Anyone had their teeth whitened...?

(17 Posts)
Lumpylumperson Thu 22-Sep-16 14:41:24

I've just booked to get mine done and I'm feeling a bit nervous.

It's a lot of money (£300+) which I can take out of savings and pay back monthly to replenish. DH is happy for me to do this too.

I have sensitive teeth and told them this. They said that they will use a gentler gel which will take longer to get the wanted results but will be better for my sensitivity.

I had braces for years as a kid and still don't really like my teeth as although they are straight they aren't white at all. I don't wear lipstick because I don't want to draw attention to them.

Anyone had it done? How was the sensitivity? Are you pleased and was it worth it?

Badgoushk Thu 22-Sep-16 14:44:55

I had mine done about 20 years ago with the gel. I have sensitive teeth and it was agony. I had to stop after 3 days and couldn't eat. I restarted again a few days later but could only do another night. I was disappointed as it was pretty pricey!

Years later I tried laser whitening which also hurt but it was over with after a few days.

My mum's best friend is a dentist and she says the lasering is a waste of time because all it does is dry the teeth out temporarily to make them look whiter. She says the bleach trays is the only way and said if I were to do it again to do it once a week.

Sorry not to be more positive.

hollinhurst84 Thu 22-Sep-16 14:46:49

I'm having mine done tomorrow!

MrsRonBurgundy Thu 22-Sep-16 14:47:14

Oooo following because I'm considering it too! I don't have sensitive teeth but am worried about them becoming sensitive

RebeccaWithTheGoodHair Thu 22-Sep-16 14:53:10

I've had the same experience as Badgoushk. The laser whitening seemed good and didn't hurt but it also didn't last.

I managed the gel for about 3 days before my teeth just became so sensitive I was clenching them like I was coming down from an E.

However it did work so every once in a while I grit my teeth (literally) and have another crack at it for one night. I don't think I'll ever have super-white teeth but doing it this way has made them better.

Lumpylumperson Thu 22-Sep-16 14:55:14

Did the sensitivity go away after a day or so longer or ever?

The thought of doing it once a week sounds sensible. I'd rather it take longer and not cause any pain than rush it and gave sore teeth.

hollinhurst84 Thu 22-Sep-16 14:56:10

I'm having the zoom one but with take home trays too

Badgoushk Thu 22-Sep-16 15:19:00

The sensitivity went away completely after about 3-4 days of not using the trays. But it came back again with each use. But it goes again! It's just rather unpleasant not being able to chew for 3-4 days!

Also, I felt like the bleach was trickling down my throat in the night. That was probably the worst bit. I kept spitting it out until I fell asleep.

Florathefern Thu 22-Sep-16 15:30:50

I used the trays which were very pricey at the time. I couldn't stick the pain at all and stopped after a couple of days. I never went near the bottom teeth at all!

For a previous poster who wore hers at night, are you sure you were meant to do that? Mine were for a maximum of an hour (I think it was an hour). I couldn't even handle that let alone all night. My teeth felt like i was eating cotton wool.

NuggetofPurestGreen Thu 22-Sep-16 15:36:51

I did it and had no sensitivity at all! Wore the trays every night for about 2.5 weeks. Results were excellent.

NuggetofPurestGreen Thu 22-Sep-16 15:37:41

I think mine cost €250. B

DianaT1969 Thu 22-Sep-16 17:40:32

Were any of these Kohr whitening? Wondering which system to try.

NEmum Thu 22-Sep-16 17:43:18

I had mine done (trays) for my wedding last year & it was a fantastic investment! I also had very yellowing teeth - v healthy just their natural colour.
Mine were sensitive to start with but over time it got better, you definitely need to use an extra sensitive toothpaste but I was so pleased I persevered as the results are still fantastic!

NEmum Thu 22-Sep-16 17:43:53

I also wore mine every night X

Dowser Thu 22-Sep-16 18:19:43

I did mine in America . Was $200. Had trays made and they made such a difference.
It was an hour a day every day for about 10 days I think.
I redo them every so often
They aren't brilliant while but for a 64 year old lass, they are doing ok.

burnishedsilver Thu 22-Sep-16 18:21:58

I had to done and I'm happy with it. They were sensitive at first but it calmed down aster a few days of a sensitive toothpaste.

Badgoushk Thu 22-Sep-16 20:02:48

Florathefern, yeah I'm pretty sure I was supposed to wear them at night! But this was 20 odd years ago so perhaps they have improved since and don't require quite so long.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now