Winter coats for the DC - where do you get yours?

(43 Posts)
littlecupcake Tue 20-Sep-16 07:53:14

For the last few years I've bought coats for DD (6) from BHS but they're no longer around here or online. M&S coats didn't feel very warm. Where do you get reasonably priced, warm, waterproof coats from (suitable for school playtime)? Can be any colour, not just black or navy.

Also looking for DS (3).

Thanks!

incogKNEEto Tue 20-Sep-16 07:57:46

Matalan have some waterproof, windproof and warm but breathable coats this year, they are between £26-£28 each, depending on size. I bought two, a royal blue colour and a raspberry colour, and the dc like them smile.

imsorryiasked Tue 20-Sep-16 07:58:53

We've had some from Asda and Next (puffa) type and they've been really good.

jobrum Tue 20-Sep-16 08:00:56

Verbaudet. Really good choice, I suppose because of the variation in winter across France. They often have really good discounts.

Ilovewillow Tue 20-Sep-16 08:05:50

We've had matalan and they were pretty good, but so did a lot of others so despite labelling we quite often got someone else's home!

I usually go for Joules as they are smart and warm and wash well! They are expensive but I always buy them either in the sale or when they have their 20% off - I know if I buy there it will definitely last one/two years (I buy next size up)!

mangomay Tue 20-Sep-16 08:09:42

Muddy Puddles ski jackets are lovely. I've bought them for my DCs for the last 4 years now. Very warm, waterproof and windproof and although they're a bit on the prices side, they're always having sales etc so you can get them for a really good price of you keep looking.

heatherwithapee Tue 20-Sep-16 08:10:49

H & M do nice warm and properly waterproof coats.

Also Muddy Puddles (online).

DucklingDay Tue 20-Sep-16 08:11:24

Mountain Warehouse is very popular at our school, everyone seems to have them. They are good value, I think, and often have sales.

Hoppinggreen Tue 20-Sep-16 08:11:48

Boden, usually with 20% off. Still pricey but the last one DS had lasted 3 years and is still in a fit state be passed on.

atticusclaw2 Tue 20-Sep-16 08:11:58

We tend to use surfanic.co.uk. You can generally pick up a really good coat for about £25. They have an extra 10 percent off atm. The coats we bought for the DSs last year are still in excellent condition despite having had some heavy wear including two ski trips and the fact that they are frequently used as goalposts.

Namechangenurseryconcerns Tue 20-Sep-16 08:12:44

For milder weather and school i like the Boden anorack style coats-warm enough but not stifling, shower proof and wash v well and quickly.
For properly cold weather trespass seem pretty good

strawberrybootlace Tue 20-Sep-16 08:12:45

Boden (only when on offer, for us, but excellent quality)
We've had some good jackets from Sainsburys too.
Mountain Warehouse for more outdoorsy but v functional jackets at cheap prices
Agree re. M and S jackets being too thin this year

LuchiMangsho Tue 20-Sep-16 08:15:08

Boden. Mountain Warehouse. Gap.
The mountain warehouse 3-in-1 is great. Gap has a down jacket this year for v cold weather and it means you don't have to layer up like crazy and layer off indoors (our house is warm). Boden jackets are usually fab and really last a long time.

RiverTam Tue 20-Sep-16 08:15:09

Mountain Warehouse. Look out for their 50% off everything sales.

What does 'more outdoorsy' mean? Aren't all coats for outdoors?

Allyoucaneat Tue 20-Sep-16 08:16:21

Trespass have been great for D's the past two years. Just got this year's, its a waterproof parka style was £68 reduced to £17. For that price I don't mind too much if it gets trashed in the playground.

Last year's was a 3 in 1 with zip out fleece it was great and later right through winter and spring.

strawberrybootlace Tue 20-Sep-16 08:46:23

River sorry, with outdoorsy I meant more sporty, active suitable for outdoor pursuits (hiking etc.) rather than a school uniform type coat.

CallarMorvern Tue 20-Sep-16 09:07:17

Boden ski jackets ( Expensive, so we bought second hand from Ebay). Toasty warm, waterproof and funky. But now DD needs one to fit over her blazer, so we bought a Trespass one from TKMaxx.

RiverTam Tue 20-Sep-16 09:58:43

Oh right, luckily we don't have uniform so don't have to worry about impractical coats (can't see the point of a child's coat if it can't be worn for outdoor activities!).

Pantsalive Tue 20-Sep-16 10:09:21

I've had some great bargains from Regatta Outlet

Nearlyadoctor Tue 20-Sep-16 11:20:38

Generally Boden or Joules, although last year got a gorgeous fur trimmed hooded parka from fat face.

littlecupcake Tue 20-Sep-16 11:29:49

Wow, thanks for all those suggestions, I'm looking forward to doing a bit of online shopping this evening!

Does anyone know if a 'showerproof' coat is how they describe all winter coats that will keep the rain out? Popped into Asda after the school run and had a quick look but the one I quite liked for DS (orange with furry hood trim and detachable gilet, looked SO snuggly) said 'showerproof' on the label. Would that be good enough do you think?

littlecupcake Tue 20-Sep-16 11:33:01

direct.asda.com/george/kids/coats-jackets/3-in-1-padded-jacket-with-mittens/G005436862,default,pd.html

Sorry, can't do fancy links, but this is the one!

ThomasRichard Tue 20-Sep-16 11:45:28

Joules when they do their 25% off offer. Although I've gone for Polarn O Pyret for DS this year as last year's coat from Joules wasn't very warm.

Showerproof means that they'll get soaking wet if they actually go out in the rain <bitter experience>

LemonBreeland Tue 20-Sep-16 11:49:12

We go to Decathlon. Great quality coats and fantastic prices.

SuckingEggs Tue 20-Sep-16 12:18:37

How warm are Trespass coats, please?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now