can we have 'coats for your shape' thread?

(9 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Mon 19-Sep-16 19:56:16

In much the same vein as a swimwear thread! I keep trying on coats and lacking the confidence to know if they look OK. I'm sure that different types suit different shapes better and I wonder what should go for.
Btw short, with curves. Broad shoulders I'd like to minimise. Boobs that need to be contained without being flattened or making the rest of the coat seem huge.

Hagothehills Mon 19-Sep-16 22:06:41

I have absolutely no idea on this front, I'm just happy to not freeze but it would be nice to find a coat that is flattering too so hopeful bump for the night owls!

KanyesVest Mon 19-Sep-16 22:17:06

I have a jack wolfskin ice guard that I love. I'm 5ft2, size 10/12 and hourglass-ish with big boobs. It has an internal drawstring at the waist and isn't too bulky. I've just bought a camel wrap Jaeger coat on eBay. If it's the right length it'll be fantastic. If it's too long it'll look like a dressing gown. Fingers crossed.

Rinceoir Mon 19-Sep-16 23:10:02

I 5ft4, hourglass 12-14. I bought a black wool single breasted belted wrap coat with no buttons about 6 years ago. It highlights my waist without making my bum/boobs look bigger, and has fit me slim, pregnant, fat and back down to normal again, it is the perfect coat for me.

Each winter I look for a new one (I'd buy a navy/light coloured one if I could find them) but no luck.

keeponkeepinon Tue 20-Sep-16 07:07:58

I just got a collarless double breasted to try but it doesn't really do anything for me. It doesn't really go in at the waist so doesn't give any shape. It doesn't look as I wanted it to.

The ones that tie with a belt in a knot don't work for me either. The belt ends up slipping up under my boobs and making me look pregnant!

I need something with structured seams. Smooth lines but a waist sewn in rather than something you pull in with a belt. It ends up looking cluttered and bulky on me.

I think the coats I have loved most in the past are military style or reefer/peacoats. Military can be very smart and still give a very feminine shape. It's findigg one where the metal buttons don't saw themselves off the thread is find tricky! Or look too brassy!

keeponkeepinon Tue 20-Sep-16 13:41:19

I've just got this to try from sainsburys. Shapes in at the waist and slender fit on the arms. I hate it when the arms are really baggy it makes you feel sizes bigger!

nickEcave Tue 20-Sep-16 14:36:46

I'm under five foot, 12-14 hourglass. Short wrap coats are your friend! I got a beautiful red one in a charity shop a few years ago and it's the most flattering coat I've ever had. Casual looking coats I find much harder though!

keeponkeepinon Tue 20-Sep-16 14:53:39

Wrap coats would just end up all out of place on me. Wouldnt stay where they were supposed to.

Destinysdaughter Tue 20-Sep-16 19:42:39

If you have big boobs avoid double breasted or high neck coats - despite how fashionable they may be! You need shawl collars or similar. So, just like with tops, a lower neckline. Do NOT be swayed by what's fashionable as it will never be cut for big boobs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now