I have a stupid long body and stupid short legs.

(18 Posts)
DuckingAunts Tue 20-Sep-16 14:56:33

I have no idea what looks good on me now since having two kids.

I've got quite broad shoulders too and am a general size 8-10 all over, but lumpy and bumpy and not really in proportion.

WTF can I wear that doesn't make me look like shit? I feel like all the outfit ideas I see on fashion blogs and pinterest, etc, rely on having at least proportionate length legs, if not long legs.

Everything I wear, I look dumpy.

<cries>

leedy Tue 20-Sep-16 15:09:56

Hrmm, I too have big shoulders, long body and short legs. I am not sure if I am always entire successful in looking good, but I tend to go for:

- jeans/trousers that are 7/8 length rather than totally full length, IYKWIM - either "as is" or with a turn up. Mysteriously makes my legs look less stumpy.
- TOPS THAT ARE LONG ENOUGH.
- Fitted jackets
- Flarey outy skirts (either short a-line or full midi)
- Dresses (I wear a lot of dresses) as long as the waist isn't too high up, due to my bizarrely long torso if the waist is too high it ends up sitting on my rib cage and makes me look rectangular.
- Good bra. Somehow makes everything else look better.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Tue 20-Sep-16 15:14:50

Don't cry. I find layering works best for me. I'm fairly short and 8/10. I wear something like a long vest and then a short top finishing at the waist over the top with stretchy skinnies or leggings tucked in plain boots. Chuck on a scarf or necklace to feel a bit more pulled together.
Other ideas are a tight fitted cardi or jacket over a long floaty top or a short jumper dress with thick tights.

The best cure for short legs is heels but they're not always practical I realise. grin There are some boots with a small wedge heel that might work for everyday.

Sometimes it's just a case of finding half an hour to try on the clothes you've got in your wardrobe in different combinations and working out a few outfits that suit you. Then it's easier in the morning to grab something that looks ok.

DuckingAunts Tue 20-Sep-16 15:29:59

Yes i know what you mean about the 7/8 jeans. I already wear mine like that and it does seem to help!

Also, I find I can only do V necks or low scoop necks. No round necks or polo necks.

What about high waisted trousers and jeans like mum jeans? Am wondering if these might help balance things out?

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Tue 20-Sep-16 15:55:28

Those trousers could work well or flared jeans to balance wide shoulders. On wet days they tend to get a bit soggy at the bottom though.

I like the slim leg ankle grazer ones as well.

burnishedsilver Tue 20-Sep-16 17:05:46

Bootcut jeans are making a comeback after the average woman on the street rejected flares. A slight flare that hangs long over a heeled boot should balance out your lower half and make it look in proportion to your top half. We're so wedded to our skinnies that its a hard look to get your head around but it fits your brief.

standingonlego Tue 20-Sep-16 17:08:40

Turn ups on your jeans to 3/4 length, widens you at bottom to bsldnfe you out.

Google inverted triangle body shape, is that you?

leedy Tue 20-Sep-16 17:12:20

Bootcut and flared jeans look awful on me, though. They seem to make my legs look shorter and wider rather than longer. Boyfriend/straight/skinny with a turn-up work much better.

DuckingAunts Tue 20-Sep-16 17:35:51

Yeah I am kind of an inverted triangle. But I do have hips and a bum too though.

Actually the main problem is that I have short calfs. My thighs are in proportion to my height and the rest of my body, but below the knee I'm missing three inches.

Honestly, if you could have leg-lengthening surgery I would do it in a heartbeat.

MoonlightMojitos Tue 20-Sep-16 19:17:55

😂 bless you, missing 3 inches of calves! Did make me laugh!

I'm 5ft7 so not short but also have short legs and long body. People at work laugh at how low my chair is saying it can't be right, they're always suprised that it actually is when I sit on it. That's the height for my short little legs hahah. I stick to dresses/skirts (can't tell where legs end) or long tops over jeans that again skim just over bum/to top of thighs. And heels! Only little ones, I live in my ankle boots that give me and extra inch of leg!

