How do you know if you have olive skin? And what make up do you use?

(7 Posts)
BadTasteFlump Mon 26-Sep-16 10:53:36

I think I have olive skin anyway! I've always been confused about if I'm cool or warm toned when I've tried to do my colours - Winter colours do tend to suit me but there's nothing 'cool' about my skin - I tan easily and it's a yellow tone rather than a pink - also the veins under my skin aren't really blue or green confused. In the winter without make up I look really sallow and washed out, but in the summer I tan really easily and look much better. I have dark ash-brown hair and dark brown eyes.

Anyway I've read something that suggests I have olive skin. Which is a bit confusing as I thought olive skin meant quite dark asian/southern med colouring.

So how do you know if you have olive skin? And most importantly, what foundation and other make up do you use? I struggle with foundation in the winter - in the summer I just use BB cream which is fine, but as soon as I lose my tan it's a struggle to get anything to match - it's either all too pale or too orange.

DaisyFranceLynch Mon 26-Sep-16 11:00:24

I've got light olive skin (fair with yellowish overtones, tan easily) with mousy hair and green-blue eyes.

I've had my colours done and I am a "bright winter" - apparently quite a lot of winters have this kind of colouring, although it isn't the stereotype, and are misled by the yellow overtones into thinking they have warm colouring when they are actually cool.

The foundations that suit me tend to look slightly greyed, rather than pink/orange/yellow, in the bottle. I'm currently wearing Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum in vanilla, #52.

BadTasteFlump Mon 26-Sep-16 11:04:40

Aha thank you Daisy, I do like Bourjois stuff so I will have a look at their foundations smile

If you don't mind me asking, which company did your colours please? Did they recognise your skin tone as olive?

DaisyFranceLynch Mon 26-Sep-16 11:16:42

I had them done by a woman called Gabi - her company is Chromology - chromology.co.uk. The system she uses is called Sci-Art, and it looks at how your skin reacts to different colours. I was draped as a soft warm season by Colour Me Beautiful but those colours really don't suit me.

Gabi didn't use the term "olive", but we did discuss how yellow overtones can make someone's skin look warm even when they are a cool colouring. If you look at her website there's a picture of her - she's also a bright winter with slightly olive skin, but with darker hair and eyes than me.

BadTasteFlump Mon 26-Sep-16 11:38:17

Thank you! That website is really interesting - I could waste hours on there grin

HeyMacWey Mon 26-Sep-16 11:45:59

I'm an olive - dark hair and brown eyes. Veins are neither green or blue. Tan v easily.
I also use bourjois healthy mix (though use the foundation rather than the serum as I'm oily skinned) shade 53 in the summer and 52 in the winter. I also rate their cc cream shade 32 in winter and 33 in the summer).

DaisyFranceLynch Wed 28-Sep-16 08:31:17

If you like Gabi's website you might also like Twelve Blueprints which is a blog by Christine Scaman - she has loads of posts about make up for different seasons.

HeyMacWey - I might check out some of the other Bourjois products. The colours are perfect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now