Have the shit skin of a 40+ year old. Help me to GLOW again!

(25 Posts)
overthehillandroundthemountain Tue 27-Sep-16 09:09:42

My skin is so awful. Too many late nights, and that weird 40+ acne thing have caused scars. What's worse, stress has led me to picking them.

What can I use to make myself GLOW again? I used to have such lovely skin, no blemishes. Now I look like someone has painted teardrops onto my cheeks.

I'm using a Clearasil anti-blemish mask & facewash (it does both things)
Some of the Montaigne de Jeunesse face packs weekly
Exfoliating with sugar
Crushed aspirin tablets
Various Clarins cleansers (these are the best)

I think I need a good scrub - am wondering about a facial.

Can anyone recommend something? My skin is pretty normal - as in, a bit oily on the T but not that bad.

splintergrunt Tue 27-Sep-16 09:11:09

Coldhandscoldheart Tue 27-Sep-16 09:17:27

I'm sure people will be on with better ideas, am partly joining as I'm in much the same boat. If you're doing all those things every week, are you sure you're not overdoing it?
I had to stop using scrub a few years ago as it suddenly started making things worse.
I'm very fed up about the spots, but I think not drinking (much) alcohol & reducing sugar are helping when I do, and I'm hardly doing anything to my skin for a while except a mask every so often & micellar water at night.

overthehillandroundthemountain Tue 27-Sep-16 09:21:07

Hey Cold glad I'm not alone!

Meant to say that those are the things I've tried on and off since May/June. Am now down to the Clearasil thing.

Arghh what works? I KNOW I need to stop picking my spots. That has helped but I now have these ugly scars. Maybe they will just fade by themselves over time. I prob need some early nights, more water - don't drink alcohol - and a mild cleanser twice a day (which the Clearasil thing is). But it is so ugly!

There. Prescribed my own cure! Would like some sort of facial though.

CoolToned Tue 27-Sep-16 10:24:46

Don't exfoliate with sugar. Search for acids (AHA/BHA) and tretinoin threads here in Style and Beauty smile

SissySpacekAteMyHamster Tue 27-Sep-16 10:26:35

Might sound a bit simplistic, but drinking lots of water really helps my skin look much better. I can tell the difference when I haven't been drinking enough.

MissMargie Tue 27-Sep-16 10:36:15

You could try Eva Fraser's workout face exercise CD. I don't have beautiful skin but it def looks less dull and pale than others my age. Though you have to stick at it at first. I do my exercises lying in bed am or pm so not too difficult.

overthehillandroundthemountain Tue 27-Sep-16 13:35:51

Hey thanks everyone: ok. No sugar, acids and tretinoin, more water and Eva Fraser. These are great tips! Thank you! Bought a new concealer stick to help mask the dreadfulness in the meantime... Oh, I meant to say that eating avocado seemed to help (might just be cos I like them, though!) Might invest in a few more...

hollinhurst84 Tue 27-Sep-16 14:44:03

Where's your moisturiser? Hydration?
It's all attack, I would add in hydraluron and a moisturiser or a nice facial oil

WomanFromAnotherPlace Tue 27-Sep-16 14:57:57

I have similar skin. My acne has now all gone, due to the EpiDuo my Dr prescribed (It really does work, but you have to put up with flaking, burning skin for 2-4 weeks).
EpiDuo has benzoyl peroxide and smalk amount of adapalene, which is a retinoid that may help a little with the scarring.
I have still got enlarged pores and pitted scars, but have been using Pixi Glow Formula for about a week, as well as a Foreo Luna wgen cleansibg, and the appearance of scars/pores have definitely improved but not disappeared altogether.

WomanFromAnotherPlace Tue 27-Sep-16 14:58:27

Typos galore from my big, fat fingers!

Mamushka Tue 27-Sep-16 15:02:23

Look into oil cleansing... basically wash your face with oil, like coconut oil, the theory is that greasy dirt won't dissolve in water/water based products but it will dissolve in oil so if you clean your face with oil it's actually better for skin with blemishes. Not only that but it moisturises your skin so your skin isn't making more grease to hydrate itself after being stripped dry but all the usual facial products. Coconut oil is probably the most common one for this. I definitely feel that my skin glows in a good way after washing with oil and a steamy hot cloth to wipe it away, and I think it reduces my blemishes too.

overthehillandroundthemountain Tue 27-Sep-16 15:38:33

Ahh yes, forgot to add moisturiser - I use it every day and night, a Clarins one, sometimes also Beauty Flash Balm, and a separate eye cream.

