I need a hair intervention!

(23 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Wed 05-Oct-16 10:43:09

Last time I went to the hairdresser's I asked for it cut blunt, on a slight angle from back to front though not a full on graduated bob just below jaw length. I decided to grow out my full fringe for a side parting but it all just looks terrible now. It hangs limp and flat and looks so drab.
I need help but just don't know what to ask for or products to go for. I can never get the tousled look to work on me and I don't have much time to spend on myself in the morning. I'm a BB cream, blush, mascara and go kind of person.
Hair type is very fine, gets oily really quickly, quite straight, tough to hold a curl. I'm not exactly an expert with hair tools either. Face shape is quite round.
I can't put pics on sorry.
Can anyone help me not feel so drab? It's really getting me down at the mo.

Jmangel Wed 05-Oct-16 11:32:34

What about a bit of sea salt spray to add tousle and dry shampoo at roots to add oomph?
Are you saying that the cut has grown out? Were you happy with it when it was first done by the hairdresser and if so, how did they style it?
Or the Babyliss rotating hair styler could add more oomph and body too.

Jmangel Wed 05-Oct-16 11:45:19

Also potentially a blunt cut might encourage it to lie flat and limp - maybe asking for tapered/layered ends might encourage more movement?

keeponkeepinon Wed 05-Oct-16 12:17:14

Salt spray and scrunching just makes it look worse. Really quite gammy. Not beachy waves like the ads tell you.
The cut is OK, iT just looks drab and boring. I think it is all about volume really. If I could get lasting volume in then it would be better.
I'm not keen on dry sprays like batiste I hate the way it feels. Are there any really really good products for volume out there. I would be prepared to invest in an amazing product

keeponkeepinon Wed 05-Oct-16 12:19:04

I also don't know whether to go back to the full blunt rounded fringe I had or try and grow it out and to the side. But then it falls into a natural parting and sits incredibly flat. Just looks wrong on me.

Fuzzypeggy Wed 05-Oct-16 12:21:03

Totally off topic op but did you find a coat you liked in the end?

Fuzzypeggy Wed 05-Oct-16 12:22:09

By the way, I've found that if I wash my hair at night and go to bed with it damp, it has much more volume and movement in the morning. Perhaps wouldn't work for everyone but maybe worth a try

Diddlydokey Wed 05-Oct-16 12:24:51

Use mousse, dry upside down and then smooth with a bit of hairspray and straighteners.

Diddlydokey Wed 05-Oct-16 12:25:30

Also, do a diagonal parting as this naturally give it a bit more oomph at the back.

princessconsuelabannahammock Wed 05-Oct-16 12:46:47

You have my hair! What works for me is a tiny bit of conditioner in the ends only. Then I use queen for a day thickening spray on damp hair - just in the roots. Blast it upside down with a hairdryer.

Then I section it off and use a babyliss big hair styler. My layers flip out at odd angles after a bit so if I am off out I use straightners to tame them but just on the ends.

If I want loads of volume for a rare night out I use got to be styling powder on the roots. It makes your hair sticky but big.

Then use loads of hair spray.

I have to do my hair everyday as because it's so fine and greasy it looks rank ( don't always do this but should), if no time a bit of dry shampoo gets me through the day.

Sounds complicated written down but takes 7 minutes.

keeponkeepinon Wed 05-Oct-16 12:51:52

fuzzy I did in the end, not waterproof more showerproof but from good old sainsbos with 25% off! It just fits me better. And a navy trench/mac I got in the sale. If it fits nice. If it doesn't I'll still be looking for a military style coat. Once I've got coats shoes and hair sorted I am set for the winter!!
Also, I washed my hair and went to bed with it damp last night just combed back (this used to work so well for me when I was young) but it made the most ridiculous curtains and flat as a pancake!
donkey thanks, I just threw out some volumising mousse recently as I felt it made my hair really frizzy weirdly. My hair is never frizzy. And I try diagonal parting but it flips back over to its natural flat side parting! The fringe especially - just ends up one bit dangling in the middle looking confused....

keeponkeepinon Wed 05-Oct-16 12:57:24

Thanks princess! Who makes queen for a day? Bumble? I can do the barrel brush and blow dry but don't have time for it every day. I have wondered about the BBH but don't know if it would add anything. Iso it really that good at adding volume?
If you don't mind me asking, what's your hairstyle? When I blow dry it it looks neat enough but just so....boring and I feel I look older than I am. (I'm Mid thirties). I feel drab and not remotely pretty.

