Nail varnish that doesn't melt when abroad

(15 Posts)

I'm going on holiday in a couple of weeks and would love to find a nail varnish for my toes. One which doesn't melt and go all sticky in the heat.

Any suggestions?

I live in Texas, it was 100F yesterday and I've never had a nail polish melt in the heat. I do use a sally Hansen or Essie top coat though.....

Buzzardbird Thu 22-Sep-16 12:20:52

I have never had a nail varnish melt and have been to some extremely hot places. What are you using?

MiddleClassProblem Thu 22-Sep-16 12:20:56

I have never heard of this happening but don't wear polish often.

All I can say is that I had gel polish on in the Maldives and it did nothing.

Buzzardbird Thu 22-Sep-16 12:22:09

Oh wait! Just had a thought...are you using mosquito repellent on your feet? That definitely takes nail polish off, you have to use a roll on one around your ankles, rather than spraying.

JamieLannistersFuckButler Thu 22-Sep-16 12:41:18

As Buzzard says.

DEET insect repellent will DISSOLVE (or start to, so soften) nail varnish, including I believe UV-cured gel/varnish etc such as Shellac.

Sun tan lotion with insect repellant contains DEET.

So, read the ingredients of your products to avoid this.

ThanksForAllTheFish Thu 22-Sep-16 12:44:10

I've had the same problem too but it could be the mosquito repellant as I never realised it could take of nail polish.

I also find that walking barefoot in the sand rubs away my polish as it's so abrasive.

Gel polish sounds like the way to go.

OliviaBensonOnAGoodDay Thu 22-Sep-16 12:44:32

It's sun cream that takes it off, I find. Really irritating when you've had your nails done especially for holiday!

Doobigetta Thu 22-Sep-16 13:22:43

DEET destroys ordinary polish but not shellac, in my experience. You just have to be careful with your aim.

Ah ha! Yes, I use lots of insect repellant. I never even considered it could be that, thought it was just the heat melting the polish. blush

Thanks ladies, will get some roll on for ankles instead.

Buzzardbird Fri 23-Sep-16 12:00:28

this is the one I used this year

OuchLegoHurts Fri 23-Sep-16 13:04:42

Yes, definitely the mossie repellent. I got a lovely manicure for my wedding and then I was in Cuba two days later on honeymoon and my lovely manicure turned to mush!

trixymalixy Fri 23-Sep-16 13:11:58

I didn't use any insect repellent on holiday and my nail varnish melted. I'm fairly certain it was the sun cream.

Buzzardbird Fri 23-Sep-16 13:48:13

Some sun creams has repellent in them.

trixymalixy Sat 24-Sep-16 09:09:42

Mine didn't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now