Phillips Lumea - any way of knowing if the thing will work on me before forking out for one?

(13 Posts)
Bitzer Wed 05-Oct-16 11:55:13

Thinking of investing in one of these, with help from my tesco reward points. Have fair skin and a mixture of dark and blonde hair. thing is, I have a slightly red hair, in places so I'm not sure if that will prevent it working i.e the weird random facial hairs I've started getting look pretty dark to me but it's possible there's some red pigment in them so would that stop the thing working? Don't want to find out after I've spent all that money. Also, any honest reviews about how you've found it would be much appreciated.

Ta

ageingrunner Wed 05-Oct-16 12:00:46

There's a skin/hair colour chart on their website which shows whether it will work for you

Bitzer Wed 05-Oct-16 12:06:55

THanks ageingrunner had a look and it is helpful, the only thing is none of my hair is as red as indicated in the chart but I think the dark hair may have some red pigment IYSWIM - I will contact them and ask but just wondered if anyone had any personal experience

MathsFiend Wed 05-Oct-16 14:37:18

Hi, I've got it and in theory should be perfect. White skin but dark hairs. But it has been totally shite. Have given up after a year's use made negligible difference.

youlittlecharmer Wed 05-Oct-16 16:00:22

I bought one and sold it 6 months later (for half the price, grr). I'm similar colouring to you - fair skin, dark blonde head hair and a mix of fair and very dark body/facial hair. Gave it a good go and followed instructions to a T but it didn't make much difference, so I decided I'd rather have the cash. If you've any doubts I wouldn't bother.

Stardustlady Wed 05-Oct-16 16:07:31

Same here, years use has made small difference, leg hair bit finer and slower regrowth but pretty negligible results. Fair skin with dark hair here.

megletthesecond Wed 05-Oct-16 16:11:23

I've wondered this too. 25yrs of waxing hasn't really killed it. Neither did several electrolysis sessions. I have terminator hair. Not sure a lumea would do much damage.

Bitzer Wed 05-Oct-16 17:41:34

Meh, that's all a bit depressing. Was really hoping it would be the magic bullet

WineSpider Wed 05-Oct-16 17:49:19

Try this...

[http://m.boots.com/h5/cat_hub?unCountry=uk&path=%2Fen%2Filuminage-Precise-Touch-Permanent-Hair-Reduction-System_1711493%2F#]

Bitzer Wed 05-Oct-16 17:52:44

Thanks winespider that does look good - have you tried it?

WineSpider Wed 05-Oct-16 21:06:47

Yes, i would say it's not an instant miracle but does seem to be helping. Gets v positive reviews and got a great write up by india knight in the times style mag.

If this doesn't work then i will look into electrolysis. Life is too short to spend so long plucking chin fuzz....

Bitzer Wed 05-Oct-16 22:24:08

Hmm, ok that's encouraging... thanks for the tip smile

Bitzer Wed 05-Oct-16 22:26:14

BTW I tried electrolysis, felt it caused quite a lot of skin pitting, was painful, expensive and definitely not even close to being permanent.

But I too am sick of fiddling around each day with chin fuzz

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now