I tried the Clarins Blue Orchid face oil but it brought me out in pimples. The Lotus Flower one is better. I have also switched to using an anti-blemish oil (like Bio-oil) at night, which seems to be working on the hydration thing. I can't see much difference in the blemishes, but maybe it is too early, and I didn't think to use it as a cleanser. Will do that for a bit. Will also look up Pixi Glow Formula. Sounds like it can only be good! What is a Foreo Luna? I had one of those Clinique sonic brush things for my birthday last year but it caused a major spot breakout. Thanks for help!

wowfudge Tue 27-Sep-16 15:46:44

I would try a more gentle routine. Only use cleanser of whatever sort to remove make-up. Water alone in the mornings. Cut down on the face packs. Use an alternative to grainy exfoliators. You definitely don't have rosacea?

overthehillandroundthemountain Tue 27-Sep-16 15:48:23

Hi - I haven't used a grainy exfoliator but was wondering if that might do the trick? Maybe too harsh. Will cut down on face packs.

No rosacea, no...

WomanFromAnotherPlace Tue 27-Sep-16 16:28:20

Foreo Luna is a cleansing device made of Silicon. It is quite a good alternative to the Clarisonic as you don't need to fork out for replacement brush heads. Although, Aldi have started selling a dupe version for a third of the price. I think the brand is called Silvercrest? Not sure what it's like but maybe get that one to see if you like it rather than paying £100+.

Oh! Also, Estee Lauder Night Repair has helped alongside the Pixi Glow Tonic.
HTH?

MrsT2007 Tue 27-Sep-16 16:55:32

Having success with la Roche Posay effaclar duo. It's definitely helping (only had it a week) & I oil cleanse then use avene foaming wash at night and micellar water in mornings.

Notfootball Tue 27-Sep-16 19:50:43

I have the same skin as you OP, have been struggling with it for years now and it coincided with the birth of my first DC. I have finally gone back to work after being a SAHM and it has started to miraculously improve. I can only put this down to me not having as much time to pick at crap all day. I have a terrible sweet tooth so I'm assuming that the reduction in my sugar intake had made a difference. It's still not brilliant but better than it was. Last weekend, I had vast quantities of prosecco and I flared up again. I have also started to drink more water than before - 2.5 - 3l - and I think that had helped too.

I use superdrug vit E day cream plus a sunscreen which I remove with micellar water then neutrogena wash and a hot flannel, and the same cream (plus serum on my neck) at night. I remove that with water and a flannel in the shower in the morning.

Following for more tips.

stupidphone Tue 27-Sep-16 21:14:14

Hot oil cleansing with Argan oil, nothing else needed!

SeasonalVag Wed 28-Sep-16 12:49:07

Oil cleansing
Rosehip oil
2 litres of water per day
Exercise.....trampolining in particular makes me glow
And if you're into supplements, astaxanthin

overthehillandroundthemountain Fri 30-Sep-16 23:29:46

Ooh some fabulous suggestions! The oil seems to have worked. It's on the mend! Must have more early nights and drink more water.

Coldhandscoldheart Sat 01-Oct-16 09:52:23

What do you do with the oil? Am a bit stupid at all this kind of thing, but I finally have a bit of money, and I sort of feel I'm enough of a grown up now to buy expensive skin things!

GeorgeTheThird Sat 01-Oct-16 10:00:55

Which type of oil did you use?

LagoDiComo Sat 01-Oct-16 11:34:49

I recommend Alpha H products, Balancing Cleanser, Liquid Gold, Liquid Gold smoothing and perfecting mask. Not especially cheap but you can pick up travel sizes in eBay.

Blueisthemagicnumber Sat 01-Oct-16 13:07:19

A serum with hydrolonic acid in will plump up the skin. It sounds scarier than it really is. Vichy Aqualia is the one I use.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now