Fuzzypeggy Wed 05-Oct-16 13:13:15

Good news on the coat front, hope you feel more happy with your hair soon

princessconsuelabannahammock Wed 05-Oct-16 13:25:21

Queen for a day is by tigi bedhead, bought off of Amazon about £8 lasts ages. I can't blow dry properly hence the babyliss. It gives me volume and makes it smooth and its quick.

I am 37 and my hair feels middle aged but I am not an on trend kind of person and wouldn't be able to or find the time to style it properly. I used to have a flicky ends style but could never make it look the same two days in a row and that was pre kids so I don't have time now. I have had a variation of this hairstyle since I was 4!

I have no fringe, a side parting and its a bit above jaw lenght and slightly graduated. Blonde highlights. I would love a funky, tousled hair do but it's not me.

My hair feels drab but so does the rest of me so I go for clean and neat. Perhaps it's a perspective thing not a hair thing

Cakescakescakes Wed 05-Oct-16 13:29:34

I hated dry shampoo till I tried the Klorane one with oat milk and it is fantastic. No residue at all once brushed through.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Wed 05-Oct-16 13:32:07

I use a Tresemme hot air styler on a similar cut (I have poker straight flat hair) and it looks great. Loads of lasting volume. I've never had compliments on my hair before I started using this

BipBippadotta Wed 05-Oct-16 13:34:28

Watching with interest as I have exactly this kind of hair and it's made me so despondent that I just haven't cut it in months and it's hanging off my head like a wet lasagna sheet with my ears poking through.

Klorane dry shampoo does sometimes help fluff it up a bit / take the edge off the oiliness without making it too crunchy / powdery, Batiste-style.

keeponkeepinon Wed 05-Oct-16 13:43:57

Full fringe or grow out to side parting? I always seem to come back to full rounded fringe.

crayfish Wed 05-Oct-16 13:45:47

I have almost exactly your hair and your haircut! My hair is actually 'nice' with this haircut for the first time in years. Products I use are Aussie mega shampoo and conditioner and boots volumising mousee (the one in the purple can, it's about £1.50). The mousse was recommended on another forum and it's brilliant, my hair is very fine and limp but this actually gives it some volume and hold and it's so cheap that it's worth a try.

I have finally accepted that the shorter my hair is, within reason, the better it looks so a chin length angled bob with a side fringe is what works best for me. I'm never going to have 'nice' hair, or look like Cheryl Cole but currently my hair looks tidy and styled at least with minimum effort.

crayfish Wed 05-Oct-16 13:47:55

Fringe-wise it depends on your face. I look better with a side-fringe as a full one with a bob can look a bit 'mumsy' on me and I have a big forehead so no fringe doesn't look good either.

PalacePalacePalace Wed 05-Oct-16 14:06:47

I have similar hair. I've found the aveda volume products amazing. Expensive but worth it. I can do a rough dry and the volume is great.

I also have a bbh and find it a bit of a faff to use every day but for special occasions it's good.
I also got balayage colour which has helped give the appearance of depth, volume and movement. Ive got mid brown hair and got some blondey/coppery/auburny color in.
I also got long layers cut in which has made a huge improvement.

I'm in a similar quandry re fringes. Earlier in the year grew out a straight fringe, looked awful - limp etc. Had a side sweeping fringe cut in - looks better but still a bit drab. Considering having rounded full fringe again (even though I know I'll hate it and will want to grow it out in 2 weeks! )

princessconsuelabannahammock Wed 05-Oct-16 14:17:54

I spend my life cutting in and growing out a fringe! When I have one I almost immediately start growing it out, then a year or so later I start thinking about cutting one in. I have a huge forehead! A hairdresser once said when you get older you should have a fringe to distract from wrinkles, I think that time might be now!😮

Aderyn2016 Wed 05-Oct-16 14:26:19

The loreal fibrology volume shampoo has bern eeally good on my fine, flat hair. I am growing out a bob and it has helped give it some oomph.

My best advice is to not just let your hair grow out. Go back to the hair dresser and tell them what your ultimate aim is (take photos) and ask them to cut in a bit of shape to keep your hair looking nice while it grows. It might take a bit longer to get to what you ultimately want but you will loke your hair on the meantime.

My hairdresser was also very good at showing me how to use products and how to blow dry my hair. Tbh I don't always bother but I like knowing I can make it look nice if I try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now