Burgandy or black skirt and what shoes?

(13 Posts)
Florathefern Fri 23-Sep-16 23:33:49

I'm gong to order either the burgandy or black Hush skirt but I can't make up my mind about the colour.

I try not to wear too much black these days and I've never really worn burgandy. I wear a lot of grey which would work with the burgandy but I like wearing black with black and it is dressier especially coming up to Christmas.

I'd like to wear the skirt more day to day though as I'm determined not to keep clothes for special occasions.

What could I wear with the black shirt other than a black top though?

What day shoes could I wear with either?

I'm aware my post is full of contradictions hence the wavering over which colour to buy.

wowfudge Sat 24-Sep-16 08:27:32

I've got the burgundy Tara dress which has the ruched skirt. I've worn it with black opaque tights and black flats. It would also work with boots. Dark brown or a dark metallic like pewter would also work.

You could wear anything from a vest to a chunky jumper with the skirt.

fozzy26 Sat 24-Sep-16 10:15:49

I have both the Hush runched skirts and I find I wear the black a lot more than the burgundy. I wear them with tan suede boots from next and black opaque tights.

There is a link here for £10 off your first order.
hush.mention-me.com/m/ode/osl-4d4ab039a2

The black skirt looks lovely with the black star shirt.

Lidlfix Sat 24-Sep-16 10:24:34

I just bought the black skirt and the green Tara dress. Like you I am trying to avoid black but figured I could wear lots of bright tops, more of my jackets with black. Whereas the dress I wouldn't have other colours going on.

So far I've worn the skirt with tan ankle boot black plaques. I've also worn it with black knee length boots.

Florathefern Sat 24-Sep-16 11:57:02

I remember Trinny & Susannah saying colour or white shouldn't be worn with black. Not sure if other neutrals ok other than black. I know some people didn't like them but at the time, I liked them.

Florathefern Sat 24-Sep-16 11:58:30

It's the midi skirt not the ruched one. Unsure if that makes a difference? I'm veering towards burgundy for practical wear but would prefer the black I think.

Floisme Sat 24-Sep-16 12:15:00

I avoid black next to my face too. I have a couple of black skirts but I only wear them with other dark colours e.g. grey or dark green or with metallics. I know some people say black goes with everything but I don't agree. If it was me, I'd go for the burgundy skirt - I'd find it far more versatile.

neveradullmoment99 Sat 24-Sep-16 22:11:42

I dislike burgundy tbh. I think it isn't as versatile. I think a black skirt gives you numerous options. Black with black -yes. Black with cream - yes. Black with grey - yes. Burgundy looks flat against other colours imo. I would struggle with burgundy personally and not wear it with much. What tights would you wear? It will depend upon your top. I would get the black. Its classic and also great for evenings as well as daytime.

neveradullmoment99 Sat 24-Sep-16 22:14:54

Trinny and susannah were full of crap. Of course you can wear colour next to black but its about styling it. I think bold colours look rubbish next to black. Subtle colours like mauve, dusky pink etc can look fine. You can also pull the whole look together with a scarf.

Florathefern Sat 24-Sep-16 22:29:01

Never that is my worry about burgundy. I have a top in it and rarely wear it as I never feel nice in it. It feels dull and drab against my very pale skin tone. But I'm concerned I will only wear black with black.

I don't think T&S were off the mark. Personally I think 'colours' with black look wrong.

I wish the skirt came in a nice neutral like grey.

neveradullmoment99 Sat 24-Sep-16 22:37:07

I think Trinny and Susannah were right if you put bold brights next to black. But neutrals will be fine. Is it the see throughish skirt? If it is thats lovely. I would definetly buy the black. Why not try both and return one?

Florathefern Sat 24-Sep-16 22:42:33

Yes that is the one. The burgundy is more every day wear. The black might be a bit widow like. I don't have a busy night life so want it for day wear. I'm starting to think I might just forget about it :-(

SueTrinder Sun 25-Sep-16 00:28:26

T&S say it's OK to wear black with white, grey, red and dark brown leather I think. I would add a few colours to that but don't like black with light colours e.g. sky blue. Shudder.

I don't wear a lot of black so would buy the burgundy skirt. But I went for the Tara dress in green which is lovely, although I was told I look like Peter Pan by a 20 year old at work who has yet to develop any tact.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now