KatherinaMinova Tue 20-Sep-16 19:27:24

I'm exactly the same. I wear short dresses (mid-thigh) or short, slightly high-waisted skirts (so you can't tell where legs begin) and boots with a 2" heel. Knee boots are a godsend for the short of calf.

Chocolateteabag Tue 20-Sep-16 20:43:21

Try high-waisted jeans with a baby boot cut - not flare or normal boot cut.
You want it just to give a teeny flick out at the end to elongate but not widen.
Gap Baby Boot - 40% off tonight! code is HERGAP
I also second PP above in getting tops that are properly long enough - Baukjen and Me&Em do good Jersey layering stuff (try their sales or on ebay as can be £££) White Stuff do a very good thin long sleeved layering top too.

callycat1 Tue 20-Sep-16 20:46:56

you sound like me, I struggle to reach the floor as my legs are so short yet while I'm not tall there are plenty people my height who don't struggle!

hippospot Tue 20-Sep-16 21:08:46

A friend of mine has this issue but I never noticed! She wears dresses about 95% of the time, which disguises where her legs end and body begins.

DoneRacing Wed 21-Sep-16 08:14:05

Look at the wardrobe of the Duchess of Cambridge. She has the same proportions, although now thinner. It's more evident in her Kate Middleton days. She uses false high waists in dresses to disguise the leg length issue. Also, wearing a dress that hits below the knee helps as it fools the eye that your knees are actually higher than they really are.

Although losing weight will help, the thinner the legs the higher the thigh gap thus tricking the eye that the legs are actually longer. Generally being slimmer will make one look taller too.

Leg lengthening surgery is a thing! It looks barbaric though..

Pandsbear Wed 21-Sep-16 12:06:39

Ha ha this made me laugh as it is me. I look the same height as lots of people until I get up...and then err... I am short as the 'height' is in my back. I am actually 5' 3 so not tiny but it is not in proportion. I would prefer the long legs...
What works- tops that are the right length.
Jeans that don't finish round my bum (long rise needed in trousers as well, I sound delightful). Actually wide leg trousers look loads better on me than skinnies. I am pretty slim but the proportions of skinny legs don't look good on me.
Skirts are great as long as knee length or gathered.
Dresses yes as long as the waist is in the right place and the length works.
Yes to the layering thing with something fitted and shorter on the top layer.

Today I have on denim wide culottes that fit my proper waist, not low waist (Warehouse) which makes my bottom half look longer and a short sleeved 50s style patterned blouse tucked in (from Tara Starlet). Have a fitted 3/4 sleeve cotton jumper to put on top if needed.
Flat pumps. I sadly can't wear heels apart from very very rare occasions.

BlairWaldorfLovesShopping Wed 21-Sep-16 14:58:00

This is me too. I'm 5'6 (66") and my inside leg is only 26" or so. Most of my bottoms are high waisted. If I buy skinny jeans or trousers they have to be high waisted, and cropped length too, just to be short enough for me. I'd love some high waisted wide leg trousers, but it's such a hassle as I know I'll have to chop a foot off the bottom. Jackets need to be cropped too, it makes such a difference.

The main thing is to draw the eye upwards so that it looks like your legs are more in proportion. See here, particularly outfits 1 and 6. Outfits 2, 3 and 4 show what I mean about jackets being shorter. But the key thing for me is to always always tuck the top in. I would rarely wear a loose top or shirt just hanging over trousers or jeans, unless it's short enough to mitigate with heels. (Sometimes this is the case on me, as my back's so long that the top looks shorter)

Today I'm wearing an A-line navy midi skirt which sits on my waist (which is in a "normal" place despite my long back - I never have problems with dresses, luckily), and a short sleeved jumper, with a half tuck at the front so that it's clear where the skirt begins.

Runningupthathill82 Wed 21-Sep-16 15:06:28

I second what blair said about always tucking tops in.
I'm exactly the same - 5ft 6 and short legs. I suit close fitting clothes with tops tucked in, or dresses with high waists. I also suit a midi skirt with a high waist.

I look hideous in bootcuts, flares, loose fitting tops or "tunic" tops. It looks even worse if I layer it up, with say a short jacket over a longer top.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now