How much would you bid for a preowned leather jacket

(26 Posts)
CoolToned Fri 23-Sep-16 20:47:33

in perfect condition, worn several times, on eBay? Original price is £360.

SheldonsSpot Fri 23-Sep-16 20:48:20

250 max

CoffeeAtLukes Fri 23-Sep-16 20:53:25

£200

CoolToned Fri 23-Sep-16 21:04:08

This is the leather jacket

OhTheRoses Fri 23-Sep-16 21:06:03

It's second hand, it's been worn several times, it's had someone else's armpits inside it. £25 tops.

CoolToned Fri 23-Sep-16 21:06:24

This one I bought brand new for £324 and I was thinking of returning.

Which one to keep?

QuiltedAloeVera Fri 23-Sep-16 21:06:37

For that money it would need to be a very covetable brand.

noeuf Fri 23-Sep-16 21:07:33

You have two?

I don't love that jacket tbh , you need someone who does

Boredomismyenemy Fri 23-Sep-16 21:07:45

Have you checked the completed listings to see what others sold for? That's what I tend to do. Have you tried the jacket on in a store to know it will definitely fit? I'd happily pay more if I knew it wasn't a gamble!

CoolToned Fri 23-Sep-16 21:09:27

Boredomismyenemy - it's a jacket that was released two years ago and yes, I have tried that instore.

I don't know how to check completed listings though.

CoolToned Fri 23-Sep-16 21:10:45

Quilted - the jacket on eBay is from Witchery, an Aussie brand.

The jacket I bought for £324 is Schott, but I think it's the Euro-made Schott, as it's soft.

QuiltedAloeVera Fri 23-Sep-16 23:15:00

How confident can you be that it'll fit? I wouldn't spend more money on it than would upset me if it turned out to be unwearable, if that makes sense.

So, for me, that's about twenty quid smile

CoolToned Fri 23-Sep-16 23:26:44

Quilted - I have tried it before instore.

CorrigansDoorKnob Sat 24-Sep-16 02:33:36

I've bought a few things for Witchery and I've never been amazed by the quality tbh. I imagine that the leather would be good, but the zip stitching and finish might not be up to much in the long run.

WanderingTrolley1 Sat 24-Sep-16 03:03:12

How can it be in perfect condition if worn several times?

I'd spend no more than maybe £40.

MumblePuppy Sat 24-Sep-16 04:19:44

Put it on with a buy it now price of 60% of new cost, but accept returns if buyer pays return postage.

I'll pay a pretty good price for hardly worn stuff shoes if I can return it. Loathe to pay more than about £20 if I can't return it if it doesn't fit.

TanteRose Sat 24-Sep-16 04:31:13

Yep 50 quid max

barefootbird Sat 24-Sep-16 08:08:41

At our local dry cleaners they quite £75 for a leather jacket clean. I've never bought a leather jacket second hand because by the time you factor in the £75 it's often not worth it. I still look in charity shops for that super bargain though!

If anyone knows a place that cleans for cheaper let me know!

OdinsLoveChild Sat 24-Sep-16 11:33:02

I wouldn't pay more than £100 for a 2nd hand leather jacket.

barefootbird you can stick your leather jacket in the washing machine. Get a really good quality leather conditioner (horse tack shop or furniture store) to use after washing to help condition the leather but heres the basic instructions: editbydesign.com/2012/09/06/how-to-machine-wash-a-leather-jacket/

I have tried it and as long as you don't rush the washing process (I washed on a handwash/silk program and dried mine on the washing line on a autumn day so not a hot day and not in direct sunlight) it can work out ok. Apply the conditioner once the jacket is almost dry (not completely dry as I found it went stiff) and as directed (different brands have different instructions).

It didn't look as new as it had before (it lost that plastic shine they often have) and like it says in the article it looks like you've had it a while and it's been worn a few times but it didn't look old/battered/worn out or anything.

Oldraver Sat 24-Sep-16 11:41:56

I don't know how to check completed listings though.

Scroll down and on the left hand side where the filters are you will see a 'Completed Listings' tick box

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sat 24-Sep-16 11:51:30

odin ...that's really interesting...was it a dressier finer type leather or more a proper chunky biker jacket style??

I've bought two recently for absolute pennies...well, both for dh, and they are proper heavy weight biker jackets. One we bought in May and just by dint of leather cleaner, fresh air, a bit of febreze and sunshine we have the old, kept in a dark cupboard forever smell out of it, but the second one I just got, so this could be a much quicker option!

CoolToned Sat 24-Sep-16 11:52:52

Thanks, Oldraver!!

I've washed leather jacket in washing machine before. It turned out fine.

OdinsLoveChild Sat 24-Sep-16 11:55:53

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia It's a thicker biker style. It looks exactly the same as the one in the picture above but from a bike shop and thicker leather on the elbows and down the centre of the back. grin

ArieltheMermaid1720 Sat 24-Sep-16 12:12:28

I washed a whistles leather jacket before (not in the machine though, I dunked mine in the bath).

neveradullmoment99 Sat 24-Sep-16 14:15:21

I bid on a leather jacket [ not biker] and I bagged it for £35
On ebay preowned £100. People expect a bargain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now