Marks and Spencer peacoat

(29 Posts)
Windowbasket Sat 24-Sep-16 13:50:54

www.marksandspencer.com/tailored-fit-wool-blend-peacoat/p/p22467070#bvHeader. I am interested in opinions on this! I like the green but am wondering if it will date quickly ..

Motherwithflaws Sat 24-Sep-16 13:51:48

It's lovely, I looked at it yesterday.

I love it. Have been drooling over it, but really don't need a new coat.

MitzyLeFrouf Sat 24-Sep-16 14:09:54

It's a pretty classic style and colour. I can't imagine it dating.

neveradullmoment99 Sat 24-Sep-16 14:17:10

mm..I dont like the buttons. It looks like something my mum would have worn years ago. Not fussed tbh and its a bit boring. The navy is horrible. The green is slightly nicer.

naffedoff Sat 24-Sep-16 14:40:36

I saw this in store yesterday. Imo, it doesn't look as nice in real life as it does on the website; the buttons are yellow gold and seem poor quality and the green colour/material looks old-ladyish.

KoalaDownUnder Sat 24-Sep-16 14:44:10

I agree that the buttons ruin it.

MitzyLeFrouf Sat 24-Sep-16 14:47:33

If you love the coat you could easily have the buttons changed to something more appealing. I've done this before with a navy woollen coat that had horrible plastic buttons. Had them changed to brass and it looked so much better.

Motherwithflaws Sat 24-Sep-16 16:41:07

I don't like the buttons either but that's easily fixed

GypsyFl0ss Sat 24-Sep-16 16:45:15

My 19yr old DD has this and it's fab on her. Much nicer on than in pics or even on the hanger. She's all bleached hair, red lips, and pinafores and it is perfect. I tried it on and looked bloody ridiculous, like I was wearing my granny's Sunday church coat.

PoppyBirdOnAWire Sat 24-Sep-16 16:47:17

But if you are not an old lady, the buttons won't turn you into one.hmm

PoppyBirdOnAWire Sat 24-Sep-16 16:50:01

Actually the navy is far more classy. I like the cost.

PoppyBirdOnAWire Sat 24-Sep-16 16:50:14

...coat

burnishedsilver Sat 24-Sep-16 16:59:43

It looks great open but for me its a bit too retangular when its closed. At that length I think it needs a little shape to it.

katiegg Sat 24-Sep-16 17:15:24

I've looked at it too, love the colour! Unfortunately, it was just too long (short arse here!) and the lack of hood wouldn't make it a sensible purchase for me.

It's very beautiful though!

BikeRunSki Sat 24-Sep-16 17:19:23

I prefer this one, but it's only in bkack

CointreauVersial Sun 25-Sep-16 00:21:07

I think it's lovely.

I've seen it on about three fashion blogs, so I'm not the only one who likes it. I can't justify a new coat at the moment, though.

Don't like that one, Bike. Just a bit dull.

ageingrunner Sun 25-Sep-16 01:45:52

Why are they called peacoats?

ageingrunner Sun 25-Sep-16 01:54:41

It's ok, have googled smile

KarenfromFinance Sun 25-Sep-16 09:21:15

I ordered both the olive and navy on the 20 o'clock off promotion with the intention of returning one. The navy looks less expensive and one of the 'staysafe' buttons is almost off. It's going back but the olive one is great.

EnidButton Sun 25-Sep-16 13:38:31

ageing From wiki

"According to a 1975 edition of the Mariner's Mirror, the term pea coat originated from the Dutch or West Frisian word pijjekker or pijjakker, in which pij referred to the type of cloth used, a coarse kind of twilled blue cloth with a nap on one side.[10]"

"Another theory, favoured by the US Navy, is that the heavy topcoat worn in cold, miserable weather by seafaring men was once tailored from "pilot cloth" – a heavy, coarse, stout kind of twilled blue cloth with the nap on one side. This was sometimes called P-cloth from the initial letter of pilot, and the garment made from it was called a P-jacket – later a pea coat. The term has been used since 1723 to denote coats made from that cloth.[11]"

I went down a very interesting wiki fashion hole for a good half hour there. smile

EnidButton Sun 25-Sep-16 13:40:26

ageing Sorry! Didn't see your second post. blush Glad I looked anyway. Interesting stuff.

I like the coat OP Go and try it on and see if you still like it in rl. I can't imagining it ever dating.

seri0usly Sun 25-Sep-16 15:45:48

What's the 20% off promotion code ??

Or has that ship sailed?

KarenfromFinance Sun 25-Sep-16 17:29:03

Sorry the ship has sailed. But they do 20 p c off fairly regularly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now