range, I do sometimes add a cashmere hoody under my leather jacket.

SesameSparkle Tue 11-Oct-16 19:03:51

You lot sound a very hardy bunch then. I bought my jacket on the small side, thinking it would probably stretch out a little and I might lose another 3-4lb. So I can only currently get a thin woolly underneath, and with too many bits left uncovered it doesn't seem to be enough to face the plummeting temperatures. I reckon I could probably still wear it for a few hours pootling round the shops on a Saturday afternoon, but it's not doing the job of keeping out the cold for my daily commute. I'm intrigued by those who layer over the top though. Has anyone got any ideas or links to pics for how to style a jacket this way?

maggiethemagpie Tue 11-Oct-16 20:09:03

The leather jacket season is always unfeasibly short in my view. It's a hard one to get the right temperature for, there is a tiny window around now when it works, but soon it will be winter coat time. On the plus side this means the jacket I bought in 2009 is still going strong. But alas I was slimmer then, which means I can't wear a big thick woolly underneath it which further reduces the 'leather jacket window'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now