Top with jeans for a dinner party

(27 Posts)
StewardsEnquiry Mon 26-Sep-16 12:40:31

Has anyone got any suggestions of a top that I can wear with dark blue or black jeans and heels for a dinner party this weekend?

I'm hoping to look like "oh this old thing?" casual glam!

Size 10, tall, winter colouring. Would prefer to have some sleeves if possible.

burnishedsilver Mon 26-Sep-16 13:16:22

No sleeves, sorry, but I think this is lovely. Its a dressy but its still just a tee shirt.
www.mintvelvet.co.uk/charcoal-ombre-sequin-tee/tops/mint-v/fcp-product/7437

burnishedsilver Mon 26-Sep-16 13:18:43

or this...
www.oasis-stores.com/ie/clothing/tops/luxe-drape-t-shirt/057852.html?dwvar_057852_color=14&position=131&cgid=tops#prefn1=refinementcategory&prefv1=Tops&page=11&start=131&categoryID=tops

blushrush Mon 26-Sep-16 13:39:04

Try this at House of Fraser

Or this at Yoox

Floisme Mon 26-Sep-16 13:48:07

This might be too casual - it depends on the dinner party - but for me, the Whistles sparkle knit absolutely nails 'this old thing' glamour. I have two and I wear them far more than I do my full-on 'going out' stuff (which is probably a sad reflection on my social life but anyway....).

This is it in navy but they do it in several colours:
www.whistles.com/women/clothing/knitwear/annie-sparkle-knit-23031.html?dwvar_annie-sparkle-knit-23031_color=Navy#start=1

I've also got a sneaky feeling the Grazia 25% Whistles offer might be happening this week - it's normally in late September.

StewardsEnquiry Mon 26-Sep-16 16:34:57

Thank you very much. I like both of your suggestions, burnished, and I think the Whistles top may be a runner too. I will have a look in store later in the week - it doesn't look much on the website but the description is just the ticket.

I find dinner party tops are actually a bit tricky to get just right - like you've made an effort but not tried too hard! I ought to have a policy of buying suitable stuff whenever I see it to avoid this last minute panic.

LastBusHome Mon 26-Sep-16 16:52:52

I think it will be a case of finding something a nice fabric but understated colour/ plain design. I have a lovely silky black camisole top that is very plain but looks great. Think it was from Lipsy

I really like that, Flo. Does it wash well?

Laska5772 Mon 26-Sep-16 19:19:36

What about the Hush wrap shirt ? I really like the green

Floisme Mon 26-Sep-16 19:29:48

Remus I wash it on a delicate cycle in a pillow case and it's been fine - no bobbling or shrinking.

Thanks, Flo.

Judydreamsofhorses Mon 26-Sep-16 20:58:23

I have the cropped version of that sparkly Whistles jumper from last year (it sits on my waist, not actually cropped) in grey and love it. They did a turtleneck version a couple of years back which I have in black - also the shorter length - and have worn it to death. Both wash really well. I got a 25% off email from them last week so I would bet cash money that the Grazia coupon is tomorrow.

Pantsalive Mon 26-Sep-16 23:55:26

The cropped grey one is currently on sale at £35

Mummydummy Tue 27-Sep-16 00:07:17

I have the hush top in green!

StewardsEnquiry Tue 27-Sep-16 09:02:02

Right I need am going on an outing to Whistles then I still have time for a Hush order if necessary. Just considering a dress from Hush as an alternative. How about the Victoria or the Tara with opaques and heels? I like the batwing sleeves on the Victoria

Theonlyoneiknow Tue 27-Sep-16 09:13:15

I have two of the Tara dresses and love them. Find it very flattering and versatile

Laska5772 Tue 27-Sep-16 10:32:11

Tara dress didnt do anything for me as I have a (smallish) pot belly and largish boobs ( sound great dont I smile?) but I reckon that Hush wrap blouse and the Hush ruched skirt would look great together.. I have the skirt in Burgundy and its really flattering

PrimalLass Tue 27-Sep-16 13:00:30

The Hush wrap shirt makes me look enormous. It is so voluminous around the stomach.

margaritasbythesea Tue 27-Sep-16 13:26:07

I found thehush wrapshirt very big too.

Is anyone who has the Tara dress a size 10 and 5 foot 6 by any chance? If so what size did you get? Sorry for hijack

palanca Tue 27-Sep-16 13:32:07

have a look at this website too:

www.shopatanna.com/

polyhymnia Tue 27-Sep-16 18:52:26

Just been admiring those Whistles sparkle tops in the shop - think they are lovely. Really like the fact they're understated and so versatile. Only wish I could fit into one!

Theonlyoneiknow Wed 28-Sep-16 11:36:43

I find hush sizing very big. I would order an XS and an S and send one back

trixymalixy Wed 28-Sep-16 11:41:19

I've just bought this to wear with jeans on a night out. It's lovely on.

Pantsalive Wed 28-Sep-16 12:26:50

That's lovely trixy. I've now got my eye on this silver one.

margaritasbythesea Wed 28-Sep-16 20:15:15

Thanks the only one. I'm in Spain and was thinking of risking international delivery. Hmmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now