Ballet Flats and Smelly Feet

(22 Posts)
CoolToned Mon 19-Sep-16 22:50:13

Do you encounter this?

We're heading into summer here in Oz and I found some ballet flats on sale but worried they might smell.

PuertoVallarta Tue 20-Sep-16 00:06:45

I fold paper towels and put them in the bottom of my work flats. At the end of the day, I throw them out. (I use the paper towels from the kitchen at work, so it's free. grin )

Hagothehills Tue 20-Sep-16 08:58:26

these work a treat. Odour killing insoles

violetbunny Tue 20-Sep-16 09:37:24

Actifresh foot spray works a treat. It kills the odour causing bacteria. You can get it at Boots.

http://www.actifresh.co.uk

90daychallenger Tue 20-Sep-16 09:39:30

My feet stink and I wear ballet flats all spring and summer. None of the foot sprays work for me. I find a heap of shake and vac type stuff in my shoes every few days helps a bit.

duskonthelawn Tue 20-Sep-16 09:42:50

Could you use those special socks? Can't think of the name, are they called shoe liners or something? I use the because I hate wearing flats in bare feet, and unless they're really cheap shoes they've never ended up smelling.

mangocoveredlamb Tue 20-Sep-16 09:44:06

I once had some spray on socks, that really helped. I imagine that it's terrible for your feet though!

reallyanotherone Tue 20-Sep-16 09:53:09

Why are you worried they might smell?

Is there a reason ballet flats would make your feet small more than any other footwear?

As long as you wash your feet fairly regularly, and don't wear shoes constantly, feet shouldn't smell unless you have some sort of medical issue.

Lightheartedindeed Tue 20-Sep-16 09:55:18

I use scented party liners when wearing and tea bags in the shoe overnight help get rid of smells

CoolToned Tue 20-Sep-16 10:33:26

reallyanotherone - because I read that some synthetic ballet flats stink because the feet cannot breathe.

mangocoveredlamb Tue 20-Sep-16 10:40:19

My feet never smell with sandals or with shoes when worn with socks, but synthetic pumps and bare feet are terrible!

MitzyLeFrouf Tue 20-Sep-16 10:45:51

I'm sweaty of trotter and a sockless day spent in an enclosed show would be very sweaty indeed. The absorbent insoles are the best thing to counteract this. But then I have to worry about the delicate skin on my sweaty trotters. I see people wearing loafers without any socks and my heels almost get massive agonising blisters in sympathy!

I envy people with hardy unblistering feet.

BlurtonOnKites4eva Tue 20-Sep-16 10:49:02

I've had some smelly ballet flats in my time. I find its normally when you wear them loads so maybe get two pairs so you can alternate.

Mouthfulofquiz Tue 20-Sep-16 10:51:15

Get some leather ones? I rarely wear socks with shoes and leather lined is the best option.

nickEcave Tue 20-Sep-16 14:43:50

If it is synthetic shoes which are making your feet sweat and smell worse, then you can buy leather insoles, I got some from Clarks.

LockedOutOfMN Wed 21-Sep-16 00:26:00

I wear those little thin socks inside them and air out the shoes when I get home on the windowsill for an hour or so, no odour that I've discerned.

Eeeek686 Wed 21-Sep-16 00:31:19

Sprinkle lavender oil onto the insoles.... it really works!

mammmamia Wed 21-Sep-16 00:45:36

I had to throw a pair out that got a bit stinky and when it rained they were unbearable. Good tips on this thread!

mammmamia Wed 21-Sep-16 00:46:21

I meant that I got caught in a huge downpour and after that they smelled even worse

CorrigansDoorKnob Wed 21-Sep-16 07:25:50

I get this CoolToned. I also live in Oz and my feet always get hot and sweaty in ballet flats. I never have smelly feet otherwise. I've found that having 2-3 pairs of shoes and rotating wearing them really helps, so that they have time to dry out fully in between wears. I found that leather insoles have helped. I find the little sock things really uncomfortable.

SharonBottsPoundOfGrapes Wed 21-Sep-16 12:29:23

Buy sheepskin insoles. You can buy them on Amazon. I reasoned that if I can get away with wearing my Uggs barefoot in all temperatures and have no smell or dampness whatsoever then surely sheepskin/lambs wool insoles would work for other shoes. I have a cheap pair of ballet flats from Shoezone and they are great with them in.

MadisonMontgomery Wed 21-Sep-16 16:33:56

You need proper leather shoes, and some of the shoe liner socks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now