What's a "posh frock"?

(6 Posts)
gemandjule Fri 07-Oct-16 17:23:13

I've been invited to a party for a significant decade birthday. Party is at 4pm to 7.30 so funny time. Doesn't seem to be with day or evening. Any this is an exact quote of the dress code. I don't own a frock of any description, posh or otherwise, and have absolutely no interest in buying something to wear once so plan on wearing a pair of silk ankle grazing narrow leg trousers in silver with a dressy black top but curious to know what everyone else would wear.

wowfudge Fri 07-Oct-16 22:11:02

Cocktail dress? It's not helpful - could be a ballgown, full length evening dress, cocktail dress, etc. People will interpret it differently. Your outfit sounds lovely.

OhTheRoses Fri 07-Oct-16 22:14:29

To me something you would wear to the opera, a garden party, Glyndebourne. I'd wear what you are wearing.

SaggyNaggy Fri 07-Oct-16 22:17:23

Isn't it the female version of "Black Tie"?
Men in tuxedos and looking very much like a lounge bar piano player, ladies wearing swishy long dresses with understated jewellry and a bolero etc.
I dunno, I wore Levis I'd feel posh, stick to me F&Fs. grin

gemandjule Fri 07-Oct-16 22:30:59

I was right about one thing, I don't own anything close to the dresses listed above!
Seems as though ye think what I'm planning to wear sounds okay. I actually had visions of being turned away for not meeting the dress code! I actually like clothes and have some nice things but I have no use at all for formal dresses and would feel completely ridiculous in one and so really don't want to spend money on something I won't enjoy wearing. Hopefully won't get bounced!

leadrightfoot Sat 08-Oct-16 07:26:24

I attended a similar event (significant birthday later afternoon shindig same wording slightly later in year but not much) I wore full length silk skirt with fine knit top and boots. So many compliments on it! I think your choice is spot on enjoy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now