Work shoes - opinions please

(23 Posts)
Wigglinandgigglin Wed 28-Sep-16 09:08:12

Hi,

I'm updating my work wardrobe and looking for new shoes. I have to dress smartly but not corporate smart. I generally wear smart-ish dresses, sometimes pencil skirt and top, never a suit. I do have to walk around a lot, so they need yo be comfy. Any opinions on these?

www.clarks.co.uk/p/26121289

www.clarks.co.uk/p/20346713

The bottom ones also come in patent, which I'm not sure I like.

Petal02 Wed 28-Sep-16 10:15:39

If you're wearing dresses and pencil skirts, I think you'd be fine with the first option. I like the second pair, but not sure if they'd be office-smart with skirts/dresses?

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Wed 28-Sep-16 11:00:39

Personally I'm not a fan of the first pair. A bit too cutesy for me.

I like the brogues and they're more fashionable at the moment. I have these which are a similar shape and they look great with trousers or skirts and are comfy as well.

I have decided I'm not doing heels at all anymore though!

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Wed 28-Sep-16 11:01:26

Oh and my office is smart but not corporate smart as well.

worldsworstchildren Wed 28-Sep-16 11:08:48

I prefer first pair. They are exactly sort of thing I wear for work. I might even get some.
I never wear flats too short and fat so second pair would definitely be out for me.

Jessi79 Wed 28-Sep-16 12:21:33

I have the second pair in patent - bought them 2 years ago and look great (IMO) with opaques and an a line skirt. Have had loads of compliments on them too - just saying....

Pantsalive Wed 28-Sep-16 12:41:34

I'm tempted to combine the two options and find something like this (but cheaper!)

OllyBJolly Wed 28-Sep-16 12:47:09

Thanks for posting this! I've ordered the second pair to wear with a dress for an event I'm speaking at next week.

I do a fair bit of speaking and decided recently to take it seriously and learn how to do it properly. My voice coach says you should wear flat shoes to be able to breathe more effectively and project your voice more. Been on the look out for smart flatties and these are perfect. Thank you!

RaisingSteam Wed 28-Sep-16 13:04:09

Clarks have done a line of lace up heeled brogues as variations of "Ciera" over last few seasons, there are some still around in clearance websites/Brantano. I have a black patent pair and wear them a lot for work. Currently they have a similar one called "tarah Victoria" but it has a more blocky heel.

KanyesVest Wed 28-Sep-16 16:31:13

I just took possession of the hamble oak brogues in aubergine. I luffs them something rotten. They look fantastic with skirts/dresses and opaques or 7/8 trousers.

MoonlightMojitos Wed 28-Sep-16 17:39:33

I have 2 pairs of the Hamble oaks and love them! A black pair and a cream and pale pink pair for summer. Got them last year and still going strong!

FormerlyCatherineDeB Wed 28-Sep-16 17:55:49

I only wear flats OP, brogues, loafers and ballet shoes with up to a 3/4 inch heel.

Today I am wearing a fit and flare dress with these sturdy shoes with a silk scarf of course.

So comfortable and I really don't care if I am committing some sort of fashion crime.

Can you find something in between the two looks you like - a loafer of some sort, Dune do some nice loafers with a 1/2 - 1 inch heel.

Doobigetta Wed 28-Sep-16 19:12:19

All my winter work shoes are along the lines of the first pair, although not in patent. They aren't necessarily what I'd choose if I had completely free reign, but I think they're a decent compromise between style, comfort and formality.
And I just bought a pair of the brogues in tan at the weekend! I love them with jeans and 7/8 trousers, but I think they'd only work with dresses in a bright tights and tea dress kind of way, which to my mind is not workwear. I'm afraid I think if you want to wear dresses to work, they have to go with heels. Not skyscraper heels, but not flat either. Flat shoes and dresses/skirts scream office junior to me. Sorry.

idontlikealdi Wed 28-Sep-16 19:18:30

I have the brogues. I LOVE them. Change to heels in the office if need to be super smart though.

MarvinKMooney Wed 28-Sep-16 19:27:15

I have three pairs of the clarks brogues: in oxblood, grey and cream. I wear them all the time with 7/8 trousers for work (not corporate).

I struggle with footwear for skirts though. I'm not good in heels,so my dresses tend to come out winter when I pair them with thick tights and boots. (Or when my ankles get cold - whichever comes first!)

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Wed 28-Sep-16 19:29:09

I'm trying to decide about the brogues so thank you for all the good comments about them!
Now I just need to decide between the green or tan. Would people risk wearing tan shoes with black jeans or is that a sartorial sin?

traviata Wed 28-Sep-16 20:28:35

I just got these which I shall be wearing with a grey pencil skirt tomorrow. They are unbelievably comfortable. I don't think I look like the office junior - they have a good solid authoritative air about them.

BikeRunSki Wed 28-Sep-16 20:33:35

I have several pairs of Hamble Oaks which I wear for work. I don't really do heels.

OlennasWimple Wed 28-Sep-16 20:34:43

Brogues are classic and lovely, but - personally - I think pencil skirts need a small heel. I'm a fan of kitten heels, but I know the S&B consensus is against them smile

Wigglinandgigglin Thu 29-Sep-16 06:54:33

A maybe I'll just buy both......

Thanks for the opinions. It might actually be an idea to buy both. I only work part-time, so don't want more than one pair of shoes solely for work. I think the brogues could work with some of my out of work gear though, so it might be worth it. I just sometimes feel a bit of a heel smartens things up a bit at work. I'm always the one with messy hair who's rushed make up, so every little helps!

And handily I have twins, which means Clarks discount!

didireallysaythat Thu 29-Sep-16 09:01:30

I have a pair of Gabor patent flats - well more if a gentle wedge that are bliss. I know Gabor does have a "more mature woman" rep but there are some good ones there too (apologies can't get a link to work)

PurpleDaisies Thu 29-Sep-16 09:07:36

I have those brogues, plus another almost identical pair in burgundy. I wear them all the time.

I have had four pairs of these clarks heels. They're not going to set the fashion world alight but they're really comfortable, I can stand up in them all day and drive in them. Plus they're very reasonably priced.

www.clarks.co.uk/p/26114677?cm_mmc=Google-_-Product-Listing-Ads-_-PLA-_-la&kpid=26114677&gclid=CPeR9vKOtM8CFQIcGwod5GoENA

doorhandle Thu 29-Sep-16 09:42:11

I've just bought these as an alternative to mary jane sytle shoes.

There's 20% off everything over the weekend!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now