Midi skirts

(19 Posts)
igotnotimeforthis Fri 23-Sep-16 13:02:42

How do you wear them without looking like an old lady? (Nothing wrong with being an old lady, but I'm not yet)
Would love to see pics!
I like them but just think it's too easy to look a bit frumpy, no?

DirtyBlonde Fri 23-Sep-16 13:18:47

Do you mean midi in the proper sense (mid calf) or the brand new meaning of knee-length?

MsUnderstanding Fri 23-Sep-16 13:27:28

With trainers

igotnotimeforthis Fri 23-Sep-16 13:47:13

I mean like on that picture msunderstanding posted

herecomesthsun Fri 23-Sep-16 18:20:49

Now I might be an old (?middle youth?)lady but I don't think these people are

herecomesthsun Fri 23-Sep-16 18:25:08

or him or her or her

olderthanyouthink Fri 23-Sep-16 18:29:41

I tried on some "proper" midi skirts a little while ago and felt a bit old lady-ish and I'm faaaar from it... I'm realising that I might not look like lamb dressed as mutton after all.

I think it might feel older than it looks to other people.

igotnotimeforthis Fri 23-Sep-16 21:01:23

Thanks for the photos!
However....
The first one. I don't do trainers and this is a bit too "hipster " for me. I did wear summer skirts with toms but now that's over.

The ones with pencil skirts are great, I meant more the floaty skirts like the skirt in pic 1.

High herls picture is great, but I wouldn't be wearing heels on a regular day running around with kids.
The lady in black pic is not my style

Sorry for picking these apart....

igotnotimeforthis Fri 23-Sep-16 21:02:00

High heels rather

igotnotimeforthis Fri 23-Sep-16 21:05:47

Been on pinterest and found some great examples but again mostly with heels.
Also I wouldn't wear a bright white skirt with kids.. But it's pretty!!

igotnotimeforthis Fri 23-Sep-16 21:10:45

Absolutely love this one, if only i had a chance to get away from the grubby paws for a few hours and a reason to wear it.

So I guess my question is how do i translate this to something that's suitable for my everyday

herecomesthsun Fri 23-Sep-16 22:37:19

Now I love this and I think a range of ages might suit the styling.

olderthanyouthink Fri 23-Sep-16 22:41:48

I get the feeling its often the heels that de-frump.

herecomesthsun Fri 23-Sep-16 22:59:21

It depends on whether you want a Stevie Nicks sort of vibe (easy to do with a flowy/ velvet/chiffon/ pleated skirt and flat funky boots, embellished/ leopard/fringed/tassled/velvet) or something sleeker with a pencil skirt (more difficult to do without heels).

igotnotimeforthis Fri 23-Sep-16 23:14:28

Just googled Stevie Nicks images and am none the wiser

But yes, more flowy skirts not pencil.

Unfortunately i think that olderthanyouthink is right and heels make all the difference

Stokey Sat 24-Sep-16 08:55:50

You can wear them with quite low block heels or with brogues or loafers if you don't like trainers?

If you're short ( like me) I do think a heel helps elongate the look. I normally wear mine with a tee-shirt which also gets away from the old lady look.

SpiritedLondon Sat 24-Sep-16 09:25:50

Ooh I love a midi skirt! I wear mine with an ankle boot, trainer or Birkenstock type sandal. On top I wear T shirts and a cropped / waist length jacket. This image is pretty nice and casual enough for children I think.

Floisme Sat 24-Sep-16 10:11:14

Maybe you should ask some of those old ladies you are so fearful of resembling. They will probably have worn midi skirts before.

It's a tricky length because it draws the eye to the thickest part of the lower leg. You can sometimes alleviate it by going a bit longer to just above the ankle, or shorter to just below the knee. But if that doesn't appeal then just wear with boots - flat or heeled - to disguise the shape of the leg. That's what we did in the 70s - I'm pretty sure Stevie Nicks would have done the same.

igotnotimeforthis Sat 24-Sep-16 12:54:21

Thanks Spirited, that's a good one, I really like it.

I'm fairly tall and about size 8 well closer to 10 actually atm .
Leg shape is fine wish I could say that same about my stomach so not too worried about disguising it. But mostly i wear my comfy black ankle boots

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now